SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Soft woods - flooring durability, best of the evils?

needsometips08
14 years ago

Would you buy something you knew would likely get very damaged if you were running out of options?

Have you lived with a birch, pine, or fir floor and how did it do?

Which asthetic do you think is the worse evil - a pretty wood floor that is pretty dented up? Or a floor that isn't really a desired look, but is in great shape?

We've lived with subfloor for the last 5 months and our kitchen cannot be put together until we pick the floor.

We are out of good options. To say we've researched every option is the understatement of the year. Hundreds of hours. Almost hundreds of trips. I've been to one store about 20 times.

It's come down to birch or hickory.

The hickory sample board, being the hardest domestic out there, has held up well, even against cans being dropped on it. It does dent, but not super deep and the graining hides it well. Really, the worst thing about it is it's so rustic, zebra-ishy, and wildly unpredictable. Every sales person has confirmed the sample board will do nothing to show you what kind of floor you are going to get. Every lot, every tree varies wildly. It's one big non-refundable crap shoot.

But birch, which is more consistant in pattern, less edgy, and has a cleaner, more desirable look (for me), is soft enough that it WILL get major dents in it in our household. Even a butter knife dropped on end on the sample board leaves a dent. (Don't worry, all these sample boards are ones we get to keep).

So which asthetic is the worse evil?

And I can't do tile, vinyl, or marmoleum. This will be on the majority of our first floor, not just the kitchen so I don't want any of those "feels" to comprise most of the house. I like the warmth of wood.

We do plan on going to a socks only house after this and we do have a 6 and 8 year old and if life works out exactly as planned will have 2 more coming.

Comments (26)