SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rt_peasant

Big healthy plants for great tasting tomatoes?

rt_peasant
10 years ago

I've been reading various articles all over the net about how to grow great tasting tomatoes. The almost universal advice is that big, healthy plants grow better tasting tomatoes, due to increased sugar-producing foliage. The other bit of advice is to have rich soil with lots of organic matter. In my experience (6 yrs growing tomatoes, so still a newbie), the exact opposite is true. I've grown the best tasting tomatoes on the most undersized, malnourished tomato plants, and grown in the worst soil. These plants produce just a handful of undersized tomatoes, but they have much more concentrated flavor.

One such plant was an extra Big Beef seedling that I planted in hard-packed clay in an empty dirt lot next door. I watered it a couple times with Miracle Gro to get it started, then I basically abandoned it all year. It grew a couple feet tall and produced only 2 tomatoes, but the flavor blew away the tomatoes on the big, healthy Big Beef vines in my rich garden soil. A similar thing happened with some leftover seedlings for Park's Fabulous that I planted in a neighbor's garden. Their "planter's mix" soil turned out to be more like concrete mix. Their anemic tomato plants produced just a dozen or so golf ball-sized tomatoes, but they were amazingly flavorful, vs my prolific plants covered with big, bland tomatoes! I've had similar results with tomatoes in 5-gallon containers - undersized plants, undersized tomatoes, but big flavor.

One final anecdote - for the last 4 years, Cherokee Purple has been the best tomato in my garden. This past year, I set out my CP around the first of May under a portable cold frame. It easily outgrew the other tomatoes that were put out around Memorial Day. It grew into a massive plant, and produced over 50 tomatoes, which is good for a CP. But they were all as bland as can be! Nothing but spitters! The Rutgers Select that was also put out at the same time in the cold frame grew even bigger and produced over 200 tomatoes, but not a single one had any flavor. Meanwhile the Brandy Boys and NAR, planted in the same garden just a few feet away, grew much smaller plants but had very flavorful tomatoes. FWIW, all of the tomatoes received the same amount of water until they started setting fruit, then I turned off the irrigation for the rest of the summer.

Have other people experienced something similar, or is there something strange going on in my garden? I have a few theories, but I'd like to hear what other people think first.

-Mark

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21