SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Where does one start when decorating their home?

gardenwebber
16 years ago

I am usually over in the kitchen forum seeking advice about our "issues" in that room, but I come here too to ponder the rest of the house and I see so many beautiful homes on this forum, and I am just feeling overwhelmed with the inspiration! We have lived in our home for almost 6 years, and we have done small things (faux finishing and mini-blinds!) to "get us by" until we could afford to do the bigger and better things that we *really* want. Now that we are more ready, I am finding that the hardest part is figuring out *what* we want.

Where do you start?

Its hard - we have a somewhat quirky layout so I feel like I can't even begin to think up color schemes because I start to think about structural things (maybe I should open up that doorway? Maybe I should close off that window?) and then I feel totally lost.

We have 3 children so time to do projects is at a premium. I hate to do any work, only to feel like I have to rip it up and start over in a year because I think of a "better" idea.

Any advice for a beginning decorator? For what its worth, the 3 children are ages 2 - 9 and that always adds an extra consideration to the mix.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH