SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Poly question. Different brands = different colors?

14 years ago

Installed unfinished/natural oak beadboard on my island today along with iron corbels. My cabinets are "natural" oak. The beadboard currently looks very white in comparison. I slapped some poly on a scrap piece and it darkened the color but the tone is off. The cabinets are slightly more orange and the polyed beadboard is more brown. I need to see it during the day. It might not look bad on the island but I can't mess this up. The veneer that was on before was slightly off and I don't think it was that noticeable.

Do different brands of poly have different tones? I had a can of Minwax polyurethane in "clear semi gloss" I tried. I wondered about staining first but then figured that with the poly would just make it even darker. ?

Suggestions? I'd post on the woodworking forum but it moves super slow. I'd like to have this done before Thanksgiving since I'm hosting.

Wasn't going to post a photo but here you can see the color difference. You can see at the bottom of the piece how light it is before the poly. Please excuse the mess.

{{!gwi}}

Painting the beadboard or cabinets isn't an option at this point. (not just because of Thanksgiving. :) )

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County