SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Two antler chandeliers in a home too much of a good thing?

juddgirl2
16 years ago

I have a beautiful antler chandlier hanging in my great room. It's very large - triple tier and at least 3-4' wide.

We are now adding on a large foyer (12' x 20'), which will be the room just before you enter the great room and living room area. A designer I"m working with suggested using an antler chandelier in the foyer also - just on a much smaller scale. It would definitely match the rustic style of the house and new double entry doors and add that something special to the foyer, but do you think having two antler chandliers towards the front of a house is just too much?

I can't use the great room chandelier in the new foyer because of its size. Upon entering the house, you probably wouldn't see much, if any, of the chandelier in the great room because of the ceiling height differences and partial wall separation.

The first photo is my existing chandelier and the next two are ones that I'm considering for the foyer.

Comments (35)

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, I think it would be too much.

• prairiefox
    16 years ago

I certainly do not see how these are offensive. Antlers fall off the animals naturally. However, it would be hard to say how these would look. Could you post a picture of your decor and maybe the foyer? I do like the second one a shade better than the third picture.

• Related Discussions

Too much of a good thing!

Q

Comments (11)
    There is a good reason why discussion of pee leads to poop. Just think about the proximity of the human anatomical structures. Hot compost should kill any E. coli present. But is that part of the pile hot enough? Are you going to measure the temp in that spot? Good move, now your compost thermometer is contaminated... You pick up a trowel that you left on the ground, then your kid touches it, sticks his fingers up his nose, and he has ingested the organism. There is a reason why common hygiene dictates that you wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Used toilet paper??? Not in my house or yard. I have been a nurse for 34 years, and an anesthetist for 30. I do know something about germs. I know compost wackos argue that urine is sterile, but I can tell you that it is not. Almost every "sterile specimen" contains bacteria when seen under a microscope. What do you think the most likely source might be? Doesn't take Einstein to figure it out. Unless the specimen is obtained by catheterization, most contain some E. coli. How do you think E. coli outbreaks occur? Most of them probably result from individuals who fail to practice common good hygiene. I know that many people pee in their compost all the time without incident. But your luck can run out any time. I you don't practice good personal hygiene and teach your children to do the same you are doing a disservice to yourself and your family, not to mention the community at large. I'm really not a complete germaphobe. I compost, growing beautiful fungal colonies in there. But I don't use human or animal waste. Karen
    ...See More

How much is too much of a good thing? pic

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you all for your opinions. I especially love that you confirmed it would be okay. Don't think I can have too much of that fabric...it's a soft rayon blend chenille. Thanks for the ideas about pillows, too. Will be fun to look for coordinating fabric. If you run across any in your searches, please think of me. Olychick
    ...See More

Too much of a good thing?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input! What do you think about just doing the soffit in the beadboard and a tile as the backsplash? If you think to do both the bead board would be too much. I guess I thought that it would actually look more uniform. I'm sorry I don't have a pircture. My house is a brick rancher with U shaped kitchen that is open with the dining room.
    ...See More

Too much of a good thing?

Q

Comments (32)
    I really do need the extra storage! I think if it's 42" from the sink that it will greatly enhance my work zone adding so much additional counter space. I would only put stools where the one is in the photo and where the window is, so out of the work zone. Where that stool is now would be a 36" cabinet that I could store items that are used infrequently. The sink side would be for the kitchen aid, vitamix, cuisinart, juicer and cutting boards etc. My cabinets are still in really good condition and are maple. I thought staining them dark would be too much darkness so my only other option is to paint them or replace them. My budget is only $20,000 so don't think replacement is possible.
    ...See More
  • rabbit_house
    16 years ago

Juddgirl,

I think you'd do a lot better using a totally different look or texture to keep your chandelier unique. You might find something you like from Hubbardton Forge to stay with the natural materials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foyer Pendants from Hubbardton Forge

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

JuddGirl, I agree with RabbitHouse -- to keep the uniqueness of your foyer chandelier and choose something that will complement but not replicate it :) Of the two others you posted, I like the second one on the purple background.

• noodlesportland
    16 years ago

I think going with something complimentary but not the same will give more balance to your home-the idea of a wrought iron--so you keep the "weight" similiar--would work well.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - I logged on just hoping to have a response or two! Thanks to all of you who answered my question and suggested a different style chandelier as more than one may diminish the uniqueness of our existing chandelier. My dh and I were actually thinking the same thing, but questioned our gut instinct when the designer suggested more than once we should go with a similar one in the new foyer.

No pictures of the foyer yet because the footings are just being poured for the new addition, but the exterior/interior style of our home is very rustic. Lots of stonework and wood beams, etc. It came that way to us and we're staying true to the style with our remodel. Since we have horse property and are in a rural, wooded area (a small pocket in the middle of SoCal), it works.

Although my personal style doesn't include hanging mounted deer heads on the walls, I do love my chandelier - imported from Canada. I've wanted one ever since I saw a smaller scale one over a dining room table in a beautifully decorated home, which actually wasn't even rustic. Mine is made from real antlers, as I don't like the look of the faux antler chandeliers, but no animals were harmed in its making ;)

I actually receive many compliments on it, and those who may not like it I suppose are polite enough not to say so. To each their own :) Thanks again for the advice, and if anyone has other sites to suggest where I may find complementary chandeliers, I'd appreciate the information.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

juddgirl, I am sorry to hijack your post above. On your post question...I agree with noodlesportland. Something different but complimentary. I like your chandelier. Very fun.

I think if you have an antler chandelier in the entry, it will take away the uniqueness of the chandelier in your great room.

• pfmastin
    16 years ago

I think the chandelier is fabulous. I agree that something different but complementary would be a good choice....perhaps something metal in an organic shape?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the idea of a metal for the chandelier, as our entry doors, sidelights and transom all have ironwork in the design. Also, I plan on using sconces on the walls and can coordinate these with the chandelier. This was my initial plan, but it's nice to have it validated. Thanks so much!

p.s. I have to admit that even I thought the purple background on the third photo made the chandelier appear a little gaudy!! These things are not cheap - their marketing dept. could have done a little better job in showcasing the piece :)

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Sorry, juddgirl. We were posting at the same time.

How about this one? It is called Rustic Pine. I found it on the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: rustic chandeliers

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Something like that would look great with the foyer one and all the stone and beams! 'Aspen,' conjures up amazing imagery!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kitchenkelly - thanks so much for the link. With the exception of the shades, that's a very nice chandelier, although (and I know it probably sounds strange coming from the "antler" lady!) most of the chandeliers labeled "rustic" don't really appeal to me. I'm not into the bear and moose silhouette cutouts or threaded shades, kwim? I may go that direction if I had a lodge style home or maybe a fun vacation cabin, but my furnishings are actually more eclectic - english country, traditional, and rustic all mixed in. I should probably make up my mind!

I do very much like the beautiful iron lighting throughout the rest of the site, and also in the one that rabbit house posted, so I'm definitely going to look closer at both sites to see if I find something that works.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

Well, I'll be the odd man out and say I think having another antler fixture in the entry would be fine. You said the LR fixture isn't visible from the entry so I doubt visitors are going to stand there and comment on the fact that you have two.

TBH, unless we're shopping for chandeliers, or is in someone's home long enough to sit back and take in all the rooms, how many of us actually remember what chandeliers were where?

Last year there was a home on the Street of Dreams tour that had a huge antler chandelier in the LR. I believe there was another one in the entry, but because of how one entered the home the LR chandelier was the focal point. I wish I had taken a pic of it..........I believe it had some ironwork mixed in with it and I want to think each light was covered with a type of shade.

Have you considered using a different type antler for the entry?

Here is a link that might be useful: antlers

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

Juddgirl - Am going to waffle here and say that I can see either choice being fine, the antlers working especially if the chandy in the foyer is not visible from the living room. But iron or black metal would also look both rustic and eclectic.

To those unfamiliar with the general source of antlers used for decoration: Every year huge numbers of antlers are shed by the deer and elk herds in our national parks, and are often collected, as a matter of policy, by the rangers. In Grand Teton National Park, e.g., there is an Elk Reserve which "shelters" and feeds hundreds to thousands of elk during the difficult winters there. Their antlers are collected by the rangers and the following summer, are sold at auction during a great festival. Good racks bring in excellent prices, and the proceeds go to maintaining and protecting the wildlife of the area. The town square in the center of Jackson is decorated with four arches made from such antlers.

Georgia O'Keeffe's stunning paintings are filled with the skulls and horns of western animals. Surely that does not make her less of an artist?

FWIW, Juddgirl, I too prefer the second chandy.

• OKMoreh
    16 years ago

most of the chandeliers labeled "rustic" don't really appeal to me. I'm not into the bear and moose silhouette cutouts

I would feel the same way. It's like choosing wallpaper or curtains for a room decorated in American Colonial style -- the stores will show you paper or fabric with pictures of colonial tchotchkes on it, but what you really want are designs similar to those that might have been used in the colonial period.

I think you might like some of the current fixtures with an "oxidized" iron finish - i.e., an imitation of rusted iron. The rust finish gives them an aged or primitive quality, but some of the designs are sophisticated. Quite a few of them are on sale at Lamps Plus, which is where I got one for my MCM (!) dining room (but mine didn't go on sale).

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I don't think using two antler chandeliers is necessarily wrong, but these two are too similar. If the one for the entry had a variety of materials, not exclusively antlers, then I think having the two would work better. Otherwise, it diminishes the impact of the main one. Sounds like Arte de Mexico may be within striking distance of your home. They have all sorts of antler chandeliers as well as other eclectic styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arte de Mexico

• littledog
    16 years ago

"It's like choosing wallpaper or curtains for a room decorated in American Colonial style -- the stores will show you paper or fabric with pictures of colonial tchotchkes on it, but what you really want are designs similar to those that might have been used in the colonial period."

Not to hijack, but okmoreh, you've nailed it. I'm not a fan self refrential decorating items either; no pictures of spinning wheels and Betsy Ross flags printed on the drapes masquerading as Early American, and spare me the cutsey pootsey bathtub pictures over the toilet. I've been exposed to all the modern conveniences, I realize it's a bathroom. Really, you don't have to "draw me a picture". ;^)

• mauimere
    16 years ago

I think using the other that you are looking at are fine. I see post after post of people that have to similar style chandeliers - one small, one big - in their home. I think in the right home - they would be stunning. If you really look at them they really are a great piece of sculpture.

• uxorial
    16 years ago

Juddgirl--I live in a log home, so it's naturally very rustic. The original lights above the kitchen island and dining table looked like this:

{{gwi:1850071}}

We changed the one above the dining table to this:

We have other lamps with the same design above the kitchen sink and island, and we have sconces on the ceiling beams.

I like the way they look--somewhat rustic/colonial but not as "unusual" as the horse/ox contraptions we had. (I still have them if you're interested!) This series of lights is available in bronze or satin nickel.

Here is a link that might be useful: my chandelier

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I like your antler chandelier, but I think one is enough. Otherwise, it is like anything else unique - one is unique, two makes it look like you caught them on sale.

I am sure you will find something complimentary to use with it but I do like it, and by the way, deer are not an endangered species. They are way, way, way too over-populated. Even the environmentalists recognize that.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Well, this thread is certainly covering a lot of ground! I am glad to know, because I somehow didn't, that these antlers are often just shed.

• southernheart
    16 years ago

Yes, they are shed every late winter/early spring. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about the shedding of antlers

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Now, if only we could figure out the perfect decorative use for shed cat and dog hair!

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

Jen, that would be backsplashes. There was a hilarious thread a few years back on the kitchen forum about the latest and greatest "had to haves" for the kitchen; you know, the Wolf range, the granite, the maple cabs....all so pedestrian. What would be the next big thing?

Dog-hair backsplashes.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Hahahaha!

Well ... I've got cat hair baseboards! Is that a good start?

• southernheart
    16 years ago

I like dog hair carpets, too. ;-)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for the great responses.

bobo - I wish I had pictures! The great room is chock full of items we're storing due to the remodel, so that won't help, but the existing chandy is over a very nice mahogany pool table. The layout of the front entry is loosely based on my inspiration photo below (which is more country, I know, but it's what I love). Our entry will be wider, and will have double front doors almost exactly like the pic posted below except they will also have a 10' wide custom transom above the doors and sidelights, and will be stained a deep, warm brown. These doors are very rustic, but fit the exterior of the house perfectly. I plan on using a hutch, grandfather clock, etc., in the space (and maybe even the stacked oval boxes, if I can get away with it). The floors will either be wood as in the pic or similar to the stone in our kitchen, also shown below. The arch between the entry and great room may have pillars and a beam in the same stain as the front door.

Uxorial - I really like your chandelier and love your log home!

Auntjen - your antler chandelier is obviously very special, since your father made it for you. I'd love to see it.

kitchendetective - Arte de Mexico has a store very close by and they do have wonderful items. Their furniture is beautiful although perhaps a bit more rustic than the style I'm looking for (I'm more of a country farm table and hutch person), I did notice they had great lighting choices. It's been awhile so I'll have to visit the store again.

littledog and okmoreh - you said exactly what I meant to say! I want my home to be decorated in the style my dh and I find appealing - elegant rustic meets early American country (he's the rustic and I'm the country!) but don't necessarily want to decorate in objects that labeled a definitive style. It's easy to cross the line and get "campy" with rustic decorating - which can be fun but not the look I'm aiming for :) I do find antler chandeliers done right to be beautiful pieces of sculpture, so hopefully I'm on the right track!

To those of you who commented on Premier's statement - I wasn't offended in the slightest as reading his/her comments on other posts over the last few months caused me to immediately disregard his/her post on this thread!

Inspiration photo for furniture layout

Entry doors

Possible flooring

• cattknap
    16 years ago

I'm completely and totally not offended. I would keep one antler chandelier and do something else for the second one...something metal.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

They were making gloves, scarves, etc., from cat and dog hair not too long ago. Forget what/where I saw something, or how it is collected. I seem to remember it as a pet owner thing, no one harmed in its making :)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm not sure this is the look I'm searching for, but this chandelier is shown in the summer issue of Beautiful Homes - very unique and there's a great table lamp to match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ochre Light Fixtures

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Just wondering if you saw the enormous one on tonight's episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition?

It looked amazing!

The munchkins didn't let me watch it through so I didn't see if there happened to be more than one in the home, lol, but I thought of this thread immediately.

(As a side note, the bits I saw of tonight's home were gorgeous. Last week's (atleast I think it was last week's)was my all time favorite, but the little I saw of this one looked really nice.)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks hollybc - I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later, but I'll definitely post pics of the finished rooms as soon as we finish the remodel. Can't wait!

acoreana - I'll be sure to watch Extreme Makeover tonight. I usually miss it because it's the munchkin's bedtime, but I can record it. Thanks!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Squirrel, I need that number for the selling of cat and dog fur.

I know this makes me sound like a terrible housekeeper but my housekeeper was here Friday. She totally takes everything off the vanities and cleans them. Today, we had to take down all the accoutrements because I have decided to change the color of bathroom.

Our Persian things the vanity is his. No one has ever told him different so like cats who think they own us, he thinks that is his "house, his room, his nap place." Around the perimeter, the granite did not look absolute black, it looked absolute gray from the blue persian. I had handfuls of hair. Unbelievable. DH said "He is going for another grooming Tuesday." He just went in 2 weeks ago for a haircut but granted, weather is getting cooler and he is getting rid of his summer wear for a new winter coat.

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I love the deer antler chandeliers, they are unique as well as beautiful.
    We have several antler sheds around our pond, the squirrels use them to sharpen their teeth, so they serve a multi purpose.
    Joann

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'd do a second antler chandelier in the foyer. I think it flows well and it's a statement when someone enters the home. I think you can go either way (something metal etc) but personally I'd do another antler chandelier in a heartbeat.