SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsw_sc

Is this odd? Question about stone dealers and fabricators.

hsw_sc
13 years ago

I went to one of my local stone yards this past weekend to check out/price their different stones. I had exchanged emails, info and a phone call with a certain fabricator that works with this yard (highly recommended and/but whose wife happens to work at the stone yard).

While I was looking I was given a "wishlist" form to fill out with the names of all the stones that I was interested in so that the fabricator could call and give me SFtge quotes. I wrote out my list of the stones I was interested in from lowest star to highest (no prices, one star is "affordable" a five star is "rare/elite", all of which I understand, no problem with that). I looked at their soapstone, three types of marble, and a particular granite that just caught my eye and listed them on my inquiry form then waited for someone from the fabricator to get back with me after the weekend. Anyhoo, he finally called me back today and was pretty vague. No approximate prices for any stones, he wants to come to my house to measure and THEN give me a price. Is this normal? I'm just a little confused about it all, really. Also, his wife (that works at the stone yard) was a bit flip with me when it came to the marbles I was interested in, (ie, "oh yes, that is very high end. This one is less expensive...it should be polished, not honed...Europeans like the worn look, unfortunately". "This would be more in your price point." Hmm, really? I haven't TOLD you my price point).

I don't know whether to be offended and check out another stone yard or fabricator (or both), or just go with the flow and let this stranger come into my home and then give me a countertop quote.

What would you do, KitchenGardenWebbers?

Comments (14)