SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piglet_in_md

white or creamy kitchen - to glaze or not to glaze?

Piglet_in_MD
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with cabinet decisions. I have a number of lines I'm looking at for a white or cream cabinet. Given the issues with both joint separations as well as the inevitable smudges, nicks, dings, whatever, that will occur, I am favoring a glazed finish. My thinking is that the little hairline cracks or a little smudge or incidental damage will stand out like a sore thumb with a flat painted or opaque finish. But with a glaze, there's more going on, and with a patina, it might hide any "new" imperfections better and the cabinets will look good for longer. But is this a valid thought?

That said, I'm having trouble finding a glaze I like. I've limited my cabinet options to those that meet 2 standards: 1) limited lifetime warranty, and 2) all plywood box. I know these requirements are controversial, and I don't mean to debate them here, but what I'm thinking is that we never want to do this again. We want a manufacturer who will stand behind their cabinets if something goes wrong badly. Our current cabinets have a 5 year warranty, and after 13 years they are literally falling apart. The plywood requirement has more to do with the fact that there's typically less formaldehyde in (good) plywood than in (good) particleboard. The CARB off-gasing limits for plywood are lower than for particleboard or MDF I believe. So that's why we want plywood.

Okay, so that said, here's what I'm considering:

1. Dynasty: I REALLY like their colors, specifically the pearl with latte glaze. However, I wasn't as impressed with the feel of the cabinets. Maybe the displays I saw were old, but they didn't "feel" as good to me as other cabinets did. I can't explain it any better than that. Again, maybe the displays weren't recent. Plus their door panels (the inside part) is MDF, which doesn't thrill me.

2. Brookhaven: really like the cabinets, but I'm just not loving the glazes. They just look to me and my husband like they need to be cleaned. They'd hide distress, but we just don't like how they look. They have a vintage (brushed) option, and we like that better, but still I'm not sure about it.

3. Decora - considering them, but looked at their glazes, and likewise, they look like they have dirt in the crevices. And they look old. I guess glazes are meant to make the cabinet look that way, and maybe I just don't like the "old" look. The glazes are just too heavy and dark for me.

4. Medallion - likewise, but better. I'd have to see it in my kitchen for sure. They might work.

5. DuraSupreme - I need to check them out again, but with them, you have option of just an accent along the edges (no change to overall color), or a glaze which changes the color on the flat part, and hangs up on the edges. What I like with this line is that there seems to be many permutations of cream or white and different accent/glaze options, so I'm hoping one will wow me.

After all my stress comparing cabinet construction and reviews, I suspect my choice will come down to simply which finish do I prefer in a color I like.

Of course, I do have the option of just going with a flat paint or opaque. I'm sure I can find white/cream options without a glaze I like. But will the wear and imperfections drive me crazy?

So - any comments on the glaze or no-glaze option? Do people think their glazes are heavy and dark and make the cabinets look dirty? Does anyone have the brands above in either glaze or no-glaze and can you comment on your choice, and how they are wearing in terms of additional inadvertent "distressing" and how good or bad that looks with your choice?

I wish I liked the stained wood colors, but I love white/cream kitchens. My husband thinks I'll be compromising too much to go with something else, and he's probably right. So I'm hoping I can find something I like...

Thanks so much for any comments you have!

Piglet

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor