SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nervousnancy

quartz or granite countertop & best color for cherry cabinets w/b

nervousnancy
15 years ago

Never did this before but I'm desperate for help on the counter top subject. Please, any specific name suggestions of countertops or photos for our custom kitchen cabinets of cherry wood with a burgundy/cranbery custom mixed stain. I am having a very hard time visualizing what color counter top would go best. I was hoping for a formal look and also still need to choose the floor (unsure of whether wood-look laminate or ceramic). I'd like to pick the countertop 1st and then the floor. Note: Kitchen is only 10 X 12.

Recently we went to view a large slab of Silestone quartz in Stellar Rose (which my husband & I THOUGHT we loved) at "Vangura's world-class fabricating facility" which we were very impressed with. However, much to our dismay, we both ended up hating the Stellar Rose! I was originally concerned that the mirror flecks would look too "disco-ish", however after viewing, it was the rose blotches that were horrendous! The sample we had looked NOTHING like the actual piece. We were grateful that we made the 90 minute trip to the facility, and were spared a $6000 mistake! However, now after 4 months of research & decision making, weÂre right back at square one, searching for our "perfect" choice again.

We were certain we wanted quartz, but after seeing all the beautiful slabs, we are considering granite. Ultimately found 1 slab of granite we love, and a few possibilities. The problem is that Vangura assigns their own names & faxes info directly to our Kitchen Designer for the price quote. 1 we loved was named "Marrone 8000 South America Brazil 8010 TGB". It was consistent pattern of grey, black, silver white (very iridescent). The problem is we were not allowed to photograph them or buy a sample, etc. and I already cannot remember exactly what the Marrone 8000 looks exactly like & cannot comparison shop not knowing its actual names. Does any one have any idea how we can find out its "real" name to comparison shop? Also are considering Uba Tuba (which obviously they kept itÂs name), but am afraid that the darker color will show every streak & fingerprints, etc.

Finally, after, reading all the horror stories about granite staining, cracking, clouding, being doctored, to seal or not seal, etc. I dont know if quartz is better, but now am afraid of quartz "pooling"!!! Sorry this is so long but any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (24)