SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny20

warning - computer malware on random online granite images

ginny20
12 years ago

I've been checking out lots of granite images online, and three or four times now, I've clicked on various images and gotten that trojan that pretends to be Microsoft Security software. If I'm hitting it, maybe other granite searchers will hit it, too. (I run PC with Microsoft Security Essentials. This is probably not a problem if you have a Mac.) It doesn't seem to happen as much in websites, it's usually an image that comes up in the google search of the granite name, or sometimes, "[granite name] countertops." I'm familiar with this "virus," so I have been able to defeat it each time. I wanted to warn others, though, in case you hadn't seen this yet. What happens is that you get a window that looks just like Microsoft, and it tells you that it has detected viruses and it must run a scan. Then it looks like it runs a scan, and it tells you that it found several viruses, and it asks you if you want to remove them. You have to try to close these windows, never hit OK, and if it won't stop, I just hold down the power button until the computer turns off. The next time I try to open Firefox (that's what I use to get on the internet), the thing will try to start up, but then the real Microsoft Security Essentials will kick in,say it found one trojan, and "clean the computer." It seems to work. Until the next boobytrapped granite picture. My 12-year-old daughter got this on her PC, and she had the good sense to look up a solution on her Ipod Touch. She found instructions for turning back the clock on her PC to a few days prior so it erased the trojan. I was pretty impressed.

If anyone has a better idea of how to handle this, please feel free to chime in. I think I'm going to stop searching for pictures of granite online. The images I've found posted in GW threads have all been safe, and better pictures, too.

Comments (24)