SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Glass cabinets are in

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

My glass is in! Most of my stuff is still in my old house, but I had enought to play house with. Do you think the 30 minutes a day I spend re-arranging it to make all the cup handles line up, stack plates by color, and hide my Obama mug (only for the colorway) will count toward cardio?

It is "light restoration" glass, so it has a slight waviness to it and a few minor imperfections. (SEE link) I am very happy with it, but it is hard to see in photos (You just have to trust me, I always seem to be saying ... you cant see my wavy marble, my wavy glass, or the light distress on my cabinets!)

Here is a long shot of the only part of my kitchen with uppers:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a shot of the doors between the kitchen and DR, which have slightly heavier restoration glass.

{{!gwi}}

Here are some close ups of the cabinet. I chose glass sliders because I had seen them in an historic home and like the function. They are constructed so that I could put curtains in them in the future. I like the look of them sitting on the countertop, but it also makes it so pleasant and easy to get things and put them away. Even the little house urchins can do it. We have ample counterspace throughout so I dont mind the loss here. We decided not to raise the ceiling in this old home, and so it is also easy to reach the top shelves, too.

{{!gwi}}

The cabinet backs are beadboard in a distressed color wash of BM Woodlawn Blue. One thing DH thought of that I really like --- none of those holes pockmarking the cabinet innards --- our shelves are permanently affixed on cleats. I experimented with dishes first, before I committed to the shelf placement.

{{!gwi}}

My cabinets are distressed. What that really means is you can see paintbrush strokes (umm, trust me) and the paint is worn off on some of the edges (like below, look vehhhhy closely at the edge on the right hand door below). In my old kitchen, my Rutt cabs looked like perfect auto body paint, even 8+ years later. For this home, we are going with a more gently worn, dowager-down-on-their-luck-look.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: restoration glass

Comments (46)