SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqwerty

Chairs near floor height change / peninsula with no seating?

kqwerty
12 years ago

What does everyone think about chairs near a flooring height change? Our kitchen flows into our living room as one long room. The kitchen is tiled, while the living room has wood floors. There is a closet pantry at the edge of our kitchen which is not efficient storage, so we are taking it down. We want to put in a peninsula coming out from where the closet is now to beak up the rooms a little bit more (it has that bowling alley feel) and regain some cabinet/countertop space.

We didn't realize until recently that the floor transition would cause a problem. The tile is about half an inch taller than the hardwood. This has never bothered me, but how we have it planned now, the edge of the overhang would be even with this height change. Which means that anyone sitting at the counter will have the back two legs of their chair on the wood, and the front two legs on the taller tile.

I see a few options. One, tear out the tile and whatever subfloor is adding the height and replace with a lower profile flooring. I am not a big fan of the tile we have, but DH likes it and we had earlier agreed that it wasn't worth the 3k cost the GC quoted to replace with new tile.

Or we could pull the peninsula base cabinets out further so they are even with the flooring change. This would mean that our overhang would be all on the hardwood, and would partially block a doorway that is 4' wide. I don't think that would be a functional issue because the doorway is wide and is about 6 inches recessed from where countertop would start, but I do think it would look funny.

Or we could move the peninsula base cabinets in so far that the four legs of the chair would be on the tile. I don't like this option because it would eat up precious cabinets and countertop space in the kitchen.

Or we could just get rid of the overhang and seating entirely. Would you be turned off if there was no seating on a peninsula? There would be no more seating in the kitchen, although there is a dining room. For us, this is not a problem because we are unlikely to use it anyway, but I do want to keep a mind towards resale.

Or maybe we can leave the layout as it is, and cut down the front two legs on our counter chairs so you sit level?

Any other ideas?

Comments (7)