SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stefb_gw

Recycled Kitchen Plans - tile countertop

stefb
13 years ago

Hi - I've been reading the great advice here for a very long time, and hoping some of you will share your wisdom as we begin our kitchen. We built our house almost 20 years ago and have been working off and on to finish it since. Time and money never seem to coincide, but we've worked our way down to the first floor. First step is the kitchen, since it will need to happen before we can install the floors. We generally do as much as we can ourselves, and look for ways to make this affordable. (Lumber Yard guy says to use "frugal" instead of "cheap".)

The past twenty years, I've lived with a used set of hand-made cabinets that I bought for $400. This spring we bought a beautiful cherry kitchen (Kraft Maid - solid cherry doors and fronts) that was being removed from a high-end home. We bought the whole thing - over 40 cabinets, but will only use about 13 of them, and hope to sell the rest to recoup some of our "investment". (They fill our garage!) I picked out the cabinets I thought would be most useful and then came up with a lay-out that I think will work. Wish I'd remembered this forum while I was doing that!

We're planning to use porcelain tile for the counters, with a chunk of granite inset to use for pastry. Found the granite this weekend after a long search. The tile is 12.5", and our current concern is deciding the details of the countertop construction and layout. I asked a bunch of questions on the John Bridge forum, but could use more input, especially about the layout. We are going to pull the cabinets out from the wall a bit to make room for a wider countertop, so I can turn the tiles (diamond pattern). The wall is uneven, so at the back I need to figure out if it's going to bother me to have the points of the tiles chopped off by the backsplash or not. Alternate plan would mean a fairly wide grout joint at the back that would vary from tiny to about 3/8".

I'm also dithering about the underlayment for the tile. So many options! Planning on using Ditra, but still not totally sold. Has anyone used it? I did the tile floors in our laundry room, so I have a little experience, but having counters which are right up in your face makes me want them to be pretty perfect.

I have some backsplash questions as well, but that's a ways off, so I'll stop here. Crossing my fingers someone will have experience with tiled counters!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm