SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Is 6 inches of counter worth it? (Keep our vintage range or not?)

artemis78
14 years ago

As we get closer to ordering our cabinets, I'm having a real dilemma about our range. We currently have a 1956 O'Keefe and Merritt gas range that we love. It works fine (though a bit clunky---not a shiny restored one!) and we have assumed from the beginning that we'd keep it, since it adds to the character of the kitchen in our bungalow, and, well, good ranges are expensive!

But as we spec out the cabinets, I'm starting to wonder if this is a mistake. It's a 34" range, although the oven is only 2/3 of that (so roughly a 24" oven, 10" cabinet, four burners and a griddle in the center). We do cook a lot, but haven't had too many problems with the oven being too small. We figured we'd plan the cabinets to accommodate a 36" dual fuel range someday, but I'm realizing that's REALLY big for our little kitchen, since the ovens in new ranges use the entire width. We are also short on counter space in the kitchen.

This leaves us with three options:

1) Keep existing range and leave a 36" opening; worry about it later.

2) Replace range with a 30" dual fuel range now, adding $$ to the remodel---but picking up 6" of counter space.

3) Keep existing range, but don't install cabinet/counter on one side of it; instead, use a butcher block or other movable unit so that if/when range is replaced, it can go to 30" without any cabinet modification. (This is how the kitchen is set up now, incidentally.)

Is it worth trying to pick up this extra counter/cabinet space, or are we barely going to notice six inches? (For whatever it's worth, while we like the O&M stove, we will likely not be here longer than 7-10 years so we are keeping resale in mind too.) Thanks!

This is our kitchen plan. If we go to a 30" range, we'll drop the hood to 36" and probably split the six inches across the two sides, giving us a 30" cabinet on the left and a 21" cabinet on the right.

Comments (23)