SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474629887

First Time Homeowner - where to start when you need to decorate it all

LKB
3 years ago

I posted a few months ago about my Aunt's Kitchen reno - and decided that when I start back up with decorating / furnishing - I would consult you guys way before I had worker's scheduled to show up.

So, I am asking where to start?

My husband and I bought our first home 3 years ago. We have had an extremely crazy 3 years. Our house functions enough (for instance, we are using my bedroom furniture from high school), but after adding our first baby to the mix, I really want to make it a home, and have a home that more represents my current taste- and realistically- I don't like change, I like to curate things, then keep them for a very long time. I like to find the most optimum room layout and leave it alone. So I am looking to avoid trendy.

We have every intention to stay in the home long term 15-20 years - my parents even bought a house around the corner to be close to our daughter. We are in our mid 30s, established in our careers, and spent a long time researching places to live. We like to think we skipped our starter home (well technically, we lived in an RV for 16 months to save for our down payment), and unless I have sextuplets(even then- we maybe could make it work), we won't grow out of this home. But I know plans change.

The home is only 8 years old - and there isn't anything major like walls moving, or remodeling old bathrooms. But it is definitely tract home, okay materials but nothing fancy.

Nothing is offensive - kilim beige walls (except 1 grey room from previous owners) and my daughters pink room you all helped out with several months ago.

Medium tone hardwoods in living / dining and a neutral tan tile in all bathrooms.

Cabinets are all raised panel with square panel. Early American looking stain.

The granite in the kitchen is something like Santa Cecilia Classic (I'm pretty sure this is the exact type). Tile backsplash is same as floor set on 45 degree.

Fixtures are all builder basic, brushed nickel.

Doors are all raised panel with the beadboard looking inset.

Hardware is all brushed nickel.

Carpet is in as good of condition, 8 year old builder grade brown carpet can be.

I do know, that I want the master bedroom to be the next room we tackle - but how do I keep it from snowballing?

The carpet is crappy - so we are debating replacing it, but if we do that, it makes sense to do the other rooms in the house (I like all carpet to be the same) but from other life experiences, I know if you want them to be the same- get it all at once or it will be discontinued, not in stock/ etc.

If we change the carpeting, do we switch from brown undertones/ to grey - which means most likely painting the entire interior?

If we change the light fixtures in the master, do I change them in all the other bathrooms? I am not a designer. I like overall, simple, less is more - and to me - just having all the bathrooms look the same makes sense to me. Less visual clutter. Same colored towels, etc.

So my questions:

1. How do I keep things cohesive with out snowballing into knocking down my entire house and starting over - which is absolutely not an option?

2. How do I even begin to start designing when it feels overwhelming? Especially when it comes to - how tall our nightstands should be with the right height of lamps to match the headboard and ceiling height in our room to make things feel balance?

3. What is the best way to post to get help? Room photos/ house photos, inspiration, dimensions? Wants/needs/ budget?

4. How do I keep decor in line with the style of my home- like I can't really do super contemporary with simple round knobs, and wrought iron looking finials on my wooden staircase. I lean to transitional when I look for inspiration.

There was a great post for "where to start for kitchen design" and I'm wondering if there is something like that for the rest of the house? Should I use that for a template?

Thank you for any guidance!

Comments (141)