SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Are We Our Kitchens?

aliris19
12 years ago

I’ve tallied here responses from four related threads, in order of posting:

Are we disproportionately numbers-oriented?

how many of you are in the humanity-related disciplines?

Any differences betw a 'math' kitchen and a 'humanities' kitchen?

Any difference betw a 'polymath' kitchen and its opposite

I think it goes without saying (probably) that anyone here is at bottom, interested in design and style in some sense. The essence of my question though is whether this axiomatic grounding is overlain disproportionately with “numbers-oriented” types. Whatever that means. No question there’s some definitional drift going on! But what this means in practice is that if you’ve identified yourself as “both” (no one ever claimed this was a meaningful dichotomy), you got stuck in the ‘numbers-oriented’ vat - the question really inquiring as to whether there is any part of your vocational or professional self that is numbers-oriented; whether you are at least numbers-oriented. Moreover, I labeled the second group ‘not numbers-oriented’ though assignment to this group was never billed as such. I agree as was pointed out that all of life is numbers-oriented, increasingly more-so. Still, some of us comfortably self-identify with that characterization and persnicketiness aside, others are unambiguously there, like it or not.

This really wouldn’t pass muster with any review board; it’s obviously biased six ways to Sunday. No matter if no one takes it overly seriously. Grain of salt please. No offense intended. No real steady claims asserted. I hope no one minds my collecting together responses like this. I thought it was pretty darned interesting. If I accidentally edited away something important in the interest of brevity, please forgive me. If it matters to you, email offlist and I’ll fix the list and repost.

Also please note, profession-title alone often doesn’t reveal “orientation”. For example “life science” - that can run the gamut from hard-core math to horse-whispering. I just tried to leave people in the camp they self-selected where it wasn’t otherwise obvious-ish their underlying flavor.

FWIW I’m beginning to trend toward the suggestion that sufficiently lucrative jobs that could enable remodeling tend to be numbers-oriented. As others have suggested. That is, not necessarily some inherent predilection, but perhaps rather, a practical one. In the end I decided not even to count membership in the two groups. The groups are just too loosely defined to even make me want to know that number. But I think the 'Non' list is longer, fwiw.

“Numbers-oriented”

advanced: Retired H.S. math teacher and now work PT @ medical practice handling "patient services" So the answer is yes.

aliris19: Statistics.

Beekeeperswife: BS in Logistics.

billy_g: No, I am not disproportionately numbers-oriented, but if I had to guess I would say the proportion is about 82.35%. :-)

blfenton: I was on my way to majoring in sociology until I realized it wasn't going to get me a paycheck. Commerce grad here - definitely math/marketing stats oriented. For me, designing a kitchen appeals to the sense of proportion, symmetry and being logical in me.

buehl: Let's see...Major in Mathematics, Concentration in Computer Science, and Minor in Physics. In IT my entire career, both in scientific (preferred) and business areas.

celineike: I am terrible at math but completely numbers oriented. I see pictures of numbers/dates and never forget them. And I'm an artist.

celtinNE: Finance degree 1st, masters in education 2nd. Currently Business Education Department Chair in an urban high school. LOVE my job! In my previous life I was the Director of Finance for an pocket-protector engineering firm.

cienza: Accounting & auditing; spreadsheets, formulas and calculations all day long, eleven hours a day, sometimes six days a week. Good thing I like numbers-

colin3: Classics B.A. Straight downhill since; now an economist.

davidro1: I'm comfortable in both.

dianalo: I have to admit to being a mathlete in my day

efs: research in biotechnology; PhD in molecular biophysics and MSc in chemistry with BS in chemical engineering

florantha: I am not numbers oriented but I live in the real world.

fori: Life sciences.

Ginny20: I love math and numbers. My MBA 100 years ago had a concentration in operations research, which is basically applied calculus for business modeling.

gsciencechick: B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in health/life sciences fields.

homey_bird: I'm in Technology, with a science+math background.

Ironcook: i have an engineering degree/background but i wanted to be a dance major!

Johnliu: Mathematics, law, and business degrees. None of those sound very humanity-ish. But it turns out that the bizarre and entertaining thing we call the capital markets are more about people than about numbers or widgets, finance or economics. And so was litigation, back when I was still a practicing lawyer. Damn humans. You can't get away from them.

johnorange: Aquatic Biologist...Undergrad in biomedical science, graduate in aquatic biology with minor in applied statistics. Music and remodeling are hobbies.

kaysd: I am a mix. I have a B.A. in English Literature and love to read. I am a tax attorney, so my work combines numbers, logic, analytical skills and writing (but not creative writing

kitchendreaming: Ph.D. in Physics here ;-)

lascatx: I was good at math and enjoyed it. I started practicing law, specialty was business reorganizations/bankruptcy -- lots of numbers. However, all my undergrad and post practice life have involved the arts.

lavender_lass: I majored in history and economics with a french minor and wound up in finance.

Macybaby: I'm an accountant by trade,

marcydc: Math/comp sci here too :)

mcmjilly: I'm a musician-turned-programmer. It's not uncommon since music theory and math and logic line up nicely. I think number people would make decent designers since they might be better able to characterize WHY a look does or does not work, since a lot of times, it has to do with proportions and symmetry.

Mindstorm: I'm an engineer - BS was a double major in Math and Physics; MS in Math and Electrical Engineering; PhD in Aerospace Engineering, working in a lab as an aerospace research engineer.

Missstella: I'm a SAHM and part time small business bookkeeper.

mtnrdredux: I majored in stats and econ undergrad, and finance in grad school, and did my time on Wall St. There was a lot i enjoyed about it, but it isn't exactly a passion, kwim?

plllog: I'm polymathic.

prill: Accountant in the Computer Science department at a University.

Redhead47: I am an enrolled agent, but now not actively involved in doing taxes. I majored in journalism & creative undergrad, and have an M.A. in psychology, guidance & counseling. I actually have what I guess is a weird memory for numbers.

redwood15: BS in Agricultural Biological Engineering. I'm a Civil Engineer.

slush1422: I always said I hated math - wasn't good at it, but for some reason every job I've ever had - part of my job duties was accounting, payroll, budget planning, charts, graphs, creating databases,?

susanka: I'm into quantum mechanics, but I can't do the math so I have only a limited conceptual appreciation.

Trancemission: I love numbers, although I probably couldn't get through graduate-level advanced math courses if I tried. . I graduated with an econ degree (Go Cal!). My daily work life is all about risk models, portfolio construction, econometrics, VaR, etc.

vitamins: BA and MA in Mathematics. Taught HS Math for a few years (loved math and loved teaching it to students who were interested, but I hated having to be a policeman), so I ended up doing income taxes.

vitamins: I guess I would have to admit to being numbers-oriented. Have always loved Math, and have both a BA and MA in it.

wizardnm: I'm not sure what I am, other than a real mixture. I have excelled at math but am very creative. Economics and geography majors in college. Ended up in retail management and from there became a sales rep in the home decor, gift and art supply industries.

Wwwonderwhiskers: First degree in Commercial & Advertising Photography, re-certified myself, and am now an IT Consultant.

NON “Numbers-oriented”

babushka_cat: BFA, general fine arts

beaglesdoitbetter: BA in English. Law degree but did not practice for even a day. I write legal textbooks and articles.

beckysharp: Another historian here; ran away to a farm over 15 years ago.

breezygirl: BA in Political Science. Worked communications for my state's governor (future U.S. ambassador to China)

brenjun: I am an Occupational Therapist and work with children with special needs in a grade school.

caryscott: I have an undergraduate degree in Sociology and work as a Collections Manager with a federal heritage collection.

celineike: Ya, artist.

chisue: I am a math-phobe. My major was journalism. I've been a "Crusader" for some "Causes" over some of my life.

circuspeanut: Literature professor.

darbuka: BA in English...taught HS English for a few years; preschool.

dawn_t: Nursing Degree - work with adults with special needs.

debbie1031: BS in Criminal Justice, and a Nursing Degree that I don't use

djg1: Humanities background, yes, but not working in it. Law and policy work for a living, and I was doing and teaching science prior to law school, but I do have a philosophy degree from way back when (albeit the technical end of philosophy), and taught the subject. And if we want to talk about my crazy misspent youth, there was a year studying painting.

doggonegardener: Theater major here. Graduated. Switched to photography later. Now I work in Animal Control/Sheltering.

domesticah: BA in History. JD. Practiced corporate law (M & A) 5 years and now dedicate my energies to my kids and various volunteer postions.

efc54: BA in English, JD, practiced law, then did legal editing, then general interest editing, trying to write now.

farmgirlinky: Medicine.

florantha: Yes (humanities)!

flynnnj: Technology Department Chair; non-practicing Principal; business and education degrees.

francoise47: Historian.

gharborwa: Anthropology Degree, grant-writer, University Administrator. Now on long-term hiatus!

Ginny20: My husband and I own an art gallery.

greenhousems: Food Science major but I sell phone systems and internet to businesses.

holligator: I'm a college professor who studies language and literacy development in children and effective methods for teaching kids who struggle in those areas.

honorbiltkit: I am functionally innumerate [i.e., in its eagerness to see the back of me, my alma mater allowed me to graduate with NO math] but have been acutely aware of the proportions and lighting of interior spaces forever. BA in English literature.

jakabedy: My undergrad degree is in journalism, then a JD.

jerzeegirl: B.A. and M. A. in Art History.

juniork: I deal with hormones all day long...if they're not pregnant, then they're peri-menopausal. How's that for my own little version of humanity?

kateskouros: BFA parsons school of design, editorial art director on hiatus for the past ten years.

katieob: B.S. and M.A Degrees in Elementary Education, Post M.A. Degree (C.A.G.S) in Educational Leadership, 11 years in an urban school system. Now SAHM and will return in a few years when the newborn goes to school.

KayceeFL: Paralegal here.

kellykath: Part time art teacher.

kngwd: BA is sociology, and Master's in Education. Couldn't find a teaching job so I work in insurance.

ladoladi: BA in English and MFA in Creative Writing here. I teach composition and literature at the college level.

lascatx: Choir, theater and speech kid in high school and beginning college, BFA in Radio-TV-Film, minor in journalism, then JD.

lavender_lass: Majored in European history and international economics, taught economics and now work a lot in finance.

leel: BS in Interdisciplinary Studies w/ a concentration in science; Masters in Library Science (medical librarian); Doctorate in Medical Humanities.

lisa_a: I have a BA in Psychology, worked as a detox counselor at an alcohol and drug rehab center for 2 years.

louisianapurchase: Degreed in science...passion is in the humanities.

louisianapurchase: Words cannot express how much I hate math and numbers! I entered college majoring in Interior Design. After some different life altering changes, I ended up with a Bachelor of Science in off all things....Agribusiness (don't ask, I currently work in public health in vector borne related diseases.

mabeldingeldine: Communications and history, lots of work in various nonprofits, and I now work in higher ed in community based learning.

marita40: Ph.D. in English; literature professor and writer

marthavila: Another retired attorney here (con law and public interest litigation) and former art gallery owner as well.

melissastar: Government and economics major many years ago. Managing editor for a group of business newsletters.

muskokascp: BSc in Marine Biology then moved on to a DVM. Grew up with a interior designer for a Mom which is where my love of fashion and design comes form. Also have an artsy side and did attend high end craft/artisan shows until lack of time pulled me away. Dabble with the cello. A real mix of interests I guess.

oldhousegal: BFA in Music Performance, minor in voice. Didn't pay the bills, so went on to a nursing degree. I'm a big time DIY'er which keeps me sane from my day job in the ER! But the background in the arts truly play out in my current projects.

pondlily: Nurse, with many years of maternity and labor/delivery experience.

Redhead47: B.A. in English & journalism, M.A. in psychology, guidance & counseling. (similar to sumnerfan)

redheaddeluxe: BA and MA in English, then went on to get a JD. I was a litigator at a big law firm for 11 years, now I'm practicing "in-house" (in both cases specializing in employment law).

redroze: Honors degree in Humanities and Mass Communications.

remodelfla: Teacher here... we're suppose to impact humanity but are hardly treated human.

sayde: PhD in English but college teaching positions were hard to come by in 1974 so went to work at Xerox -- managed Market Research and worked in strategy and product planning for 24 years. Retired in 1998. painting for about 12 years and sometimes do portrait commissions

sochi: International human rights & refugee law.

sombreuil_mongrel: I suffered math anxiety from third grade on. Notice how I write third instead of 3rd? Numbers, Ugghh! Liberal arts degree; Historic Preservation.

sumnerfan: Me! I have a BA and Masters in English and a minor in psychology.

sumnerfan: I am not math or numbers oriented. I have an BA and a Masters in English, however I might be a little OCD. lol.

susanka: Retired M.S. in counseling psychology with a focus on post-trauma counseling. Now I'm the prez of an all-volunteer nonprofit.

ttla: BA in English Lit. But my heart is in Interior Design.

withoutanh: Started in French lit and psychology, ended up with a BS in Nursing and later went for education as a library assistant.

Comments (16)