SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

rmkitchen-love your kitchen-any updated photos/comments?

ravmd
15 years ago

rmkitchen-

Just found some photos from April of your kitchen almost done. Wondering if you have any updates? Especially love the view from the family room.I hope you found enough storage for the things you needed. Let us know what we can learn from what you went through and what you would like to change! It is absolutely stunning!

Where is your Thermador freezer in relation to your refrigerator? I can't tell from the in progress photos.

Thanks!

Comments (32)

• msrose
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ravmd - I don't know if this is the post you saw, but it looks like the kitchen is finished here.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: rmkitchen's kitchen

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

I have a question for Brooke...where did you get your polished nickel crystal knobs? Because of you and Mindimoo, I now have Calacatta Oro Xtra (I don't have a clue what the Xtra means). So now I want your knobs! (I love all of the marble and granite I've seen here, but the Calacatta just "spoke" to me.)

Thanks!!

• Related Discussions

Photos! Mini kitchen facelift- opinions and comments please!

Q

Comments (13)
    Don't put a ceiling fan over a gas cooktop with a downdraft -- you could mess up your cooking flame and scatter fumes before they are sucked down by the downdraft. I do think the open shelves and glass cabinets are fought by the potrack and that the potrack is too large for the small island. I would take it down and install a light fixture or a couple of pendants (I have a good electrician if you are on the north side of Houston -- he's actually out of Conroe or Willis). You could also rearrange the items in those glass uppers to have a better visual flow. On the island, if you want to paint it balck and dress up the blank side, consider just applying a molding to the existing side in a rectangle to compliment but not match the doors, then paint everything to match. My cherry island has that treatment on one end and I think it's fine. If you do the island black, a black hutch where the open shelves are would give you a cleaner look and still let you have some display if you want it. I'd also consider replacing the existing crown on that one side and replacing it with a riser and stacked crown to take it to the ceiling. I'd look at doing it all the way over and across the top of the ovens and doing something (trim, paint, bringing the backsplash up higher -- maybe a combination of different things) to make that tiny bit of wall blend into the cabinets rather than emphasizing the separation.
    ...See More

RMKitchen, please

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Annetta; We are this close to being done (except for window coverings) -- I can taste it! Then I'll post Finished Kitchen photos and hopefully kind starpooh will include us in her blog. But in this post there are some photos of our kitchen. We have white perimeter cabinets with marble (Calacatta Extra) countertops and backsplash, a soft black (BM Onyx) island with maple butcherblock island, a sheer grey-blue (or blue-grey) paint (BM Pearl River) for the walls and ceiling (a 50% formulation for the ceiling) and (Restoration Hardware) polished nickel / glass hardware. (glass knobs on the doors and polished nickel bin pulls and appliance pulls) I am pretty sure we'll have roman shades made of this: or this: Most likely the former, as we have the kiwi green tot chair and "control tower" (my older child's perch for helping cook / bake), and souleiado fabrics on the chair cushions. Let me know if there are any specifics I can answer! Good luck with your project -- I love a white kitchen!
    ...See More

Herbeau kitchen faucets--any comments/reviews?

Q

Comments (21)
    I have a Herbeau faucet that has weathered beautifully but has two problems. It does not want to stay screwed to the countertop. It is a one-hole faucet. I suppose it’s supposed to be tightened beneath the counter. It gets a lot of use because it’s the main sink. We’ve had it tightened by a plumber several time but soon becomes loose again. Is there some trick to this short of supergluing it to the counter? Also the white hose for the sprayer has folded over and won’t go inside and button on the the brass head of the sprayer is stuck in the ON position. I have soaked it in white vinegar But that failed, though that worked with the button on our other Herbeau sprayer that was stuck ON, too.
    ...See More

Leibherr CS2062 - Any Photos in Your Kitchen?

Q

Comments (7)
    hi Billy, Glad that helped. I can't see why your counters couldn't be angled/curved to accommodate if necessary. (Mine are copper by the way; it's hard to identify eh?) Of course, take my info with a grain of salt, since mine is a 30" from 2008, and the design may have changed in the meantime, or the French double doors are hinged differently than the singles. Is yours the freestanding or integrated model? Running a search of the forum, I see that members Marthavilla and Kitchenkat both have the CS2602 French Door Liebbherr. Check out this forum thread for some of the issues they discussed -- and you can click on their names to send them personal email via the forum if you'd like to ask them more questions. Another resource might be a guy named Trevor at the Eurostoves store in Boston; I bought mine from him and he seems very knowledgeable about all things Liebherr. Good luck! Hope the door issue works out for you; with the minor exception of a difficult-to-clean stainless exterior (which has apparently been fixed in newer models), we utterly adore our Liebherr and have never once regretted the splurge. The thing is sleek, silent and keeps our produce fresher than I'd have believed possible.
    ...See More
  • ravmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link-I don't know if I missed that one or didn't go down far enough and checked the FKB but didn't see it. Thank you!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

We are having thunderstorms here today -- it's a cool, grey, wet day and you can bet your incredibly kind messages are like wonderful rays of sunshine! Thank you so much.

Well, I haven't posted finished pictures yet because we're not finished -- we're close, but not quite there. And given the incredible quality of the kitchens we see on the FKB I didn't want to post until we were there (or at least closer than we are now!). It's just niggling stuff, like some more furniture feet need to be attached and the knobs for the dishtowels, plus another stand for inside a glass cupboard ....

That's one thing I'd do differently: the glass-fronted cupboards we have are for display, but because the frame (around the glass) is so wide it cuts off a lot of viewing area. So we've (okay, my husband) cut pieces of scrap lumber to act as platforms. It's working out fine, but I think I'd ask for false bottoms in those cupboards the "next" time. Ha ha!

{{gwi:1886493}}{{gwi:1886494}}

ravmd -- thank you so much for saying such nice things! I appreciate it more than you know.

Our freezer is on the left of the passageway to the dining room with the refrigerator on the right (just next to the ovens). In this picture (before the panels were applied) you can see them flanking the passageway:

and here they are with the panels (pictures just taken, so this is how we actually live ...):

marlene -- I know, isn't mindimoo's marble to die for? I'm so glad you got the Calacatta Xtra too! I love how we're this club. I absolutely know what you mean about it speaking to you: I feel the same way! I've been thinking about (as ravmd wrote) what I could have done differently, and one is choosing a different marble. As you know, that Xtra is xtra expensive. Ouch. But the truth is, whenever I look at the other marble choices I had (carrara, calacatta, statuario), none of them "spoke to me," as you so aptly wrote. So if I had chosen one of them with an eye on budget, I probably would've been disappointed every time I walked into the kitchen, thinking "man, why didn't I just spend the 'xtra' money and get what I really wanted?"

Anyway, the polished nickel / glass knobs are from Restoration Hardware. They are terrific -- they feel good in the hand (no sharp edges), clean up like a breeze (although in truth, I haven't noticed that they've been too dirty so it's not as if I've cleaned them much) and are sooo pretty. I'm a sucker for sparkle!

Something else I'd do differently: on either side of our cooktop we have spice pull-outs, two below and two above.
    uppers here:

lowers here:
    {{gwi:1886496}}

Well, given that youre not able to get a full view of the cooktop and the lower spice pull-outs (as the island blocks the view), symmetry is in this instance totally overrated! And I could really, really use those extra few inches for the drawer bank to the left of the spice pull-out. (ItÂs where I have some of my baking dishes.)
    {{gwi:1886497}}
    Problem is, my husband has both the lower spice pull-outs filled to the brim, so he would be hard-pressed if we didnÂt have them. Go figure!

One of my favorite details are the quirks, or the routed lines which fool the eye into thinking itÂs a bank of drawers or a separate door.

We have them all over, on the bottom of the fridge and freezer panels (to look like the bank of four drawers) and on the pantry.

{{gwi:1886499}}

Our cabinetmaker thought I went overboard with both the quirks and then the application of (false) pulls and knobs. CanÂt help it  I love them so much!

Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts as weÂre living in the kitchen. In general, though, we love it. It is functioning incredibly well plus I think it is just so pretty Â.

If you have any questions IÂll absolutely do my best to answer them. It probably wonÂt be until July (at the rate weÂre going, seriously) that IÂll be able to post finished pictures. But when itÂs done IÂll be here!

• marlene_2007
    15 years ago

Brooke, your kitchen is exquisite!

I'm actually putting the marble in my MB because we had to finish the baths first due to a flooding issue (Oye!) Anyway, although the Calacatta is expensive, every time I see yours, I KNOW I made the correct decision..(it's everything else I'm agonizing over.)

Anyway, enough about me....I am SO happy that you got the kitchen of your dreams....I remember when you posted about the nightmare with the KD....you've come a long way, Brooke!! (...of course in so doing, you've cost ME a lot of money!!!!)

• ravmd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for taking the time with the additional photos-I now understand the opening between the fridge and freezer. And I love your pantry pullouts -everything is so nicely done.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

That's a truly gorgeous kitchen! There is so much in it that I love. It feels tranquil, calming, and cool. What is the name of the icy blue-grey paint on the wall? I just went through 9 different shades trying to find the one that wasn't too purple, bright blue, blah gray, green, dark, light, blah blah blah.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Thank you bluekitobsessed! To me the kitchen looks icy, so I love that you described the paint as "icy blue-grey." Like you, it took me a long time (& many samples) to find the right color for precisely the same reasons as yours. We finally hit pay-dirt with Benjamin Moore's Pearl River 871 (Matte Finish); on the ceiling is a 50% formula of Pearl River (Flat Finish).

Here's a picture of more of that wall:

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous. I don't think I've ever seen a kitchen with so much storage. Wonderful!!

• beachbum
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, Brooke. I've bookmarked it to go in my inspiration file. I love what you did with the chalkboards, perfect for the little ones. I think your description of "icy" is just perfect. I love the cool tones.

Would you mind sharing how large your pantry area is? How is it working out for you? I think the marble that separates the top and bottom is beautiful, but does it serve a practical purpose? Are all 3 top "cabinets" pull outs? What about the bottom? I'm giving up a walk in pantry in my remodel, and while the current space is under utilized I'm nervous about where all that stuff is going to go!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I just love your kitchen. It is so beautiful. I love the marble and the painted cabs. That is the look I wanted initially for my kitchen. So glad I could live vicariously through you. Just gorgeous!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Brooke--had to jump in real quick here to tell you how beautifully it turned out!!!

PS how are the boys, kitties, and puppy? :-)

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Hi Brooke!

I've been wondering about you too! It has all come together so exquisitely! And, so interesting the little quirks about the layout that bother you, no one else would ever notice!

Yes, how is the little Ruffin-muffin? More words, steps?

Tres Magnifique, mon amie!
    Mindi

PS I'm not posting pics until we are done either. We are also in the last 3% mode...I can't find pendants I love....
    Suggestions? I'm sure with your fabulous style, you must have!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Thank you again for all the kind words! This is esp. great as we had a minor fire in the kitchen the other evening. It was the first (and foreseeable future, last) time I used the broiler and as soon as I'd put the item in and closed the oven door it (casserole) caught fire. When I opened the door to try and put out the fire the flames lept up the cabinetry on top of the oven.

Everything turned out fine (baking soda!) and almost all the black on the cabinets I was able to scrub off (I guess it was just greasy soot). Phew! Because honestly, my first thought was "oh no! I haven't taken pictures yet!"

Marlene -- I did know about your flooding but didn't put two and two together .... I am so sorry! On the bright side (hello Pollyanna), what a thrill you'll have in your bathroom with "our" calacatta. What a thing of beauty! Think how superlative your kitchen is going to be when you do it -- all this time to plan everything to the nth degree. I shall definitely be watching for your kitchen! And you have a phenomenal memory -- thank you for your incredibly kind words. I appreciate it terrifically!

beachbum -- Thank you for the compliments! Well, what we're calling our pantry is 53" wide. (Specifically, left - right [the uppers]: 50" high, 65" high, 44" high.) All three uppers are those pantry pull-out units and I'll tell you, we do NOT like them. They (by Rev-a-Shelf) claim to be adjustable and while in theory they are, they're not practical. We can barely squeeze in a box of cereal (upright), but if we were to adjust the next chrome box up we'd gain a ridiculous amount of space. We also cannot stack cans atop one another with these, even though they're soft-close, blah blah blah, the cans topple over.

We think that for us, the way we utilize our pantry and our particular food storage issues, that we would have been better off with even fixed shelves (of course roll-outs are fabulous). But even the fixed shelves would have allowed us to stack the cans (for example) and see everything at once. Actually, that's my husband's pet peeve: he really hates not being able to see all our food at once. I can't blame him, because even still I'll find myself opening all three pull-outs looking for a particular item.

I know for others the pull-out pantry units work well but for us, not so much.

The 3" deep marble ledge is pure decoration, to help break up the floor-to-ceiling expanse of cabinetry. I know us, and I know if the ledge were any deeper we'd put stuff on it and then every time we wanted to open a pull-out we'd have to take whatever off the ledge. Now that's not to say it wouldn't be handy to have a real ledge there! But for clutterbugs like us, it would have been an exercise in frustration (& for me, swearing!).

The bottom portion of the pantry is, on the right, a bank of four 17" wide drawers (they hold napkins, placemats, candles, appliance manuals, children's book / toy drawer) and then on the left we have two doors with three roll-outs inside. They're 34" wide (30" high) and they hold pet food and big platters / trays, etc. They could hold more food, too, but so far (thank goodness!) we haven't had to resort to it. There's also a drawer underneath the far right pantry pull-out: it has an outlet in the back of it and we'd planned for it to be our "charging station" but right now it's filled with pens, post-it pads and candy I'm hiding from my sons. Again, when I get it together to really organize that drawer will be the perfect spot for stashing our little-used cell phones!

If you'd like me to take specific pictures / measurements of the pantry please let me know and I absolutely shall! Anything which can help I am happy to do, beachbum.

To the right of the pantry is a 6" wide broom closet pull-out. Right now we only have pegs holding our broom & dustpan and stepladder. We have fantasies of it holding more, but haven't gotten it together enough to organize .... We even had that closet electrified (meaning: there's a plug in the back with an extension / multiplier feeding through, but we had a little miscommunication with our cabinetmaker about the width. See, we (stupidly) thought 6" meant 6". But in this case it didn't. Our stick vac needed all those 6", but the door on the closet is 6" wide whereas the interior is Robin -- everyone is great! Thank you so much for thinking of us. It's funny, because yours is the example I have in my mind of what a kitchen should look like before being posted. But the truth is, your kitchen is so stunning that if I wait for that the photos will never happen. I know us!

Genki (puppy) is perfect -- the boys love her and she adores them. Phew! But she and Dashiell (the kitten who went missing) are the best of friends, and to watch them play together and chase each other around just warms my heart. I love how much they love each other, regardless of species! As a cat_mom I know you'll understand my sentiment ....

Ruffin is (mostly) walking! He has to hold onto my finger but we are walking all over the place now. He doesn't understand why I am so excited but he's a sucker for the cuddles and kisses and tickling (I give him after walking), so he keeps the walking up to get more of them. Next week he'll be two years-old, so this is the best birthday present (for me -- he's getting a wheelbarrow and garden tools).

I know I'm an obnoxious mother but he's just worked so hard to get here and I am so proud, relieved and grateful. Thank you Robin and Mindi for your incredibly kind and appreciated support!

And Mindi, pendants ... now you've got me thinking. Your kitchen is so incredibly gorgeous (one of my all-time favorites) that I can see why you might be stuck: something to compliment and make sense but not go too far or look twee. Hmm.

One of my all-time favorite pendants is the Knickerbocker by Hinkley Lighting, but it comes in a brass finish which is, let's face, totally wrong for your kitchen! Shoot. Any inspiration pictures? I'm definitely going to be thinking.

• beachbum
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Brooke, for the detailed response about your pantry. It was particularly helpful because our space is about the same size.
    I'm glad to know about your experience with the pantry pull outs. DH and I had been debating about the same issue.
    From looking at your pictures, I don't understand why your uppers are different heights.
    I'm sure I'll have another question or two. Thanks so much for your offer to help.
    Best,
    Marci

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

WOW - what a GREAT kitchen!! I love the false knobs and pulls, you did a wonderful job! Looks like you have a great view out the breakfast window too...

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Thanks Brooke!

Well, congratulations on your new walking partner! That must be very uplifting and rewarding after all his (and your) hard work!

OT and for your comment:

Funny, since I saw your beautiful chandeliers, I have sort of been stuck on modern lighting, when I originally thought traditional. We were leaning toward mercury glass, but I can't find in the right size or shape. I do think we need the sparkle of glass, but not crystal.

On the modern side:

clean and simple, check out the picture of the 3 in a row:
    http://ylighting.com/fuscia1.html?pgo=0,12,kitchendining-5 I do like this one a lot, but not sure if it's too modern, because it might make me change my dining room fixture.... DH wasn't so enamored of it either.

sort of, but not exactly:
    http://www.lightology.com/index.cfm/method-light.store_profile/sku-0802SU-DAMASCC-005H1-CLSN/dept-Suspension/szdept_label-Suspension

more traditional, but I think we need glass:
    http://www.circalighting.com/item.asp?idProduct=1120&Cat=Ceiling%20Lamps

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Marci -- the different heights of the pantry pull-outs:

{{gwi:1886501}}{{gwi:1886502}}

You'll see that on the left, it has the glass display cupboard atop, and then the middle is pure pantry pull-out while the far right has both the "charging" drawer on the bottom and the glass display cupboard on top. So they're all different heights, although from the front (when everything is closed) they appear uniform.

I think if we only had one pull-out we probably wouldn't hate them so much (I know "hate" is such a strong word, but we really, really dislike them) but you know what? If we had fixed shelves / some roll-outs I bet we'd still find something about which to complain. I guess there's no perfection in reality ... although I know what you mean about a walk-in pantry! Next life.

tinker -- wow, coming from you with your exceptional taste that is some compliment! Thank you.

Mindi, as usual, I love your taste. Love it! Those lighting links are something else, and I guess at first (based on the classic styling of the kitchen) I would've leaned toward your third (Circa Lighting).

However, also knowing about your classic, clean lines (your black and white wardrobe, for example) and my own personal adoration of modern lighting, I'm personally leaning toward your first two links.

On the one hand, I like the first light because it has v. clean, pure lines which I think both compliment and don't fight with what you've got going on in your kitchen (and I'm including all those gorgeous aspects!). Except, if you're husband isn't too keen on it and you suspect it would clash with your existing dining room fixture (necessitating a change) ... well, then that's a no-go.

Your second link is just terrific. I love how the "beehive" glass feels both modern but also traditional -- is that what they call "transitional"? Okay, so it's transitional but not in an Ethan Allen way (no offense Ethan Allen). I bet you'll know what I mean before I dig this hole any deeper, but it doesn't feel half-assed to me. It feels clean and striking.

I guess the reason I love a modern-ish light fixture in a classic, traditional setting is the same reason you have to add some salt to cookie dough, or that a pinch of coffee heightens the chocolate -- it's that extra oomph.

We're off to rock climbing, but later on tonight I'll try to poke around and see if I can find a pendant which screams MINDI at me. Although it may be impossible to improve on your choices. Wait -- are these for ambient light or task light? Will they be going above your island? I'm thinking ....

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

You are such a sweetheart Brooke (loved your comments on the NYC get-together thread!).

You have to keep in mind, that I didn't take /post full kitchen pics until nearly a year after our kitchen was completed (so I had plenty of time to work out my "cleaned-up" for company kitchen look!), AND I cleared all the junk off the counters and "staged" the kitchen just for the photo-taking (normally there are at least some papers, mail, a to-do list or two....on the message center/tabletop/island...).

Glad all family members (furry and otherwise!) are doing well. Now you have a lovely kitchen to enjoy with that lovely family of yours!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Thanks Brooke!

Rock climbing, sounds fabulous! Where you live there must be lots of opportunities for climbing. We have lots of rock climbing around the Seattle area too! Wish I had the upper body strength for that - and, many other activities! (neck issues- car accident a couple years ago).

Your comments about the lighting were great - and, very much appreciated, a lot of the same thoughts I have when I look at them.

In actuality, if I ended up having to change the light fixture in the dining room, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Also, I guess you would say they will be for ambient light, as there is plenty of other lighting with all the recessed can and two task specific mini cans over the island. As you know, the white of the marble makes for easy lighting as well. During the day, I don't even need the lights on to work, even with our grey skies!

Thanks again, my friend!

• louisianapurchase
    15 years ago

Brooke,

First, thanks so much for the pantry shelf info. I have a space in my future remo. that will serve as the pantry and every time I look at it I think of your pantry (in fact I have your pantry printed in my remo. book.) Just this weekend I was looking at that space and figuring shelves, pull-outs, or the individual shelf pull-outs. Your statement has solved that issue!!!

Second, I am sorry to hear about your fire but glad you were able to get it cleaned up without any significant damage. I think those things happen just to keep us on our toes!! :) For instance, my driving thru our den once into the gas heater just b/c I was trying to read the mail, save my drink (non-alcholic at that moment), and park the car all at once!!!

Third, I am so glad to hear about Ruffin. That made my day!! Just to have that little hand wrapped around your finger....nothing like it!!! My little one is doing just that now. I know your feeling is just that much sweeter with all of the hard work he has been doing to get to this point. Go ahead, scream it from the rooftops, y'all deserve it!!!

Oh and eat up all of the sugar he doles out....mine is quite stingy with his. This past weekend, for whatever reason, he was being very generous with his kisses...I took all I could get :)

Shannon

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Shannon -- holy cow! That is some story. I am so glad you are okay.

And thank you for your nice, really sweet words about Ruffin. Tomorrow is his second birthday and it's great about the cuddles and walking. The cuddles are esp. welcome as I just had a miscarriage, so I am feeling rather sorry for myself -- trying not to let my heart be broken but it feels sorta out of my control. When I came online and I saw all the congrats for igloochic's early pregnancy I felt so deflated -- it's great for her, but I'm just feeling sad for myself. I may have to stay off GW for a while, until hearing (reading) someone else's happy news doesn't pierce my soul.

Oh well.

On the bright side, Saturday is Ruffin's birthday party (a semi cocktail party), and tonight I baked about seventy-five cupcakes. Earlier in the week I baked white pepper shortbread. This kitchen is wonderful! The following weekend is the first of my older son's two parties, and then the next weekend (the last of June) is our final birthday party.

Anyway, thanks again for all the nice sentiments -- I appreciate them more than you know.

And Mindi -- I dashed my previous post off too quickly: I don't rock climb -- my three year-old does! They call him (seriously) "thirty pounds of pure rock climbing muscle." He is truly a phenom. Back in '02 my husband I climbed Mt. Everest and since then I have just been done with climbing. Finito. That trip was so hard and so emotionally trying (& gratifying, of course) that I still, five years later, feel spent. I'm a mild climber, more like serious hiking. If crampons are required I am outta there. But you know, I beat my hair into flatiron submission so I don't want to do anything which might mess it up ....

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! It is not only beautiful, but so practical. Love it!

I also want to say that I am so sorry about your baby. I know how badly your heart hurts right now, and I just wanted to say I am sorry. Though I don't know you at all, you will be in my prayers tonight.

Love all over your little ones while they still let you. I have to chase one of my boys all over the house and pin him down just to get a hug now.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the fire but glad everyone is OK. Congrats on the birthday and Ruffin's walking. Whooo Hooo! WTG.

I had some lighting (more modern) pendants that I was going to have over my sink. Unfortunately, I finally remembered my sink was not centered over my window and it would probably look funny with only one light in that area. Since I am on strict budget, couldn't and didn't want to do pendants all the way across my window wall. Here are some pictures. Hope it helps.
    {{gwi:1886503}}
    {{gwi:1886504}}
    {{gwi:1886505}}
    {{gwi:1886506}}
    {{gwi:1886507}}

I think they would be beautiful with the marble and the cabs. But, they are a very modern look. BTW, they do come in different sizes as well.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Brooke, you've got mail....

• malhgold
    15 years ago

rmkitchen - just saw your faucet on another post and I was wondering if you could share the info. Looks like you have a second faucet to the left of the pull down? Thanks

• gglks
    15 years ago

hi rmkitchen,

thanks for in pic of your stainless steel sink from another posting! i was wondering if it tends to get dirty with little fingerprints???? also, what color is the paint in your family room?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

bump

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

malhgold -- you and I go way back (to last autumn, talking about the Thermador columns)!

The second faucet you see (on the far left) is both an insta-hot & filtered water faucet. It's Mountain Products Little Gourmet MT1401 in stainless. We're up ~5,400 feet (altitude), so it's harder for water to get as hot up here, so my only (small) complaint with this unit may just be altitude-related. It's hot, but not as hot-hot as the Japanese kettle we used to keep (on the countertop). For instance, it's not hot enough for instant oatmeal but is for tea. Live and learn! Otherwise, we love it. It is easy to use, was easy to install, was NOT expensive (yea!) and is a breeze to clean. I also like how it has really clean, unfussy lines (because I have so much other fussiness in the kitchen).

gglks -- the paint is Aura (Benjamin Moore) Frappe, AF-85. I have to say I haven't noticed any fingerprints on the sink ... but there are water spots (inside and on the rim). But of course, those just wipe right up with a sponge (when I'm so inclined, ha ha!) I'm not a belt-wearer but my husband is, but we also haven't noticed any scratching on the outside of the sink.

I just went and double-checked: no fingerprints, no scratches. There are some scratches on the bottom of the (interior of) the sink and, as I wrote, water spots, but other than that, nothing. And I only noticed the scratches because I was jut now really looking for blemishes.

The sink is Bates and Bates Farmhouse 12 Gauge Satin Stainless Sink.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Brooke - how did you remember that? While you're done with your kitchen, I'm still "talking" about mine. It's taken me forever to feel comfortable with a layout I can live with and I had to exhaust every option before getting to that point. I did buy the columns and they are sitting in my DR as we speak. Could you also give me the info on the main faucet? Thanks so much.....and your kitchen is spectacular!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I remember because I misspelt your userid (transposed the l and h) and was mortified -- I really hate misspelling names ... and I didn't want you to think I didn't respect your name!

I'll tell you, I think you are so smart to take a l-o-n-g time with the floorplan. With some things we didn't take long enough and I kinda rue it. And now that it's done, there is no way we are going to change things! Nothing major, but the realization that if we'd taken a little longer maybe some of these things would've presented themselves. Oh well!

The main faucet I learned about from a former poster, susanandmarkw (of the "Something's Gotta Give" inspired ktichen).

The faucet is the Pegasus Commercial Kitchen Faucet from Expo Design Center. We don't have an Expo here in Colorado, so I picked one at random (Tennessee) and they sent it to me. Shipping was only $7 -- how crazy is that? I think the faucet itself was ~$350, but I can't remember for sure. Maybe it was less?

We like it. There are two things I've noticed: 1) because we also have a super-deep sink I can't get the faucet head really far down into the sink bowl. And because our sink has zero radius (meaning: sharp edges where the sink walls meet the sink bottom) crud can get caught there. It's not the end of the world but something I have noticed .... 2) There's no way to lock the spray on. Or if there is, we haven't discovered it yet! I will say the handle to hold the spray is really comfortable -- not hard to squeeze at all and the shape fits comfortably in the palm of the hand. And I love that there's just a simple hook to hold the faucet -- nothing to click it up into. It's a v. simple, straightforward and intuitive faucet.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Thanks so much!!! And please, no disrespect...LOL!!! We actually have an Expo about 1/2 hour away so I might take a ride there later this week. Glad to know you're happy with the faucet.