SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Armchair Designers - What Do You Think? PICS

eldemila
12 years ago

I think I found something that could easily work in this very small hall and would like some validation from others before I splurge...

Hall has doorways on all 4 sides so there's not any solid wall.

The wall in question is 63" wide from door frame to door frame, ceilings are average 8' high. You see this wall when you are in the kitchen, and walking to our den. The wall is RIGHT next to a bathroom on the right side, so nothing can stick out too far since you'd bump in to it going in/coming out of the bathroom. The left side of the wall is a door that goes to our "storage room" and the door opens up against this wall.

It's the wall on the left, behind the painter.

Full wall

This is what I was thinking of buying. It measures

66"H x 50"W x 6.5"D

Any thoughts? I was thinking of the color above, or the one below, though I think the color above goes better with the paint color on the wall.

Thanks for any thoughts, I just hate second-guessing myself! If anyone has seen anything similar and knows a website to look at, I'm all eyes! : )

Comments (24)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I love the color you are using. I am going to be honest and say that I think you will not be happy with anything that protrudes from the wall in question. You'd be better off with pictures there. Having your storage room door bump into it will eventually become a huge nuisance. I also think it may be too contemporary for your house, judging from the brick fireplace and mantel.

I really wanted to say "great! -- go for it" but I just don't think so. Maybe others will feel differently. Good luck!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

I tend to agree with dedtired. Even if the shelving unit won't get bumped, I think it's going to cause a small bit of visual discomfort or disruption in the space. I think pictures, or a large canvas piece, would be a better choice in the space. I really like your new wall color!

• Related Discussions

Pics of 30'' Culinarian - What Do You Think?

Q

Comments (59)
    Must be time for a LASIK tune-up, or better reading glasses. The center strip, while attractive, appears to my eyes to be slightly below the tine tips of the burner grates. In any case, it's pre-production, and the company response shows receptiveness, urgency and a commitment to get it right. The damn thing's probably level and fooling us all. An "optical seclusion," if you will. :-)
    ...See More

What do you all think? (pics)

Q

Comments (30)
    Alas, no photos of the paint-washing technique...I moved away from the house without having taken any. I've added a link to a wall that looks almost exactly like it, however. This one is a little grayer than what you'd get with your wall color as the base, but it gives a good idea. But - now that I've seen the whole room, I think you should bite the bullet, frame out the wall around the brick, sheetrock it (or panel it in the beadboard), add a whole mantelpiece in keeping with your cabinetry, paint it to match, and cover the brick hearth with slate or bluestone slabs. Here's an example of a mantelpiece: http://www.mantelsdirect.com/fairfield.html Until you can do that, I'd recommend whitewashing the brick, dulling the metal surround, and leaving the mantel as is. In any case, I'd also reframe the picture with a mat that's twice as wide and weighted at the bottom, and a dull/antique gold frame. It's a lovely room, and I think you have established a style that is a step up from the simplicity of your fireplace. Continuing it will snap the whole place into focus. Here is a link that might be useful: Whitewashed brick
    ...See More

What do you think of our kitchen choices Pics!!

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, the coloring in the pictures are not very accurate. The backsplash tile has more browns and gold tones than pink and mauve. The glass tile inserts are also brown. I thought the coloring of all pieces worked great, I was more concerned the granite and backsplash were to busy and may look a little bit too dark.
    ...See More

What do you think of this birth announcement? (pic)

Q

Comments (25)
    I'd do the pink background with brown lettering and the brown background with pink lettering. -Use the same shades of pink and brown for both sections and it should work well. Don't know what kind of pictures you plan to use... but the feet are kind of boring, IMO. I'd maybe do a small picture of Grant holding her instead.
    ...See More
  • deeinohio
    12 years ago

Agree with the others. I had an antique German shadowbox kind of picture frame just opposite the guest bathroom door. DH was forever knocking into it. I finally moved it to a wider hallway.
    Dee

• lynxe
    12 years ago

Another one who agrees with dedtired. That unit would look interesting when standing directly in front of it but may well look like an oddly designed piece of molding or trim from the vantage point of either end of the hall. Plus, don't forget that halls are designed as a means of going from point A to point B. People generally do not linger in them, so whatever you place on those shelves probably won't get a second glance after the novelty wears off.

I'm a little unclear on which room is which. Is the bathroom the room directly in front of the painter? Which is the kitchen, and which the den? (I'm trying to envision which door(s) open out, and in what direction.) Because one possibility is something like a scroll on that long wall in the back, on the right. Alternatively, depending on which doors open & how far, you could do a gallery wall like the kinds that have been discussed in other threads.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If you walk down the hall with anything in your hands, bags of groceries, laundry, armloads of towels, I would be knocking stuff off of that arrangement.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I suppose it's unanimous.

One of the things you always notice on design shows is that they remove a lot of stuff. Most of us have to much furniture in our home. Its tempting, but it looks wrong and can also be a functional issue.

I also echo the comment about vantage point. A lot of things that look great head on when you can back up and see them, do not look as nice sideways.

• pris
    12 years ago

In addition to all the above opinions I think that such a small "room" is busy enough with all the doors. The addition of shelving and knick knacks makes it evan more busy. Have you thought of wall hangings such as a quilt piece or other craft item?

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The wall behind the painter with the white door and diamond shaped glass goes to the "storage room" which is actually the porch the prior owners enclosed, The door straight ahead in the picture with the yellow tile is a half bath. The doorway that's in front of the painter (right side of screen) leads to the kitchen/eating area and the doorway that the picture was taken from is looking at it from our den.

Not sure if the above makes a difference in anyone's opinion, but also note that there's a floor intake grate on the same wall I want to put this piece that comes out the same amount of space, 6", from the baseboards.

It would definitely go with the decor. The den was totally renovated, not that you see it from there, but on your way there. That G-D awful half bath is going to be gutted out next year and have wood vanity and painted a rust-ish type of color, the floor will be gone and the kitchen is going to be gutted out as well.

This is what you see as you go from the kitchen through this little hallway and in to the den.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS WAS PRIOR TO PURCHASE, THOUGH THE KITCHEN STILL REMAINS THE SAME, FOR NOW.

Any change of minds, or additions?

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

no change of mind from me, I agree with all of the above for busy look
    ( although that's a question of personal taste) and unpracticality
    you said that the white door to the storage room opens on this wall, already that's a red flag, imo......

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

I think a 2 level board and batten treatment ( ie horizontal boards approx 3 1/2 feet and 5 1/2 feet) painted white with an upper ledge about 3-4" thick just above head height serving as a picture ledge would be perfect. The corner closest to the opening door would be cut at an angle so that the door does not run into it. I have a similar setup in my hallway and love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 level board and batten idea pinterest

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I put three floating shelves in my hallway. I staggered them and they looked very nice. BUT even those were in the way....grands kept hitting them, husband also. Down they came and I put up a picture gallery of sorts. Pictures flat against the wall....much better. I think your shelving unit, while vey nice, would be in the way...especially with the door opening into it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Still unanimous.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Have to agree with everyone else. The shelving is nice, and I see that it doesn't protrude very far. Looks pretty with the displayed objects, etc. That said, I think you will have an "incident" regardless. Since I see it as more impractical than not, that alone would be the ultimate deal breaker.

Do you have children, or children who visit? Can't help it, but the practical me is just picturing someone taking out the entire shelving unit in one unintentional wrong move in that area. A "lesser" incident would at the very least leave some broken glass.

Would it be possible to wait and find something else for that wall? Either that, or you're going to have to figure out a way to display things that are of nominal value and absolutely no worries if any item displayed lands on the floor and is broken.

I think you could spend the money it would cost to buy and decorate that particular unit on something much more practical. Sorry, but that set up is just screaming great in theory, but no so much in practice.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

I haven't changed my mind about the impracticality of the shelving unit, but now that I see what you see from the kitchen, I'm envisioning something on that bit of hall wall. pris's idea of a quilt, or something similar, is great. My only caveat would be that the piece should be relatively inexpensive; also easy to clean. It seems inevitable to me that kids passing from kitchen to anywhere might be inclined to touch it; hence, no heirlooms. But if you can find something that works with the hall's wall color but also ties in with the kitchen's color(s), you'd have something interesting to look at from the kitchen.

BTW that oven is too cool for words!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, kids are gone (YEAH! Love them, but I've done my job)No grandkids that will visit anytime soon, no pets, only a man that can behave like a kid (you know that one).

I really don't think the door would be an issue, it's not like we would fling it open and I could put one of those stoppers where it won't fling open all the way - we had that on our front door in our old house. Had a console table right behind it, and it never hit it, so that could be an option.

I have so much wall space in this house I will NEVER be able to fill it with pictures. I have a corner of my living room that will be a gallery, and a really long and wide hallway that needs lots of "stuff" on the walls - they're empty!

As for what I'd be putting on there, more than likey it's going to be breakables, but what about using the sticky stuff they use in museums so if it gets bumped it stays? Never used it, don't know the name of it, but know it exsists.

The opening from the kitchen is 48", the unit is 50"w, so basically, you'd see the entire piece, so I thought it would be nice visually.

The piece will come out the exact depth that the floor vent that's next to the bathroom (seen in 2nd pic). The door to the bathroom when fully opened is right in line with that same vent. I wanted to make sure if someone was coming out of that bathroom that we've yet to use would knock in to the piece. They wouldn't, unless they're a very large wide person (if I don't stop eating, that person may be ME!)

I want to say THANK YOU ONE AND ALL for all your insights, thoughts and ideas, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm a bit torn, I see what some of the problems could be, but I really like the look of this and think it could work.

Here's a few more pictures I just took, so this is as it stands now. Sorry about the messes u see, still working on this house (and will be for quite a while!)

From the kitchen

Coming from the den - straight ahead is the bathroom, right is to the kitchen

Wall in question and door that opens up against wall

Wall opposite from wall for the piece with the doorway to kitchen

Wall in question, just another angle

Full doorway coming from the kitchen in to hall

View from the bathroom looking in to the den straight ahead Sorry for the junk in the background! ...

• dakota01
    12 years ago

What is the paint color? It looks great. Is it a goldish green?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am sorry, but as much as you want it, you can see the idea is not working for anyone else. It is your house and you will be the one living with it/paying for it, but with the overwhelming response against the idea, you may want to pause and sleep on it some more.
    Sometimes, people echo what a poster wants to hear, but you are getting so many no-s and no yeses....

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, appreciate all your replies. I'll sleep on it and give it more thought and see what else can come to mind that I may like.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeannie, it's Behr Riviera Beach. It's really not green but definitely looks like it is, I think it's the lighting. I guess it's like a beigey-green???

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Love your paint color!

It sounds like you're asking the same question different ways to get the answer you want to hear.

I'm afraid it's total agreement, though.

Do it if you want. It's your house!

Happy T-Day!
    Christine

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

***tiny dissenting voice***

My hallway is very narrow at one end and absurdly wide at the other. In the wide end we put in bookcases, the narrow end felt unbalanced to me. I hung a narrow shelf and mirror on the narrow side, adorned it with pictures and a few nicknacks. I was very worried about it being in the way, but liked the look. We've only had one incident, and that was when someone bent over to pick up something from the floor and stood up directed under the shelf. Other than that, walking down the hall hasn't been problematic.

Of course, my case is not like yours, but I did want to point out that it can work.
    (sorry for the dust & mess!)

From GW

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I think you really like those shelves and that they would make you happy. For that reason, I think you should go for it! If they don't work out in that location, they will work somewhere else. Enjoy them.

• rjinga
    12 years ago

If you LOVE the shelving unit, AND you have somewhere else to put it should it not work out on this desired wall, then I'd say get it, try it and decide later. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't have an equally desirable space to place it, if and when it didn't pan out on the wall in question. my 02 worth.

I have large scrolled wrought iron candle sconces on each side of my formal dining room and they are up high so that they aren't immediately in anyones way, my ceilings are very very tall, and I still knock into them and I know they are there and use care when cleaning in that area.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Pesky, thanks for posting that pic. That could be my wall, with the exception that your door opens on the opposite side than mine, which for me, may be a plus. Can you tell me how deep that shelf is that you have up? Hey, I have the right color bathroom for that door of yours!

I too thought if it doesn't work, I have so many other possibilities of where this thing can go, probably would have to paint it, but I have so much open space on my walls that I'm sure I could find an alternate place. I sure have enough tchakes to fill it up.

I do like it because of what I envisioned it could look like on that wall and what it would accomplish that I'm trying to do. That area could only use a tiny table, and honestly, I don't need another table in this small area. The hall actually measures 4'7"W x 9'L, not a big area at all.

I actually envisioned what I wanted to do with a deck I took part of down, and with placing lattice underneath it. Here is what I envisioned:

Went from this:

{{gwi:51482}}

To this:

my vision:

The outcome

{{gwi:51488}}

I think I sometimes give too much thought to this, but I really do hate to make a mistake, which to me = wasting money. I was surprised so many people were against this, and of course, that REALLY made me think it over, and over, and over - like all night long. I know, need to get a life here. But I just wanted to see, with what people said they could see being a problem, and with me wanting to lay all the options out if they still thought it wouldn't be good, which many still think it won't.

But, I went with my gut and ordered it. It may be something I regret and will be the first to come on here to tell you that you were all right and I should have listened. I'm not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. But I figured, if I don't give it a try and see if it works, I'll always wonder (or at least wonder til I find something else) if it would have worked.

If it doesn't work where I intended it to work, I can actually return it according to the website, so maybe shipping costs may be all I may lose, if I can't find a place for it elsewhere that is.

I will update the thread when it arrives and let you know how right you were, or let you all judge for yourselves.

Again, I appreciate EACH AND EVERY REPLY!!!!!