SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

fascinating meeting with color consultant re northern exp. room

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

I thought I'd share what I learned meeting with an in-house consultant at Ben. Moore today, both to solidify my own learnings and to hear what you all think of it.

I presented our low-light northern exposure situation, along with color swatches of flooring and cabinets and big upholstery pieces, and pics of our counter and backsplash (kitchen is part of this big amorphous area, kind of like a Great Room avant la lettre :)). I also shared with her the current paint scheme, that has a light color in the back area, a *really* deep brownish-red on a set of walls kind of in the center of the house, and a band-aid kind of color in the front of the house, with windows and southern exposure and more light.

I'd been considering replacing the brownish red with an only slightly less deep blue-green, to echo the blue-green kitchen counter and the glass dining table and start to connect the inherited paint scheme to our own colors in the areas we've remodeled. I was *at a loss* as to what to do in the back -- clear colors? light colors? deep colors? We had lots of suggestions, all of which sounded good but none of which I could really fit together into a cohesive vision. It always felt blocked, start-and-stop-ish, iykwim.

So what she recommended, as a rule of thumb, is:

In rooms that are naturally dark, use two tones, and put the darker tone on the wall that actually has the windows, and the lighter tone on the wall that catches the light.

Which would be the *reverse* of what Gretchen S. did. She put dark on the walls that caught light, and light on the exterior walls.

But the way this person advocated, the views would then be framed in such a way that they'd drop away more than if they were framed with a lighter color, and the lighter walls would reflect more light rather than just suck it in to die.

It makes *total* sense to me! I'd never heard it before--has anyone else heard this?

So we're looking at Coastal Fog for the inner walls and Brandon Beige for the outer, and in the front, instead of the big wall of red or of something like EK Emerald, she suggested the *darkest* we go is Pleasant Valley and the inner front walls go with Colony Green. I've got wet samples painted up and we'll see what they look like tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking this is a great idea to keep in mind for dark rooms, both from a frame-the-view aspect and a light-colors-reflect aspect. It's like the best of both worlds -- you get your dramatic darker color and your light too.

It also addressed the flow question, because instead of having a huge block of DARK in the middle of the house, we'd have a lighter color that connected with both the front and the back and didn't stop us in our tracks, and the *slight* differences around the room would keep the eye moving as well, provide a bit more movement than a single color without jolts of "accent wall".

IF it works.

So...*has* anyone done anything like this? Has it worked? I'm extremely curious.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz