SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

wwyd? bedroom wall help, headboard overlaps window - pics

eldemila
12 years ago

Just curious what others have done with this situation, or what you may have to suggest.

Background to why the bed has to be placed as it is in the room. Bedroom is 13'w x 10'5"d Door is all the way to the left. Door wall also has a two-door sliding closet on it, so no way to put the bed on that wall.

Back wall as you walk in, in the middle of the wall is a floor register and to the right are two windows that measure 31" each (62" of window) Besides trying to put the bed on that wall and covering the one and only register in the room, which won't do, the room isn't that deep. Moving the bed over to the right of the register would have it where you could only get in/out of bed on the one side.

Can't put it on the wall that the door opens on to, too small and right next to the door.

Sooo, that leaves me with the only real option of putting the bed on the right hand wall when you walk in. BTW, I did try it in the one corner, didn't work or look right - hated the waste of space too.

The question now is...

There's a corner window that measures 35"w on the left side of that wall. If I center the bed in the wall, the headboard overlaps part of the window on the left. But it's in the middle of the room and the ceiling fan is centered over the middle of the bed.

I want to put something on the wall above the headboard. What could I put that wouldn't make it look odd? I was thinking about small shelves scattered above it and putting some pictures leaning on them against the wall. Or I have some small shadow type box frames that I could scatter.

I use to have this bed on a full wall in our old house with a big picture type piece over the headboard, but that no longer works. It not being centered on a solid wall bothers me. I'm trying to get over it with figuring out what to do there that won't look odd.

Does anyone have any pictures of what they've done if in the same situation?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice

How it's place now, in the middle of the wall, overlaps the window

Comments (29)

• User
    12 years ago

If it were me, I'd move that chair and center the bed between the window and the wall. You can always put the chair in the corner so it's flanked by the windows.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

You could put it on a diagonal out from the windows.

Put it over the register with no bedskirt.

Leave it where it is, but where the chair is, put something more substantial with height to balance the windows - a small chest or table with a wall mirror, a hatstand to carry on the country theme, a large potted plant...

• Related Discussions

help me with my plain master bedroom! lots of pics!

Q

Comments (25)
    I am so jealous of your room size, it looks to be the size of about half my home! :-) I personally feel the windows on each side of your bed look too small, too high and out of place, almost like they were afterthoughts, which is why I suggested putting drapes up. Just one or two full-length (floor to ceiling) panels to hide the windows completely. That will give the illusion there are larger windows there while framing the bed. Even something more contemporary might work like rattan or wood shades as long as they go to the floor. Jodi-
    ...See More

Help decorate our guest bedroom! pics

Q

Comments (22)
    we have not attached it yet--- we need to look at the bed frame to see if its able to attach -otherwise we will get the appropriate frame- DH does not want to attach to wall-- its pretty sturdy even though its not attached.... HTN-- i hear you about transitional-- i kind of felt like i was liking that style but yes the rest of our house is traditional-- i'm keeping the headboard- so i'll see what else i come up with... I also think the bed needs an ivory throw blanket and a nice bench (thats lighter by the foot of the bed)... to be continued
    ...See More

What color curtains & headboard for bedroom? (pics)

Q

Comments (4)
    Ooo great ideas, thank you so much!! The bedding is Abigail Paisley by Crate & Barrel. I got it right before they sold out about a year ago. I love the turquoise idea, but am unsure how to pull it off. Would I replace existing pillows? Print, textured, or solid? Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is my first house and IâÂÂm new at this. =) Absolutely love the drapes/bamboo combo idea! I had been tossing around the idea of that type/color drapes alone, but I think the addition of the bamboo shades would really make it. Something like this, perhaps? And 2 regular panels per window, or ? That is a gorgeous (& pricey!) headboard. Probably way beyond my ability to make, haha. What about something more rectangular (and easier to make, lol) like this? Too simple? And yes, larger rectangular nightstands would be definitely be better! Should I get rid of the chair in the corner and get nightstands that are about the width of the windows, or would that be too big? White/cream furniture or some sort of wood color? IâÂÂm also really liking the area rug idea. A great way to cover the icky carpet and add more interest to the room! (IâÂÂm planning on eventually replacing the carpet with hardwood or laminate, but I gotta save up first!) Thanks for your suggestions and patience with my questions. :-D
    ...See More

Indecision in the Bedroom...Help! (more pics!)

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks for the info on the mirror! Maybe this would be overkill (it's hard for me to tell w/o seeing the whole room together), but what about one of the mirrored side tables they always have at Home Goods these days. They also seem to be carrying a lot of round white and other colored tables that might look great in your space too (but no storage, if that's important to you). I definitely agree that whatever you go with it should be taller than the dark one, and more like the height of the turquoise or gray/white one. I also agree with moving the mirrored box to another location to break up the mirrors in that area. Lovely room though! HTH!
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    12 years ago

I'd have to move the bed over so it's centered between the window and wall. I like the idea of putting it on the diagonal, too, but I could not leave it with one post overlapping the window frame.

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

I agree with lukkiirish. I'd move the chair and center the bed on the part of the wall without the window. You'd probably have enough room on the right side for a tiny nightstand or a floor lamp. You might also then have room on the left under the corner windows for a small seating area to capitalize on the nice windows. I like that the bed is not too heavy for the room.

• yayagal
    12 years ago

Or you could make a lush statment and put fabric along the entire wall and around the corner to cover both windows. You can use a wire and screw kit to do it and then buy fabric and clip on hooks. That way you can slide the window part open for some light and still have the room look cohesive.

• fully2
    12 years ago

I'm thinking that if you could draw the eye to the right side of the room with a piece similar to the height of the windows then your eye wouldn't go immediately to the windows. Something like a floor mirror with white trim the same as the windows. Or a white bookcase?
    Even a slab door painted white and a mirror hung on it. Then the room might become more in proportion and you could hang anything you liked above the bed.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

lukkiirish-this is how I originally had the bed. The problem is the wall space between the window and the right side wall. When I had it as such, it's too small of a space for someone to really get out of the right side of the bed, you have to sorta squeeze. The chair you see pictured is small. If I move it over as I had it before, centering it in what wall is there, the wall is 83", the bed is 57", that gives me only 13" of space on the right side of the bed.

ALSO, the ceiling fan is centered in the room and this makes it a little off. I'm use to having a fan set over the bed. We recently did our bedroom over, moved a wall and instead of centering the fan to the room, we centered it to where we were placing the bed. With it being the only way the bed would work, like this room, we knew we wouldn't be moving the bed.

birdgardener, I tried it on the diagonal, it didn't look good at all IMHO and I didn't like the waste of space. I also wasn't able to fit that small table correctly next to the bed. And, once again, the fan was off. The windows didn't help the way it looked either. Oh, and the right front was close to the closet. It just didn't work.

I do have a tall lamp I could put in that corner, and I have a small wall shelf that's really cute I can put in the corner up on the wall and keep the chair below, that would lend some height.

dedtired & arlosmom, see my reply above, I wish I could make it work.

yayagal, not sure how that idea would look. I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find some pics. I actually thought about doing something like that in my master to make it look like I have two windows on the wall behind my headboard instead of one, which also has the right side of the headboard sitting in front of that window. ARGH!

So if I leave it as is, which it seems really is my only option, I need something I can put on the wall above it, it's just too plain. I was thinking about something along the lines of the following, in white

• ctlane
    12 years ago

I would just move the bed to the right so it clears the window trim by a few inches. Move the night stand to the right side if there is room and put the chair under the corner windows.

• Jamie
    12 years ago

The overlap doesn't bother me at all. The fact that the window actually overlaps its' own corner completely distracts my eye and keeps it moving around the room.

I like the previously mentioned idea of flipping chair and nightstand because I like a lamp in a dark corner and a chair by a window.

You probably don't want to have to walk into the corner to turn the lamp on, though. Could you get a clapper or similar? You don't actually have to clap -- there are other simple remote-turn-on devices.

But your real question is, "What to put over the bed, when I'm used to hanging something centered over the headboard".
    I'd fill the space above the chair (or end table, if you decide to go that way) with a lamp and one or 2 columns of pictures, depending on the frame sizes.

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

If you wanted to position the bed on the wall that has the heat register, you could always use a heat register extender like that shown below. Then you wouldn't have to worry at all about the window problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: heat register extender

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I don't think the bed needs to be centered on the wall, but would move it just enough to clear the trim as someone else said. Looks like that is only about 6 inches and would give you room on the right to exit/enter the bed. I'd either do a small table there or a wall hung shelf and perhaps a wall lamp over either, and move the chair to another part of the room.

there are some cute ideas here. Check out the basket with books and lamp above.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mounted end table ideas

• Mom2BoysWisconsin
    12 years ago

I have two ideas...I would move the bed to the right just enough to get the headboard out of the frame of the window. It doesn't need to be "centered" on that space of wall. You need room to make the bed and exit the bed from that side. I am also a fan of angling the bed. That is how I have my bed positioned in my room. I have similar logistical issues. Keep in mind too, it doesn't have to be angled squarely in the corner. If you don't angle it squarely, you don't waste as much of the open area in the room. I even have a small table in the blocked off corner where we keep a phone and clock. I have a brass bed so we can easily reach through the headboard.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I would move it slightly to the right so that the vertical line of the headboard post continues the vertical of the window frame.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I agree with Jamies, it looks fine as it. I see how there is a problem finishing the wall though, especially with the arch in the headboard. I think scattering those white shelves across the wall would work.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Move the bed slightly to the right so that it clears the window.

Place the small night table on the right-hand side.

Find a larger white round table for the left-hand side. The round shape will visually "fill in" the window corner.

OR add a corner vanity or table to the window corner to fill it in (for the viewer). Then add your small chair.

A larger chair with a softer rounder shape might do the same thing. IF you place the smaller chair in the window corner -- then add a white corner-shaped (or triangular) shelving unit in the corner too.

If you do add another table -- then switch to matching lamps.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Again, thank you to all who've replied.

If I move the bed over those few inches the fan will no longer be in the middle. Maybe I have an OCD disorder, but that would bother me, not having it right in the middle. Would that bother anyone else?

Also, the dresser I have is also right in line with the bed, I have only a couple inches I could move it over, the door is there. Also, with moving the bed over, that small table in the picture wouldn't fit, it's bigger than 13"

I know there's a lot more important things in life to deal with and worry about, but I'd love to get this room done, there's not a room in this house that's done yet.

I have 2 sets of the cubes in the link below and 1 set of cubes that are also scalloped, but slightly different.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• natesgram
    12 years ago

I would switch the chair with the table but turn the table with the narrow side next to the headboard. I wouldn't worry about the fan either. We have the same size bed in a motorhome and although it's a bit tight for us, it still works. Your room would have even more on the right side and I think then you can put whatever you want above the bed. I like the idea of the chair by the windows too.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

I don't know how attached you are to the bed .....
    But...Cut the feet by an inch or~
    Paint it white..........

And don't trust me with any family heirlooms either !

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I can't say that I've ever seen a fan centered directly over a bed. They are usually centered on the whole room. So no, it wouldn't bother me at all if the fan was not centered on the bed.

I think if you scatter those shelves, it will all work out fine. I don't care for the scalloped shelves but that is just my personal taste.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Les, you are correct, this isn't our bedroom, though we've slept in it enough that it was temporarily (during construction) I guess I'm a creature of habit. Having been in my old home for 23yrs the ceiling fan and my bed were both centered in the middle of the bedroom and the ceiling fan was centered over the bed. I like the cool breeze - from Miami, need I say more?

The dresser is opposite the bed, straight ahead. Closet is REALLY tiny, not even a twin bed would slide in there, I have a double.

Not sure what I'll do with the valance. Had them all over the house. Personally, I like them, but everyone told me they were ugly and outdated. I still have them, I may just surprise the nay-sayers at some point later on.

Nates, the table is square

Forboystoo, Though I actualy loather Ethan Allen, I like the bed, have the dresser & hutch that goes with it. It's my daughters set from her bedroom, not an heirloom but like the way it goes in that room. We had a twin, full and queen to move in this house (and our king, but that was a given) and had to decide which way to go. We figured we'd get more out of the full and queen and got rid of the twin - hated doing so because that room was suppose to be the twin room - I would not be having issues if this stayed the way I initially intended (had sheets and window coverings to for the twin already) BUT, we've already been in the position that the full & queen were the right way to go, we've had visitors, the twin would not have worked.

I guess it's me, and me being a creature of habit. We extended our master bedroom a few months ago by about 3 feet and we moved the fan over to have it centered over the bed, just like I had it in my old house. It's not centered in the middle of the room. I guess it's what feels comofortable. I guess we all have some quirks, and I know I have my share :)

SIL is coming today for a visit with her BF, once she's gone I'll have to get in that room and see how the cubes will look with the bed the way it is. I'll take some pictures of it shifted over to post.

This is just one room - there's so much to do in this house!

Thanks again to you all!

• meowzer
    12 years ago

debelli, your room is really cute, and I love those types of corner windows, but they do tend to pose a challenge when arranging the room. While the headboard overlapping the window bothers me a little bit, it is actually the lamp covering part of the window that REALLY bothers me. As some have suggested, moving the table and all of its contents to the right side of the bed will make a big VISUAL difference, and the "overlapping" issue won't be as bad.

As for ideas for hanging decor on the walls, I would try an arrangement that mimics the "unbalanced" space that the windows create, if you know what I mean. In other words, hang some things on the headboard wall that fills about the same amount of space as the window of that wall; then hang some things on the side wall so that the entire arrangement wraps around the corner, just like the windows on the opposite side of the room.

Who knows, it might look really crappy (ha ha), but I would give it a try. Right now, the room feels really unbalanced.

• peegee
    12 years ago

I would mount two identical mirrors in white frames the size of the two windows, in the corner above the chair, to mimic and balance the size and heft of the windows on the left.
    I would leave the bed as is, qnd place a 3 dimensional sculpture over the bed to bridge between the two sides.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the fan being off-center of the bed. I'd move the bed to the right and swap the nightstand and chair.

• shivers20
    12 years ago

If you have the skills, I would build a fake window on the right side of the bed. Trim it out like the window on the left, maybe insert a mirror, cover it with the exact same blinds as the left window and then center the bed in between the two. Not sure how it would look, just throwing out ideas. Good Luck.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

I have a bed that sits EXACTLY like that, but I have panel curtains hanging. One post slightly overlaps the window facing like yours with a night stand under the window.

The curtain panels give the illusion of a background for the headboard so I don't even notice it is off. Heck, the night stand isn't even centered under the window. It just works.

I also have a ceiling fan - it is centered in the room - not over the bed.

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

I feel your pain and then some as we have the exact same problem (and worse) in our master bedroom. The HATED window is 28" from the corner and the window that looks out over to our neighbors window about 20' away is 30" and is less then 24' from the floor. We have a old blue duette that remains permanent closed. It chops up the "bed" wall so bad we've decided to remove the window and wallboard the inside and side the outside. It will open up our option IMMENSELY.

You on the other hand have IMO a better option. Though you like the bed frame, if you were to get a bedframe that was at or below the window casing, I think it would solve all your problems. You could center the bed between the two walls, which would center it under the fan.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Have you been to the "Gallery"? The Cottage thread has a lot of bedrooms with the beds on angles and overlapping windows. Scroll down to D where most of the bedrooms are. Some may be more cottage than you want, but the layouts are great for small rooms.

I have my bed on an angle that overlaps 1/3 of a large window. It feels right to me and actually have more room. My deal is the bed needs to look out the window, stars at night, and I sleep on the right side of the bed. Along with doors interrupting the walls, options of all are limited.

With a bed on an angle, fun pillows can block the open space behind. I do have a table behind with stacked hat boxes and a wall light on one side to allow full use of a small table on one side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gallery

• luckygal
    12 years ago

IMO you can leave the bed where it is because it's important to you to have bed centered on the ceiling fan. To create balance on that wall used the same window treatments on both sides of the bed. You can open the one over the window in the daytime but have stationary panels on the right side of the bed (as you are facing it). Make sure both sets are the same size and overlap the headboard the same distance. Between both panels (above the headboard) hang one piece of art. Personally I wouldn't do small shelves as IMO they tend to look too busy and sometimes junky with small items on them and over a headboard I'd be concerned they'd fall on my head when I was asleep. While a lot of people use those small shelves they are not usually a high-end look IMO. One long wall shelf with photos can look very classy in a room other than a bedroom but several small ones - no. Just my opinionated opinion tho! ;-D

Angling the bed in a small bedroom takes too much space and won't balance the room.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County