SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

1913 Kitchen demo'd today: concern about asbestos/lead :(

theresse
13 years ago

Am I over-reacting? We have 3 small kids. How is it that so many of us have been exposed to things throughout our lives - or more importantly, throughout my parents' and grandparents' lives - and so many live to a ripe old age w/ no problems when they too were raised in old houses? I mean frankly, I am SICK AND TIRED of hearing how we're all gonna die from this, that and the other. But...?

I came home today to FINALLY find the kitchen had been demolished (or one side of it anyway as we're only remodeling half the kitchen, where the counter is and the sink, backsplash and parts of lower cabinetry). Most of it was gone which was fun to see. Just a couple of cabinets still in w/ no tops and doors were removed.

The closer I looked, the more nervous I got. I found a few layers of paint on the sides (two ends) of the counter that no doubt have lead paint in them and all this dangling chipped paint was just hanging there w/ old crumbling cement like stuff under it. I seriously doubt my contractor gently sprayed it down and gently removed that, before safely cleaning it, you know? In other words he probably was banging away and that lead dust got into the air.

We have 4 kitchen doors: two normal doors to kitchen that were closed but not sealed, and two swinging doors - one closed and not sealed and the other completely removed (how we got the new fridge in) but w/ plastic over the door. However he duct taped the plastic in only a few places as opposed to sealing it well and it was blowing away in the breeze.

Secondly, I saw lots of insulation material but I don't know what it is and I'm concerned it's asbestos. It's light yellowish dried puffy foam looking stuff. There was also a white powdery residue on those skinny boards (whatever they're called - from lap & plaster?).

My contractor's uses environmentally-friendly materials and disposes of old materials in proper dumping locations that's better for the Earth in general...HOWEVER he generally seems less concerned for home-owners and their kids (and doesn't have kids). When I was concerned about cutting a cupboard that has lead paint under the top layer or two, he didn't think it was a concern. He's fairly laid back about such things.

What should I do? Does anyone have pictures of what asbestos looks like? Should I just shrug my shoulders and hope for the best or take more serious measures?

Thank you.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022