SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grumpydave

Opinions on location of trash pullout?

grumpydave
12 years ago

I have a U shaped kitchen with an island. Right now I have no place for trash and the dishwasher is on the left of the sink (while standing at it) in the corner and it blocks a number of cabinets. My KD suggested we move it to the right side. Great! I figured we'd put a trash pullout on the left where the D/W was (green box #1). That way it's accessible from the sink and the prep/cooking areas. But my KD came back with it on the outside of the island (green box #2). There were two reasons stated:

1) She said that people could use the trash without having to venture into the kitchen. This could be very true but I think she just made that up on the spot.

2) The new lazy susan in the corner means the cabinet next to the sink is only 15" and I can only get a single bin pullout with 15" but the cabinets in the island are 18" which gives me a double bin. I think that's the real reason she put it there.

Having the double bins is critical, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for a way to get the trash next to the sink instead? The obvious drawback I see with her plan is that I won't be able to reach the trash from the sink when the dishwasher is open for loading. On the other hand my trash is all the way across the room right now so I'm not entirely sure I really need it next to the sink. In previous homes I always had it under the sink which was always kind of a pain. Opinions?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)