SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

HELP! My dream kitchen doesnt fit the rest of our house!

fiveunderfive
13 years ago

Not sure where to post this - building? Kitchens? Home decorating? I did a lot of research on these forums (and this one specifically) last year when we were planning a remodel/addition. Given the costs, we have decided to build new. We close on our land tomorrow and already have a prelim design from the architect. 11 years ago we fell in love with the 1999 Life Magazine Dream House. You may be familiar with Sarah Susanka's concept of "Not So Big" building. Well, we are building the BIG not-so-big version! We have 5 kids, with the potential for more. The downstairs is basically all open (except for an "away room" that will function as a library, study, play area, poss extra guest area with a Murphy Bed) with the living room and kitchen inline and the dining room adjacent to the kitchen. The design uses lowered ceiling heights to delineate spaces and a few columns as well. Flooring will be primarily wood (we like the multi-colors and reds of cherry or hickory but haven't decided on an actual floor yet) with a 6ft slate (or similar) walkway from front door to french doors outside in between the kit and LR and from the stairs all the way to the back through the mudroom to the garage. Sort of like a T or X diving the house into four squares. Our color scheme (along with lots of wood) will be similar to Panera colors - reds, oranges, greens, etc. Here is my dilemma....I fell in absolute love with all of the gorgeous white kitchens here. My dream for the remodel was a white kitchen with dark soapstone counters. I also really liked painted kitchens (pale yellow or another color) with white marble counters. Neither of these fit with the intense colors and wood tones of our house. I don't know how to post pics, so I hope the link works. It is not the exact house, as we are combining the two plans, but it gives you an idea of the openness, the wood, etc. Does any one have any advice??

http://www.homeportfolio.com/Pop/GreatAmericanHomes/10.19.01/pop_image.1.jhtml

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths