SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momasgenrlcontractor

Please help w/ Granite Overhang Support

My granite island will be 4 feet wide by almost 7 1/2 feet long. I will have a 21 x 30 inch cooktop in one corner. I will have a 13 inch overhang on the long side (across from the cooktop) and a 15 inch overhang on the shorter side. I have cabinet doors on both (long) sides of the island so I can't use L brackets or corbels for support.

The fabricator wants to support it by imbedding a thin threaded metal rod in several places. It is about 1/2 inch thick at most. Until today I thought they were using metal bars. They want to install it tomorrow. They have already been here twice and had cut it wrong. Part of it is in now. I desperately want this done with. It has taken way too long and starting over with another fabricator probably isn't an option now. I already cancelled one contract because that fabricator didn't offer any way to support the granite.

Has anyone heard of supporting the granite this way? Since I have a large ratio of granite on top of the cabinets relative to the overhang do you think this is OK? Or do you recommend delaying installation again until a contractor can support it with plywood and metal bars? This was my plan if I used the first fabricator by I was relieved that this fabricator had a way to support it without my involvement. I just don't know if there approach will be safe enough.

Comments (13)