SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauly_2007

interior color (??)... great big ball of sun ((( help ))) !

pauly_2007
16 years ago

I must say, I am new to the "Garden Web". I am having a bit of trouble with my color selections. Here it all goes....

My husband and I are building a home. This is the first time we build a home from scratch. The home is finally at the stage of selecting an exterior color. We have decided with SW Golden Fleece for the exterior color & all the exterior trim (coins,sills & pillars) to be SW Believable Buff. Now here is my trouble, the INTERIOR!

This home is 3,000 sq ft of living space. Our goal for the interior was to match our porcelain tile, which leans toward a natural travertine color. From the SW color chart it looked as thou SW Compatible Cream would match (looked like a beige-y cream color to us). Turns out CCream is indeed yellow. Not only do we have yellow walls but, our builder failed to mention that the ceiling would also be painted same color as the walls (according to him, that is "standard"). We were expecting a white ceiling to be "standard". So, when you walk into the home, it's like walking into a great big ball of sun. We like the color... it's pretty, in fact yellow is my favorite color but NOT everywhere!

I am now left with having to figure out how to tone down all the yellow in the home. My husband really likes this yellow. He suggested that we put up an off white crown molding to separate the ceiling from the walls. In addition to that, he suggested to paint ONE wall in each room a more bold striking color. For example: Dining room to have one wall a red color (BM Rasberry Truffle or BM Cranberry Zing). Great room to have a "coffee with cream" type of color on ONE wall. Master room to have a soft "sage" color on one wall. etc..etc. I am trying to avoid my interior home from looking like a rainbow.

I am in hopes that you ALL would be able to help me out here. I am bitter toward the builder and I really do not want to give him the pleasure of charging me "extra" for changing the interior color . Therefore, I am trying to figure & fix it on my own. Any advise... HELP!?? Tomorrow, I am going to post some pictures up so you can get a better idea of what this home looks like now. (((( HELP ))))! --TY

Comments (15)