SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Considering porcelain tile in kitchen

brightm
9 years ago

We just went and finalized our granite and took a stroll through the tile showroom. We've been planning on some form of vinyl, mostly because that's what I have experience with. We had a nice sheet vinyl installed in our kitchen a few years ago and I love it's forgiveness in many different ways. We have LVT that's a light walnut (I think it looks more like a light/medium maple) layed diagonally through most of the house, including the DR that leads into the kitchen.

We looked at sheet vinyl and can't agree on anything. We found an LVT that we can agree on. http://shawfloors.com/resilient-flooringdetails/easy_vision_041vf-water_chestnut

Then I started thinking it wouldn't be right with our granite (Mesquite). Not-real stone and real stone together, probably not good.

We considered continuing the light walnut LVT, but when we were looking at maple, I thought it would be too similar. We've switched to natural cherry, so that's a possibility. I think it's badgergal's kitchen that made me start thinking of this again.

I've linked below the porcelain tile we saw at the showroom today. (reminiscent of sjhockeyfan's cabinets) The showroom person said it's rectified and you can go with 1/16 grout line (which sounds good to me).

cons: hard (for people and things dropped), thicker so will have a transition that LVT wouldn't, more expensive.

pros:we both immediately liked it (looks), some people are biased against vinyl for various reasons.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fibra Merino

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

We put porcelain tile in our house in Michigan throughout the first floor, bedroom excluded, and loved it. We dislike flooring changes with each room.

That tile looks great.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I love that tile, and it does look like my cabinets!

• Related Discussions

How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile on concrete

Q

Comments (6)
    Construction adhesive may hold, but it also may release over time due to moisture exposure at floor level. You might want to consider a high grade silicone adhesive, instead. Regardless of what you use, you'll still end up staining the grout (a consideration only if you ever intend to take the island away). I believe that granite counter installers routinely depend on silicone and the weight of the granite to keep countertops in place. If you try adhesive and it fails at some future point, then I would mount a hidden frame of 2X4's to the floor and attach the cabinets to that. I would do this by drilling through the tiles. A hammer drill and the right bit will make short work of it. Then you can fasten the frame down with the something like tapcon screws. You could even add some silicone adhesive: this glue and screw combo should be plenty strong. As for powder actuated nail drivers, they take some skill to use correctly and get the depth correct, and are very dangerous to use without safety training: they're basically guns that fire nails instead of bullets. I'd discourage this approach.
    ...See More

Wood Look Tile or Marble look Porcelain tile for Living and Kitchen ?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have had wood look tile in my home for five years now. Went with Bedrosians Heathland Cherry Commercial Grade Porcelain tile. It has a hand scraped waviness to it so it is very "real" looking. The Commercial grade porcelain tile is heaver duty than a standard tile so will take more wear and tear than a standard tile. IT comes in many colors. https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/list/porcelain/wood-look/ This company also has the tile that looks like marble too.
    ...See More

Will this tile be good for my Kitchen? (Porcelain Tile PEI Rating)

Q

Comments (2)
    I am definitely a no shoes household. Does that really make a difference between a 3 and 4 PEI? This is definitely not an area I am familiar with even with the research I've done.
    ...See More

Large format porcelain tile kitchen floor with Taj Mahal counters

Q

Comments (27)
    Believe it or not, when the rubber hit the road, we decided to keep the original slate floors. We will be cleaning, sealing and enhancing them. I'll post photos when we're done.
    ...See More
  • debrak2008
    9 years ago

Keep in mind tile is harder on your feet and legs when standing on it. I notice it when working in a friends tile kitchen compared to my own. We changed our plan from porcelain tile and got wood instead. Warmer too.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I love that tile too but debrak is right, it is very hard on the legs especially if you are "of a certain age" and/or do a lot of cooking. We ripped up our beautiful ceramic and replaced it with the same heart pine that is in the rest of the house. We couldn't be happier - or more comfortable.

Also consider how open your house is; ceramic is hard and any noise carries and seems to reverberate in open plan homes.

But, it is easy care and beautiful........

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I have porcelain tile in my kitchen and live for the day I can get rid of it. I hate it. It's awful on your feet, legs and back, everything you drop either breaks or chips the floor and it's a pain to clean. I have wide grout lines though so to be fair narrow ones would be easier to clean. It's still a very hard, unforgiving surface though.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I'm with the I hate tile in kitchens crowd. Hard, cold, difficult to keep clean (all the dirt ends up in the grout lines so you can't just sweep or mop easily).

Loved the cork we put in previous remodels. Happy with the wood that is already in this house and will leave it when we remodel.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Hey, Christina wrote my post word for word, I would get rid of my tile in a heartbeat except for "project creep" fear: I'd want to change the pantry,,too, and then...

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I haven't had the negative experiences of other posters with porcelain tile. I previously had vinyl and am going onto my third year with porcelain tile. I haven't noticed any difference in my legs, feet, and back, and mine are 59 years old and not the greatest! I think I dropped one thing in two years. Having new countertops and floors makes you extra careful. I don't scrub my epoxy grout because it's stain-resistant. I'd advise a darker colored grout for the kitchen. It is colder, but I don't walk barefooted in my kitchen.

I have LVT and granite countertops in my guest bath . Once grouted, you really can't tell the difference between LVT and porcelain. I have never seen a sheet vinyl product where the grout lines didn't look fake, so I would avoid using it with granite.

• lam702
    9 years ago

We have porcelain tile in our kitchen and love it. I don't find it hard on my back or legs, and I am no spring chicken myself. My tiles are glazed, and I love it because its very easy to clean, the grout is beige so does not show dirt easily. A damp cloth to wipe up spills is a breeze. Lovely as wood floors are, in the kitchen (and bath especially), I prefer tile. I mop my tile floors often, the constant wet mopping on a wood floor can't be good for it. Plus, the pets water bowls, as they lap up water from the bowl, they are spraying water on the floor too. I know there are a lot of people who will say wood in the kitchen is easy to maintain, perhaps it is but I find the tile so easy. These days I try to find a balance between ease of care and cleaning with style. Our kitchen is in constant use, there are spills and splatters happening daily, so easy care is a must for us. Yes, tile is cold and when you drop a glass it does shatter and send glass shards all over the kitchen. Vinyl is actually not a bad idea, its inexpensive, warm, easy to clean and replacing it is easier than ripping out ceramic tiles. Pros and cons to each choice I guess.

• crl_
    9 years ago

If you like sheet vinyl, but couldn't find a color/pattern you like, have you considered sheet linoleum? Similar in looks and function to sheet vinyl, but Eco friendly. We put it in our master bathroom and are quite happy with it.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I had ceramic tile in our kitchen in our last home and the only thing better would have been porcelain. I loved the easy care of tile and we lived in a cold climate. I usually wore slippers so no problem with coldness. I did not find standing on tile any different than wood and I'm in my 60's. I would do tile in a heartbeat again. Keep with a neutral tile and a thin medium colored grout line.
    I had to keep with the wood that was here in our new house since it flowed so well between the family room and kitchen, but I hate taking care of it. It is impossible to keep water off the floor. There are some scratches already on the newly refinished floor.
    The only good? thing is that I keep the floor much cleaner due to the fact that dirt shows up much more quickly on this floor.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

After living with Saltillo tile in my kitchen for nearly 3 decades, I vow I will **never** have tile of any kind again. The DH is enamored of porcelain, but he's only in the kitchen long enough to pour a cup of coffee and make toast.

I love cork and if I could do over this floor, that - or vinyl planks, lineoleum, or quality sheet vinyl - would be my choice. There is no shame in vinyl or linoleum; they've come a long way since the thin flowery stuff of the 40's and 50's. And not all that inexpensive, either.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i have black and white 12x12 tile on the diagonal with black grout. it's a show stopper. and i don't notice the stress on the feet and legs.

the chairs in the picture are temporary. i have hard wood throughout the entire house except for the bathrooms.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I agree with others that say no tile in kitchen. I've had two kitchens with wood (maple and beech) and one kitchen with tile. I hated the tile...it was so hard on my legs and back. Wood is very easy to care for and so warm and forgiving. That being said, I do love that tile!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I love porcelain tile and I especially love it in my kitchen and bathrooms. I have one of those soft mats in front of the sink which works just fine. But I am in Florida where most of the houses have tile throughout and it's kind of weird if you don't have tile.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

My personal preference would be to match the flooring to what is in the adjacent rooms. You say that you have LVT in the dining room -- is the same pattern still available for sale? Continuous flooring always makes a house seem more spacious.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I had tile in my kitchen until this current remodel. I have bamboo or saltillo in the rest of the house. The ceramic grey tile with dark grout looked good, was easy to clean and I never noticed it being hard on my legs or back. (I'm 55). I decided against saltillo in the kitchen because it cracks more easily than regular tile. (We did have a few chips in our tile kitchen floor too though - after 15 years with three kids.) It showed dirt a little too much as it was light grey.
    Now I am going with travertine tile which will probably chip but there is no glaze so less noticable.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We have tile in the kitchen (and bathrooms and utility room). I love it! I don't find it hard on the joints - and I have bad knees. I do wear good (supportive) shoes most of the time, though. We have a darkish colored grout, which doesn't ever look dirty...I'm not terribly concerned about dropping things, even though I'm kind of shaky sometimes. I like the tile too much to worry about breakage! I wish we would have done it in the entire house!!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I have porcelain tile in my kitchen and really like it. I haven't noticed any negative effects on my joints or knees and I've had a tile kitchen floor my entire adult life. My tile is a light color with non-sanded light colored grout in 1/16 inch joints. I used a really good sealer (Porous Plus) and so far it still looks great. My pre-reno kitchen had sanded grout in somewhat larger grout joints and I think the non-sanded variety is much easier to keep clean. We intend to put wood throughout the rest of the house except the bathrooms which have marble. I did not want wood in the kitchen.

• carree
    9 years ago

I have tile, very similar to your Arizona tile depicted in the link. Love the easy clean up. When I am cooking and standing for six hours straight or more, around big family parties, etc I do feel achy in the lower back. But I don't know if that is the porcelain or just the constant standing. I should add we went for the radiant heat. So my tile is never cold.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I have black and white 12" tiles and black grout like Elizabeth, but mine are straight to feel right in our old farmhouse. The kitchen entrance is used almost exclusively, so the tile handles the grit, snow, and mud that comes in from the gravel drive without any issue. We have in-floor radiant heat, so it is toasty warm in winter and cool in summer. I've lived with this floor for 17 years, and the floor in my previous house was tile as well. It wears well (I am not into renovation for the sake of newness), cleans easily, and looks as good as the day we installed it. Ours has a bit of a gritty texture that prevents it being slick if it's wet, and I think I've only broken 2 items in 30+ years in the two tiled kitchens. I don't find it is hard on my body, but I usually wear supportive shoes when I cook since I don't want to worry about burns or injury from dropped items when I am cooking.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm 99% sure we'll go with the tile. We both still like it, and everything we put next to it makes both things look better.

I've definitely noticed, since switching to LVT from carpet throughout the bulk of the house, that the hard surface makes a difference on my feet etc. when I'm home a lot and stay in slippers or flip flops.

I'm already worried about the loss of our old-fashioned pull-out cutting boards which end up being a couple/few inches below the countertop height. As it is, if I'm cooking a lot I tend to search out my clogs which raise my height a bit. Once cutting boards have to sit on top of the counter, I'll really have to do that. So I'm thinking the hard surface will be taken care of in that way.

We got an install price for the floor tile from the guy doing our granite. He quoted different prices with different grout lines. Is that usual?

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I am having 1/16 grout lines in my travertine herringbone floor. The GC said it is more difficult to do thin grout lines so that might make it more expensive. I think thicker grout lines gives them more wiggle room?

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

love it, NHBabs!!

• lam702
    9 years ago

I have to say, I LOVE that black and white tile! It appears that the grout is dark too, great for not showing dirt/stains. If I was doing a new floor, I'd do a black and white tile, so beautiful!

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I don't know where you live, but here in Texas tile floors are NICE AND COOL. My dogs (four-legged as well as 10-toed) love it.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i have black grout. my tile layer was a magician. it almost looks like a solid surface.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Southern California, so yes cool is good. Though one of the dogs is still mourning the loss of most of the carpet in the house. He spends as much time as he can in the remaining carpeted room. And he has to kind of gear himself up to go down the hall, and has trouble turning corners on tile. We haven't gotten any area rugs yet.