SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Mldao & Everyone - bought more LR paint samples

User
15 years ago

I'm back. Well the BM sample color selection wasn't as big as I thought. Most that I had on my paper weren't there. :( They said they could mix quarts up for me but I wasnt into paying that much for that many colors. Luckily they did have Northampton Putty which was my first pic anyhow.

On my list to buy was:Northampton Putty, Yorkshire Tan, Jamesboro Gold, Providence Olive, Baby Turtle, Stone House

I BOUGHT: Northampton Putty, Olive Branch, Stone House.

Also bought some grays. Been considering those for kitchen, master bed/bath. ThatÂs another thread. :)

I have all three on the sample board and I think I like the Northampton Putty best. I think the Olive Branch is a little too green. The Shaker Beige, while it doesnÂt look horrible, I think I could do better. I think I might like Providence Olive a little better than the Putty but who knows since I donÂt have the actual paint. The Northampton Putty looks pretty brown but itÂs also painted right beside the Olive so that that could be causing it not to look as green?

I think they all look really dark but my walls are stark white so probably anything will be a shock for awhile. I think your house(Mldao!) looks great with the N.Putty and so many other homes I see with popular colors that are darker look great.

I want to get new curtains but I think if IÂd chose the Northampton I could keep the ones I have up for awhile?

HereÂs some pics. The lighting is horrible so theyÂre actually darker than what theyÂre showing up. CanÂt wait for the morning sun so I can get a better look.

Top color is Northampton Putty, middle is Olive Branch, bottom (lightest) Stone House

{{gwi:1852077}}

{{gwi:1852079}}

curtains are green. They seem to show up somewhat taupey on pics

{{gwi:1852081}}

{{gwi:1852083}}

{{gwi:1852085}}

Thoughts?

How do you know when you find "the" color? Do you really like it on the sample board or do you just get so sick of testing that you go with one?

Comments (42)

• funkyart
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well this is definitely in the personal taste range.. you will need to live with it so it really needs to be your pick.

That said, I like the olive branch-- I think the green adds to your room. Northampton putty is nice too but as you said (and mldao said) it doesn't have the green .. I think it does give the impression of green in Mldao's house because she uses green in all/most of her rooms.

The stone house has pink tones that I am not liking in your room.

It's sunny today so you should get a different view in natural light.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice and sunny here indeed. I think Funky hit it on the head when she said how Mldao has a lot of green in her house so the Northampton Putty looks better.

The Northampton looks ok but I think it will look really blah once its on the whole wall. Really dont like the Stone House. Like the Olive Branch. I think theyre all dark but I was comparing Olive Branch to Baby Turtle on the strip and they look about the same level of color to me. Baby turtle actually looks like it has more brown in it. When I hold the Baby Turtle strip up to the Northampton and Olive sample it looks rather close to the Northampton. So I dont know that Im going to get that sample. I then looked at the Providence Olive color on the strip and that looks like it has less green than the Baby Turtle or Olive Branch. Hope everyone was able to follow all that!

Any other color suggestions? Im not sure how the Olive Branch is going to look with my existing drapes. Again, I would like to get new ones but not RIGHT now. Hoping theyll work for the time being.

Heres some more pics. The Northampton Putty I think looks really bad behind the tan chair. Theyre still looking washed out on my monitor. I need new batteries but should also invest in a new camera.

Northampton on left, Olive on right
    {{gwi:1852086}}

Northampton
    {{gwi:1852087}}

Olive
    {{gwi:1852088}}

{{gwi:1852089}}

{{gwi:1852090}}

{{gwi:1852091}}

• Related Discussions

Do any of you still have any antique flower oil paintings in LR

Q

Comments (12)
    I bought this one several years ago at a consignment shop. I hated the finish on the frame, but knew I could fix that problem easily. Here it is Before. It was done in a weird Shabby Chic attempt with blue in the crevices, but the carved wood frame was a nice one: Like you, I had to first figure out what would compliment the picture and work in the room . . . although complimenting the picture should always come first. I thought that an Old World look would work best with this classic print. I painted the outside 3 borders a deep rich brown. This is just acrylic craft paint, BTW. I then used a Raw Umber wash over the outer two, allowing it to stay in the crevices of the second border's carvings. I knew that I wanted the inner frame edge to be gold, so I painted that and then used gold Run-N-Buff on the border next to it. This was a good segue to the gold inner border, IMO. I can't find the rest of my pics that I took as I painted and then antiqued the frame, but here's one of the last steps in my process. After this, I just antiqued the gold inner border with a brown antiquing wash and it was done. The bottom line is that you can use the small bottles of acrylic craft paint, glaze and antiquing medium to easily get what you want on pretty much any ratty or wrong colored frame. I had enough art already on our walls but, with our high ceilings, I wanted to hang something over the doors in our family room. I found the plates after that to hang on either side of it. They're not that orange IRL, but more of a soft amber color. The camera's flash bounces through the glass, off the cream wall behind them and always makes them look like that in pics! Lynn
    ...See More

LR Paint Color & Decor Help

Q

Comments (21)
    Thank you, lindybarts, for thinking about my room further. We are more traditional than contemporary, and I tend toward oriental rugs, simply because they tend to clean up well (hairball removal factor is excellent!), but the rug certainly can be just about anything. We used to have a rug, called Ariana, in green, that we ended up selling to a friend because it didn't work in our old house. Now I'm thinking it might work with what we have going on?? It can be seen at the link below, although the photo is quite dark - IRL, it's quite a pleasing, darker sagey shade of green although it might be too much green with green walls? Parma, thanks for the additional thoughts. I had heard before that greens go better with stained wood than gold, so I guess I thought that was where you were coming from. But I agree with you nonetheless, green will look better with what we have going on. I will definitely try the Svelte Sage. I've seen it on the chip and have liked it, but haven't seen it in a room before - will look up some photos and check it out. Thanks again to you both!! Here is a link that might be useful: Ariana rug
    ...See More

Help! I've made terrible mistakes with LR (pics)

Q

Comments (66)
    I love the furniture you've picked out. It will look bright and cheery and just the feeling of the inspiration pics you've posted in your other threads...once you paint! Paint the darn room already! :) My last house had muddy mauve and no natural light (houses on three sides and a big porch on the other). As soon as I painted, it changed everything. Even my mood was better. And if you have a front porch, I suggest you paint the porch ceiling blue. It made a big difference looking out my window and seeing Martha Stewart's Porch Ceiling Blue. Almost as good as being able to see the sky. :) Let your room evolve. Don't feel like it has to be "done" right away. Take your time finding art and accessories that you love. You're doing great and you're going to have a lovely space to enjoy.
    ...See More

Bought paint samples for LR

Q

Comments (64)
    The website is a bit confusing. 1. Commercial to RGB 2. HC-89 3. BM Color Preview Then you scroll down to where it states the name of the paint. To the right of that it should read: Get commercial tints, calculator, harmonies The get commercial tints is if you want this color in another brand of paint other than BM. That's what I clicked and then I chose SW from the drop down menu. Harmonies is if you'd like to see what other colors compliment BM Northhampton Putty. Please don't feel bad about this, I totally understand that overwhelmed feeling. I'm in the midst of trying to figure what color to paint my kids rooms. My painters are coming Monday and so far I've only narrowed down a color for my PR LOL. I still have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms to go yikes! Here's another picture of my MBR. I think BM Yorkshire Tan is another contender for your LR. I can send you more pics of the BM Yorkshire Tan, let me know. BM Northhampton Putty I have a a few pillows similar in color to yours in my LR. I'll put them next to the BM Northhampton Putty and post the pics later today, (running late).
    ...See More
  • funkyart
    15 years ago

I would like a color with a little more green and a touch lighter. I don't have any suggestions but i think you are in the right range.. but a touch more green and a lighter color would help brighten up your dark decor and to keep the colors from blurring together.

• linley1
    15 years ago

I definitely prefer the Olive Branch. I think it contrasts nicely with the reds in your furniture and also the rug.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was looking through my SW paint strips and like the color 6415 Hearts of Palm. It's a lighter green/brown color. Also like SW 7733 Bamboo Shoot but I think that one might be pretty dark.

Anyone have the Hearts of Palm?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scratch those two colors I just named. My Sister was over and was looking at different ones with me. She mentioned the Hearts of Palm may look somewhat pastel on the walls. I think the other one will be too dark.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

sheesharee, I like the olive branch over the other two. Have you checked the green paint thread on the gallery side to look at other greens there?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bru - Yeah I've been to the gallery side and saved a bunch. The ones I was saving/liked were gray green and those colors weren't working in the LR.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Maybe you should get a quart of the Yorkshire Tan and try it out. I'm thinking mldao said it was more green than Northampton Putty, but I'm not postive. Hopefully, she'll see this and let us know which one has more green.

Laurie

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looking at the strips the Yorkshire tan just looks brown to me.
    Oh Mldao, where are you ?. . . :)

• mldao
    15 years ago

Hi sheesharee,

Sorry, my neighbor called last night in tears. She's hosting a luncheon today and her caterer had her scheduled for next Saturday, big oops! I'm the resident amateur cook/chef on our street so I my phone tends to ring a lot this time of year. I had to tweek the menu and improvise with a lot of last minute changes working in what she'd already purchased.

Enough about that. Are you able to take a picture of your entire LR? In certain pictures I like the northampton putty then in others the olive. In all honesty, I don't think any of the paint samples make me say "that's it". Do you know what I mean? In my rooms these colors look more green due to my furnishings. You on the other hand don't have a lot of green furnishings but a greenish paint would really compliment your LR. I'm posting some pictures to show you how different a color can look based on your furnishings and lighting.

Left:Old Salem Gray Right: Providence Olive If I'd use one of these colors in here I think my LR would look really washed out. Too much green.

Same picture w/o samples the color is BM Livingston Gold see how green this color can look but on the fandeck it looks very brownish/gold

same room:

Here's the paint samples again in my FR w/out any greens. The actual wall color in here is BM Jamesboro Gold.

Again with red pillows:

Another shot of the same room. Now the color looks more brown.

This is northampton putty in my MBR, it looks so much greener then your sample because I used green furnishings.

Yorkshire Tan in my Laundry room. It looks more brown then green. Not that good of a picture but IRL it's way more brown.

Yorkshire Tan in my DR. It looks much greener in here.

This Hancock Gray in my PR. No windows or natural light and there's nothing else in the room that's green. I didn't realize it was this green until after it was painted. I'll probably change this to providence olive when I get my kitchen painted.

I could be completely wrong w/o seeing your LR IRL but I think providence olive or old salem gray might work. I also think you might really like yorkshire tan once you see it IRL. The other factor is your walls are white and any color is going to be a bit of a shock. I'd paint a much larger section of your walls with these colors and any other you might like to try. Keep them up there for a week to see how they look in different lighting. I totally empathize with what your're going through because I was in my own paint hell and will soon embark into that dark, painful territory with my kitchen color.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mldao Ahh thats horrible about your poor neighbor! Im sure shes so happy you were there to help!!

Well earlier today I thought I had it all figured out, now Im second guessing myself again.

Thank you for taking all those pictures and making the comparisons. Well I might have to bite the bullet and buy more samples. DH will be thrilled. :) Whats the best/cheapest way to go about this? Since BM doesnt have Providence Olive or Old Salem Gray (which I missed grabbing that sample strip.) should I order online from BM or My Perfect Color? I have a foyer/hallway to paint yet (as well as the rest of the house!) so I guess it would be good to have the other colors to choose from.

Does the Olive Branch not look green on your monitor? I really think the others dont look as green. Its so hard to tell color on a computer. As I look back at my pictures I like the Northampton better again in some of them. I swear earlier today that one looked blah.

Bought everything under the sun tonight but forgot more poster board. I think Im going to paint the whole side of one so I can see the color by itself. Do this with all the contenders. I dont think its helping that theyre right beside one another. Also grabbed batteries so my camera should be good to go. Dont know why the photos look all hazy. I didnt think there was that much light that came in during the day.

I'll post more later! Thanks again!

• mldao
    15 years ago

Sheesharee:

I just got back from the movies. I'm sure you're in bed by now but I'll check back tomorrow morning. Which colors did you purchase tonight? If you'd like you can email me personally. I have BM providence olive, old salem gray, jamesboro gold, yorkshire tan, hancock gray, livingston gold and blair gold. I can mail you the painted poster boards, it's really not a big deal. I'm constantly mailing things back east, my in-laws live in NH and SIL is in Georgia.

The olive branch does look green to me on my monitor. As far as samples go do you have a Sherwin Williams near you? They charge $5.00 and you get a whole lot more paint. BM charges $4.99 for their little sample pots and half of them were old and dried up. The samples I have of providence olive, old salem gray and hancock gray were made at a BM store so it's there actual paint. You could go broke buying samples from them. I paid $14.00 for each quart size sample from them. I was there so often I think I'm having seperation anxiety. LOL

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Here is a photo of Yorkshire tan in my guest bath. The back wall is showing the true color with the outside light coming in.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Hi Sheeshare!

Of the samples you bought, I like the Olive Branch.
    Another good sagey green with earth tones is SW Moselle or Ardmore Green.
    I am also wondering what Newhomebuilder's Decatur Buff(is that it?) would look like in there. I think you need a rich but not dark color in there. You could also look at BM Wilmington Tan like I have used - it looks good with rich colors & wood tones like you have.

Take your sofa pillow into the BM store with you. I have found some people that work there are very good with colors. Maybe if you have a carpet sample - take that, too. Then take the paint samples outside at the store - we don't have flourescent lighting like the stores do.

Good luck.
    Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mldao I didnt purchase any more colors. My Grandparents came over today so we were busy with that. I was going to possibly order some online. There is an actual SW store near my work. Would I just need to take them the BM color strip or would I need more info? Would SW get the color accurate? Ive seen threads on here about people have problems having BM paint mixed other places such as Lowes etc. I did notice 4 out of the 6 BM samples I bought were all dried at the top and were only ¾ filled. Oh my, you paid for the quart size paint? I guess that would probably about equal out to buying them online and having it shipped. I was at an Ace Hardware store that carried BM paint. Thats the only one near me. The guy there I was talking to didnt seem too knowledgeable about paint colors and fabrics. :) Super nice though.
    Would you really mail me the sample boards?! That would be great! I could pay you for shipping through paypal. You can shoot me an email if you want.

Brutuses Thank you for posting that pic. Your house is coming along nicely. Are you moved in yet? I like the color as its showing in your bathroom.

Johnatemp! Ill look into those other two colors. I shouldve just bought a fan deck while I was there.
    Isnt Decanter Buff (sp?) dark? I am worried about the room looking too dark/cave like with all of my furniture being so dark. When I held up other gold colors though my carpet took on a dirty look. Is Decanter more brown?

So everyone pretty much thinks the Olive Branch may be too dark and just not the right color? I dont have the "thats it" feel either, Im just getting itchy to paint!

• redbazel
    15 years ago

For What it's Worth........

Here's how I go about finding "it"...that paint shade that will make me feel good every time I walk into my room. First thing I try to do is decide what basic color I want. You know, do I want to go with a gold to bring out the red in the drapes? Do I want more of a tan shade to keep the decor more neutral? How about a nice red kitchen? At this first spot in the road to finding a paint shade, you're mostly going with your preferences, the way you want the room to feel, and the furnishings that are building the room---maybe an oriental rug, a sofa fabric, or drapes that need to stay. If your drapes are bronzey green, you know right away that you need to stay in a certain range to keep things looking right. And this is the place where people helping online can be so great. Perhaps you have a beige in mind for your walls, but someone here at GW points out that your furniture is all tan and beige and will make the room look washed out. So, you narrow down to a green that will work with your drapes.
    My second step is the paint chips..........lots of them. Sometimes a chip can really send me in a different direction than I thought I wanted to go. A paint chip can help you determine what might work with your fabric or what tends to look muddy in the room. But they don't tell all the story. The next step for me, after I've narrowed down that I want let's say, a browned-green in my room, and I have BM Baby Turtle, BM Northampton Putty, BM Alexandria Beige, and BM Olive Branch paint chips.......I just pick the color that seems like the best choice, the best in most lights and with the most of the rooms signature pieces--the sofa, the chair, the rug, etc. So maybe I think I want Northampton Putty?
    Well, I have tried the sample jars. I actually was right there standing on the sample jar ferry when it first boarded.....holding up a sign saying "Buy Samples First!" and waiving my arms. But although they work well for some people, and can certainly eliminate certain colors right out of hand, they just don't cut it for me.

I bite the bullet and go buy a full quart of the color I think is my "it" color. Yes, it costs about $10, **Unless you are fortunate enough to be looking at Sherwin Wms paints or have a SW guy who can do a really close computer-match, since SW has the $5 test quarts** But I think a full quart sample is the way to go. I pour some in my paint tray and roll it right on the wall I want to paint. I use the nap roller I need for my wall texture. I try to get paint pretty near the edge of a wall so that no previous white (or other color wall) shows near my chosen color. I start the paint so that I can push a chair or the sofa up near the wall and no other wall color shows except for my chosen shade going up, up, up, almost to the 8' ceiling. I make my paint splotch fairly wide too......maybe 6' or so. That way, I can pull a little end table up to the wall with a lamp or a print on it and see the effect with furniture and accessories. If the first coat doesn't go on well enough, I let it dry a bit and do another coat. I try a splotch on a couple of walls, one with more light and one with less. Then, I let the paint dry so I can look at it in it's natural state. This is how I Eliminated BM STONE HOUSE from my DR paint selection. I had a quart, was fully prepared to use Stone House, since it got rave reviews all over the place, but bought a quart first. Could be a super color for many, but it didn't do a blessed thing for my DR furniture. In the picture below, (which is actually painted in Northampton Putty!) I had the whole corner next to my armoire painted with the Stone House to test. I had moved my plant stand and rolled paint on that wall and pretty far up the wall, also over to the edge of the armoire.

The color you see, that I finally chose after buying another test quart, was NORTHAMPTON PUTTY. In the can, it reads more beige, but on the walls, there is a definite lean to green that looked good with my furniture and my other things in the room. I also have a bronzey green fabric on my dining chairs in this room that looks really good with the N.P.
    The other great thing about actually painting out a section of wall.......it can definitely tell you the direction you need to go. In this case, the Stone House was too much beige, not warm enough. That's how I knew to try my next choice, the Northampton Putty.

I have the N.P. in the dining room and it reads green......a muted browney green, but still....in a sophisticated shade that is medium dark but works with so much in the way of fabric and furnishings. I have the Baby Turtle in my LR and down my hallway. It's lighter in value than the N.P. and looks a little more green to me. I have Olive Branch in my laundry room. My laundry has no natural light at all, and the Baby Turtle looked like sludge in there. The Olive Branch has so much green that the absence of natural light didn't suck out all the color. For that small area it worked for me. I think I would like it in a kitchen too, where there's a lot of cabinetry and not much wall. But for a big area, like my DR or my LR, it would be too much green, not neutral enough.........not in my house.

Red

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red Thanks for taking the time to type all that. The Northampton looks great in that room and does look greenish to me. I read somewhere before about you painting a large section of your actual wall. What if I buy a huge section of poster board or tape a bunch together and paint that? : )

Thinking about ditching the pillows that originally came with the furniture, move the bronzy/gold ones to the ends, and find some smaller pillows with green. That might help add some more green to the room. But then the green would have to coordinate with me weird colored drapes. *sigh*

Back to paint, what color do you think should be the first choice? Tonight Im leaning back towards Northampton. Maybe since my curtains are green it would help? I would like to change them out at some point but thats a little way off.

Id really like to try and narrow it down the best I can before I paint a sample on the wall. As indecisive as I am it will look like that for a while, which will really bug both DH and myself. It would all be worth it in the end if I found the right one. Id say paint could make or break the look of a room.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

FWIW, I am on the same page as Red. I have painted A LOT of rooms over the years and I always start with a quart. Forget those itty bitty sample pots. Totally worthless! I also paint a huge section of wall just like Red explained, usually on the end close to where it makes the 90 degree turn into the next room. That way, when I look at the wall, it looks like a finished wall, with no white next to it. You will know if you are on the right track. If you don't like it, then go on to the next color. I look at it day, night, afternoon, lights on, lights off. I also paint smaller swatches on different walls in the same room that receive different light. If you're not comfortable with that, than I suggest that you paint a poster size foam board and move it around the room. Paint the whole side of one board. You can always choose a different color for the other side. The problem with painting colors so close to one another on the same paper is that they will play off of one another and not show true. Unfortunatley you have entered paint h*ll where so many of us have been before. Don't make a decision just because you are anxious to paint because you will regret your choice and it will be money down the drain. Take your time, ask friends, neighbors, parents, inlaws whatever and listen to your gut. Go with what YOU like!

• mldao
    15 years ago

sheesharee,

Do I use the GW website to send you an email. I'm pretty sure my neighbor has BM decatur buff and shelburne buff, she painted the exterior of her house one of these colors. Give me a couple of days and I'll send you poster boards of livingston gold, blair gold, hancock gray, yorkshire tan, old salem gray, providence olive, decatur buff and shelburne buff. I'll also write on the back if it's orginal BM or if's it vista or dunn edwards. Poster boards I've got coming out of the you know what (3 kids endless school projects). I'll be so happy if one of these colors works for you. Just give me until Wed. to paint them and another day or two for them to dry. This is a lot less expensive and if anything you can save money by knowing what samples not to buy. Maybe this is something all of us on GW who feel comfortable with this can do to help each other out.

Ann

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kmcg I think Ill pick up some more poster board tomorrow and start with that before I start on the wall. I do think the paint being right beside one another is a big part of the problem. They all look different to me if I cover the other two up. The problem then becomes it too small of a section. Gosh, this is only one room.

Mldao Yeah, if you click on My Page beside my name youll see another link that says send me an email. I REALLY appreciate you doing that! My DH thanks you too. :)

• redbazel
    15 years ago

I know that some people have a very hard time with the idea of splotching paint right on the wall, but I don't really get why? If I am just tinkering with the idea of doing a deep brick DR, then, I just tape chips on the wall. But if I am set on painting my DR and I have eliminated other shades and have already bought test colors in the brick I think I want, then, I know I'm going to paint. So, once you are serious about painting the room, why hesitate to roll it on the wall? You're going to paint it all anyway, right? And if you choose to go for a quart of Northampton Putty, and the N.P. doesn't quite do what you'd hoped, then it provides the impetus to go out and get something that will work. Either way, you're committed. And one thing that is especially true of the muted, more ambiguous colors like N.P..........they really don't start looking good till you have quite a bit of paint on the walls.

Red

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I have to agree with Red and kmcg about painting a larger area directly on the wall. When you live with white walls, painting (any) color can be overwhelming and you need time to adjust to the color and view it in different lights. In addition to painting a large area, I like to paint a section near the trim to see how they accent one another, near the floor area to see how it goes with the floor, next to a window and opposite a window to see how it looks in the different light. It really feels like a positive step in the right direction to do this as once you put color on the wall, you have at least made the decision you are going to paint. When you are evaluating various test chips it is also a good idea to look at them singly against a pure white background (like a piece of paper) so you can get a more accurate feel for the color as when you look at a color next to another they tend to confuse the issue.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red - I think you hit it on the head with "committed". I guess I just know how darn indecisive I am. Ive also been dragging my feet because I wasnt sure if I wanted to paint the trim or not. Its already pre painted white. White is fine with me but dust is sticking to the stop of it and it doesnt want to scrub off right. Its sticking to the caulking? Painting the trim just doesnt sound like fun at all. Painting the ceiling is another thing Ive been debating about. Do I leave it white, same as walls, a little lighter than the walls. My house is just primer right now so I probably should paint the ceiling something. Will it hurt it not to? Will the primer eventually get funny if I dont?

Val I agree that any color is going to be a shock. Looking at the tiny painted sample boards just arent giving it the same effect.

Mldao is sending out samples of like 8 different colors. (Bless her heart.) Hopefully Ill have them sometime early next week and it will help me narrow it down a bit more.

Ill be posting again. Thanks for the nudge guys, I need it.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Two years ago I wanted to paint my home office a soft shade of grey. Used poster board all over the room with various samples. When I was sure of the color, bought the paint, hired a painter as he began painting the wall I realized I didn't like the color. It looked blue.

Long and short, I switched to quarts and had him paint 5 different quarts before I decided on the color. The only way I could see the colors was when a entire wall was painted.

I had lots of left over paint and used it in various closets, laundry room and shelves. It didn't go to waste.

Paint color is very tricky.

Jane

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got my paint samples in the mail yesterday from Mldao! Yay!

I'll have to take more when I have better lighting. I took so many pics last night I quickly realized it was going to be hard to remember what color was what when looking back. Some of my pics I'm unsure. Should've put them in alphabetical order or something. I'll take better ones with lighting and different areas of the room when I get a chance. I probably won't get a real idea until the weekend since it's almost dark when I get leave and get home.

L to R
    Shelburne Buff, Providence Olive, Old Salem Gray, Yorkshire Tan, Hancock Gray
    {{gwi:1852101}}
    {{gwi:1852102}}

I like the Shelburn and wonder if I should have something lighter since the room is north facing and I have a lot of dark colors. However I wonder if it's going to look dirty with my carpet.

The Providence Olive and Old Salem Gray are very similar. One minute I was liking the one better then I liked the opposite. These are the two I'm really having a hard time telling apart on my pics. The Providence Olive looks more gray to me when looking at the couch pic. above.

I like the Yorkshire Tan. It's lighter. Might make a better foyer/hallway color.

Like the Hancock Gray but it's very, very similar to the Olive Branch. I'm afraid it might be too dark?

I think these names are right.

Shelburne
    {{gwi:1852103}}

Providence Olive
    {{gwi:1852104}}

Old Salem Gray
    {{gwi:1852105}}

Yorkshire Tan
    {{gwi:1852106}}

Hancock Gray
    {{gwi:1852107}}

• mldao
    15 years ago

sheesharee,

Can you post a picture of crown point sand and mushroom cream with your furniture? So far I like yorkshire tan and shelburne buff the best with your couch and carpeting. It's hard to tell because of the glare from the flash on your camera. I don't think shelburne buff will make your carpeting look dirty. These two colors have the highest LRV which is good if you don't have a lot of natural light.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mldao - I'll take more tonight with the mushroom cream and crown point sand. I really liked both of them. Somehow they got away from my pile last night and the few pics I took of them didn't turn out.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I think I like Yorkshire Tan the best.

Laurie

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A friend came over last night and was helping me go through all these paint samples. I think because this room hardly sees any natural light the greens may be too dark or look muddy?

Here were the contenders:

Shelburne Buff
    {{gwi:1852108}}
    {{gwi:1852109}}

Crown Point Sand
    {{gwi:1852110}}
    {{gwi:1852111}}

Mushroom Cream
    {{gwi:1852112}}
    {{gwi:1852113}}

mushroom, crown point, shelburne
    {{gwi:1852114}}

crown point, shelburne, mushroom
    {{gwi:1852115}}

I think I like the Shelburne best. I really like it with the dark wood. I have a huge, dark entertainment stand I probably should've sat these in front or near that too.
    Thoughts?

• indygo
    15 years ago

Just from looking at the monitor, I really like the Shelburne. I think it will warm up the room, and you'll be pleased. (Second choice is Mushroom Cream!)
    Good luck!

• bestyears
    15 years ago

We have Hearts of Palm in the upstairs game room. Love the color. I've attached a few pics, but it is looking much lighter on my monitor than IRL. It looks almost like a pale, sagey green on my monitor, but definately has yellow in it. The slipper chair in MLDAO's post is almost identical to our wall color. I was looking for a green that was more than olive but less than lime, and feel very pleased with this.

{{gwi:1852116}}

{{gwi:1852117}}
    {{gwi:1852118}}

Do a search on "Hearts of Palm" because there was a kitchen shown on this forum recently with that color.

• mldao
    15 years ago

I like shelburne buff best followed by mushroom cream. The shelburne buff was mixed by my local benjamin moore dealer. If you decide to go with any of these colors make sure to bring in the sample boards to get a good match. I think the mushroom cream or yorkshire tan would look lovely in your hallway and entry. All of these colors work very well together.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bestyears - Thank you for posting the pic with Hearts of Palm! It is a pretty color but I think it would be too green for my room.

Mldao - As it stands now I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Shelburne. Should I buy the paint and just do it or actually buy a sample and do a large section of wall or poster board? I was honestly just going to do it.

What color should I use on the ceiling? I don't want to keep the walls and ceiling all one. I thought about cutting the paint by like 50% or something. We do want to put crown up at some point. Or should I pick a different more neutral lighter color?

I'm also going to repaint the trim because it was prepainted and dust is sticking to the caulking. (the walls are and ceiling are only primer) Would it be safe to say BM White is just white. Since there's a ton of whites I really didn't want to start experimenting too much with that. Just something else to drive myself bonkers.

Here's a pic of the three above colors. This chair sits straight up from my foyer entrance. The chair fabric is a taupey color. This a whole different thread. I'll have to take pics with the other colors. I do like the Yorkshire in this area as well.

{{gwi:1852119}}

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Please spend a few dollars and buy your quart first. I know I'm a broken record (a messed up DVD--a dropped call--whatever!) but........

Pour it in your paint tray. Pull your chair back from the wall, throw down a drop cloth, Put your roller in the paint, and roll that stuff on your wall. Get a large area done, like the corner you show in your photo above. Wrap your paint around that corner so you can see your play of light. Don't worry about cutting in, you can do that later. Roll almost to the ceiling, as high as you can without your ladder. Roll almost to your trim. Let dry. Check it out at night and in the morning. You will either be excited and jazzed that you need to go buy your gallons, or you will be re-thinking and going to choice #2.

Red

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Red - Ok, ok, ok. :)

The chair above though is in the foyer area. Probably wouldn't be using that same color but I get what you're saying about painting.

This may be a stupid question but is the paint that's mixed up in quart size accurate to the gallon size? I remember hearing somewhere that sometimes they're off a bit?

• tuscangirl
    15 years ago

IF you have a Sherwin Williams store near you they will mix samples of BM colors for you for alot cheaper than a quart... There sample are $5 at SW. I've taken BM color cards to SW and they mix my sample there (if the ACE hardware store doesn't have th BM color I'd like to sample).

• msrose
    15 years ago

Out of the 3 you're looking at now, I definitely like the shelburne buff the best. I can't remember whose picture this is, but I saved it because I thought SB was such a pretty color.

{{gwi:1551678}}

Laurie

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tuscan girl - I do have a SW near me, thanks. Red's saying for me to buy the quart so I can see the color on a pretty large section before totally committing.

msrose - I have that one saved too! I couldn't find too many pics of that color.

I really hope it looks good on the walls. To me, $200ish bucks to paint this room isn't a cheap mistake.

Ceiling color anyone? I'm thinking maybe some type of neutral tone might be best? I was going to cut the wall paint in half but someday when I do change the wall color I don't want to have to repaint the ceiling too. We are going to put crown up at some point.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

For what it's worth...........I've done the SW $5 quart in other brands too. Is it the same? Well, I think that if you are completely set on having the absolutely positively exactly the same not even a hairsbreadth of difference in shade right color...........then, no........mixing in another brand to test the quart will not 100% be accurate. And even from gallon to gallon, when you have your paint mixed, the experts say there can be a tiny smidgeon of difference. That's why they recommend mixing some of your gallons in a larger container to paint.

And here's what I say....If you painted a wall in Ben Moore's Concord Ivory and went back to finish it in a match by Sherwin Wms........you will have a problem. It will look almost the same, but the difference will be visible. If you painted the wall in BM Concord Ivory and went back to 'touch up' a spot you nicked with a chair, but you use a special BM quart that you bought just for touchups, you may even have a slight difference. However, if you are thinking that a quart of paint mixed to try will give you a WAY big difference from how that paint will look on your walls...........then, no. It is going to look like your test quart. And even a $5 test qt. from SW will probably tell you what you need to know if you really put that paint on the wall...........don't skimp. Use it up.

Red

• mdc08
    15 years ago

We are painting our Greatroom and foyer BM Cork- has a gold tone to it. But, I love color! :) THought of a color with golden undertones?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mdc - Do you have your room painted that color yet? I haven't looked at that one.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor