SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcclerk_gw

First 'real' post- feedback on layout, please

dcclerk
15 years ago

Hi! I'm Dcclerk and I have been reading this forum for months, but only very recently became sufficiently convinced that this build would actually happen to try posting here. This is my first "real" post, and I hope to become part of this community. I have seen you all make great suggestions for others, and I would be honored if you would do the same for me.

I've spent TONS of time trying to figure out the right layout for our very open floorplan. I honestly have read at least 20 books trying to get ideas, and yet I am still not convinced I am there. On this floor, you will be able to see from the front door, through the living room, kitchen, dining room, to the office in the back. Because of this layout, I really only have one wall (the east wall which is at the bottom of the picture) for upper cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer. I will need to use the whole upper cabinet for drinkware, so pretty much everything else will be in drawers.

Other items of note: I have 3 small kids (all 5 and under), and may some day end up with 4. Even my 1 year old eats like an adult. I have to have a large refrigerator and freezer. I cannot even imagine what the teen years will hold. We are planning on a 30" Thermador refrigerator column and a 24" freezer column.

We plan to get a Cornufe range, which is depicted on an angle. I don't mind the angle for the range, because it seems practical, but I am pretty iffy on having the corners cut off of the island. I think I would get more function out of something closer to a true rectangle.

I have a hard time figuring out where it makes sense to put the small appliances. My husband really doesn't want them sitting out, and I find that I don't use them unless they are extremely accessible. I have KitchenAid stand mixer, food processer, massive blender (Vita-Mix), rice cooker, and crockpot that all get pretty regular use. If I had them in an appliance garage on the one full wall, I think all of the prep area ends up going. I also wonder if I would like a full wall of just cabinets, with very little break-up.

Here is the current layout. I can't get my scanner to work, so I had to take a picture of part of the drawing; I apologize for the lack of beauty.

Thank you so much for your help.

Comments (14)