SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Wow Granite with Concerns OR safe, neutral Cambria?

boymom23
10 years ago

I know this could be a big debate. As with any topic, you can google this to death and find all sorts of supporting/non-supporting info. Here's the deal: we originally were going with quartz in our kitchen. Liked the low maintenance and sanitary qualities of it. Then went to the granite shop the other day and found a slab they just got in and it's gorgeous. (I posted it previously here, because I like it so much! It's called Winter Springs.) Anyway, with some research (initially just on the Absolute Black that's going on my perimeter cabinets) I discovered that in all the research on radon & granite, that most of the "hot" slabs are exotics from Brazil. OF COURSE Winter Springs is an exotic from Brazil! I will state: many years ago we had a radon issue with a house and it almost didn't close. Radon is a concern of mine, but there is no real way to test the slab while it's in the middle of a huge granite warehouse with about a thousand other slabs, dust, etc. SO, should we just go with the granite we really like and say YOLO, or should I get the Windermere Cambria that will probably be lovely in my kitchen? (Windermere was my first initial selection, so I do like it...) The granite is more like WOW, and the Windermere is a nice safe neutral that will really allow me tons of decorating freedom. The granite is kind of strong so the kitchen paint color, accessories will always be a bit neutral. **I know it's my decision, but I like getting input from GW. My husband is a totally "whatever you want, babe" kind of person, and my 3 little boys don't really get a say! (Although I want them to be HEALTHY and not get radon exposure!) Many thanks! :)

Comments (25)