SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyvine_gw

Marble countertop owners- can ya help a girl out

rubyvine
15 years ago

I really want marble countertops but I must admit that I am a smidge nervous about them due to the staining/etching warnings that people have given me.

I went to the stone yard and got a sample of Carrara (honed and unsealed) to take home and abuse. I managed to etch the hell out of it quite easily and quite quickly. But these marks really don't bother me and I find them sort of difficult to locate, unless I'm in the right lighting. I then put all sorts of food stuff on them to see what staining looks like. I used katsup, tobasco, olive oil, and even Crystal Light (which typically staing everything) and left them overnight. When I checked the next day...NO STAINS.

Don't get me wrong, I am very excited about this! But I can't help wondering what stained marble looks like and how often it happens. Also, are these results just typical of the Carrara marble because I am also looking at a slab of Calcutta.

Any pics that you may have of a nice big stain would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I'll just keep trying :)

Comments (4)