SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swentastic81

Marble backsplash too much??

It is SO hard to put a kitchen together without first seeing how all the materials look on a large scale - tiny samples do NOTHING!!

I am remodeling a mid century ranch home and trying to keep somewhat with the mid century/ dutch modern aesthetic.

Because this is all theoretical, please envision blonde hickory (no dark planks, just sapwood) 5" wide plank floors, tung oiled (so a little yellowsih) no stain. We're doing birch base cabinets, full overlay slabs (no fancy rails, etc) in a midrange honey color. The countertops will be black/grey soapstone with some grey veining (not too busy but some character). The SS range will be centered in a horseshoe bank of cabinets with a SS backsplash just behind the stove right up to the hood, and there will be no upper cabinets, but 2 cantilevered open wood shelves along the entire wall on either side of the hood. I hope I'm describing this effectively.

My question is about selections for the backsplash material - personally I think we need something clean and modern. Maybe glazed dove gray ceramic tiles, and I'd like to tile the whole wall to the ceiling. My husband is pushing for white and blue-gray carrera marble subway tiles because he thinks they're pretty. While I agree they're gorgeous, this just seems like it might be too much for the space. I don't want it to be too busy and I kinda want the countertops to take center stage...

What are your thoughts?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths