SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

I need some new layout ideas, please!

Fori
12 years ago

My new kitchen needs to be redone and I am having a hard time coming out with a functional-looking layout. I got some suggestions a while back but that got a bit scrambled and I wasn't sure what I was doing...so I'll try to be a little more clear now.

Here is the space:

Here is a crudely modified drawing of the house (flipped orientation from above) to show where the kitchen is in relation to other rooms:

In the picture, the green blob is the chimney, the lavender squiggles are the kitchen cabinets, and the yellow is where we just ripped out a home made addition and might put in a real one, with permits and real roofing and everything.

Here is the view of the kitchen from the small breakfast nook.

{{!gwi}}

Another view, showing the removed wall and a weird peninsula:

Here is the view into the kitchen from the living area, showing the odd peninsula and the breakfast nook. If you are wondering where the fridge is, it is to the left in this shot, in the nook.

{{!gwi}}

What we'd like to accomplish in a remodel is vent the stove (or cooktop) up (instead of into the crawl space ew), put the fridge in the kitchen, retain some of the view but not necessarily all of it, and make it work a little better. We want to repair some of the strangeness that was added with the prior remodel. We will probably be doing custom cabinets so sizes can be just about anything (hopefully the cabinet guy from our last remodel will be willing to work with us again. :) ). The peninsula will go away, perhaps being returned to the wall that once separated the two rooms behind the kitchen. It's weird.

We'd like a 36" ish single sink, 30" wall oven and 36" induction cooktop OR a gas range (I don't like the current induction ranges that well). 36" refrigerator, standard depth, counter depth, built in, doesn't matter, whatever works better. I don't want to see appliances from the living room and if I have to get a fancypants fridge, I'll do it. We want to keep at least part of the opening open. And we want to keep a small table in the nook. We'd like to make at least one side extra deep, like 30" bases because we liked that so well in our last kitchen. Easy, right?

I can't figure it out. Especially if I want the fridge nearer the table. Is there a way to make this work?

General appliance placement advice would be great.

Thanks!

Comments (9)