SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhousegal

Soapstone woes - where did you get yours?

oldhousegal
12 years ago

I have been researching soapstone for the past 2 years (thanks to this forum) and feel that it is the perfect choice for my kitchen remodel. Today I thought I had crossed 2 items off my list. Now I am so frustrated that I want to scrap this whole remodel. Too bad 2 of my walls are missing.......

I finally decided on my soapstone, and today I thought I had ordered the slabs. Even better, I was told while they were out of the slabs, they did have remnants, and I would save so much money by using the remnants. Then I get home from a class, and find an e-mail from my contact at Dorado soapstone, with a nearly doubled quote on the remnants- at the regular price! But I guess I should be happy that he did reply when he said he would, since it took a week after faxing in my plan to get a quote in the first place.

Every time I have called M.Tiextera Soapstone, I've gotten the run around- New Jersey has no idea what San Francisco has, and vice versa. But they are quick to have me call every store in every city, to find out what they have, since they obviously don't talk to each other. The gal in San Francisco is nice, but can't seem to answer my questions, the gal in New Jersey is rude on the phone, and then I was told, they have absolutely no idea if they will be able to get the stone I want. No idea? Isn't this what you guys specialize in? Is it me, or am I just feeling like I'm either being taken advantage of or no one wants to sell me soapstone?

I've read a number of old threads where people were happy with either one of these suppliers. Anyone of late had to deal with either of these, and if so, what was your experience like? Due to my location (West coast), there are limited suppliers, and these are the only two I know of that will do cut to size or DIY slabs. The local supplier/fabricator wants to charge triple what these guys do, and the guy they referred me to, that will install (since they won't let me buy the stone and install it myself!) thinks you 'have to seal soapstone, since it's so porous'! Aaarrrgggghhhhhh!

Whatever happened to the days when customer service meant something......

Please don't tell me to go with granite, as I hate granite. I want soapstone, but I don't want to have to take out a loan to get it, or spend a week in the psych ward from dealing with people that should know what they are talking about!

HELP! Please, please help......I'm on my second bowl of double chocolate chip and about to go for the third.....

Comments (16)