SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makeithome_gw

How to paint and decorate a small and awkward room

makeithome
13 years ago

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster :)You all give such awesome advice, and I love getting to look into all of your beautiful homes. I look forward to visiting here often!

My husband and I are waiting to close on our first home. I am hoping we get the clear to close any day now.

This house we are buying is loaded with charm, and cute little nooks and crannies- which I love. But, the layout is a little strange. In particular, I am totally torn up over the living room. It's such a weird space because it has a door and a window leading out into the sun room - which is very long and narrow.

For furniture arrangement, I was thinking one sofa against the left hand wall (in the first picture below) one chair against the staircase, and another sitting across from the sofa, with a round glass coffee table in the center... but I don't know. What do you all think?

Do you think I should paint the sun room the same color as the living room to make them blend together more? As you can see, the current owners have the sun room a light cream color, and the living room is a sage green, and I personally feel like it draws attention to the discontinuity.

I'm looking for any input on how to tie these two rooms together more, and how to arrange furniture. We need to buy all new furniture, so the pieces are really open game. Below, I am posting 2 pictures of the living room, and a picture of the sun room. As a disclaimer, I will tell you that these pictures came from the MLS and are therefore credited to the selling agent. And the current owner's style... definitely not our style. The entire home is currently done in a "country" theme, and we are definitely transitional to borderline contemporary.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Littlemoonrabbit/Our%20House%20MLS%20Pics/livingroom.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Littlemoonrabbit/Our%20House%20MLS%20Pics/livingroomotherside.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/Littlemoonrabbit/Our%20House%20MLS%20Pics/sunroom.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (27)

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Congrats on your new home! Here are your pics to make it easier for people to visualize.

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oops, I am sorry they didn't post. Did I copy the wrong script from photo bucket? Lol, I haven't posted to a forum in a long time. Sorry!

• Related Discussions

How to make it not feel like someone else's house

Q

Comments (54)
    Here's my advice: 1. Start with paint. If you have a room that is not going to require a total redecoration, paint it. It's the least expensive way for big impact. 2. If you have a few rooms that you want to redecorate, like I do, pick a room. Start creating your design board or design album. It should help you put things together visually to get a sense of the feeling of the room. Once you get your design fairly solid, paint! 3. It's OK if some rooms that are not used a frequently remain a work in progress, but rooms that you use often try to finish. Living in unfinished rooms causes me anxiety! 4. Use this site. The people here are so helpful. They give you design advice, color advice, recommend cheaper options, etc. Here's some pix/links to give you an idea: My reading room, which is still in progress Kitchen Re-do. We did it ourselves. Well, everything but the back slash and granite. Total out of pocket $7250 Kitchen design album - these were just pictures that I would save for ideas http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Other/Home-design/12883677_n2q52#936728932_3mfPf Here's the Kitchen in Progress http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Other/Kitchen-in-Progress/12963085_mDSZn#967564981_Zspyi Here's the finished Kitchen http://partypooper.smugmug.com/Family/finsishedkitchen/13429183_MMPGm#977299982_5RsyH Paint does wonders! Dining Room before - yep it was a pink living room: Dining room now: Deck before Deck after Hearth room before Hearth room after but before the kitchen redo.
    ...See More

wall decor with awkward corner in living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Remove the mirror from the room, not a good place for it either there or above the piano. The clock doesn't look right on the piano either. Maybe a framed piece of art above the piano coupled with a small lamp atop it to the side, you could perhaps incorporate the clock into the decor with something else. I think I'd ignore the corner and concentrate on decor for the media console & piano. Not too many little things , a few large objects so it won't look cluttered. Google online "decorating piano tops" for ideas. Good luck :)
    ...See More

Help! How to decorate small combo dining room/living room...

Q

Comments (2)
    Do you own or is this a rental? The pix look a little stretched like realty ones. Since there is a rad between the doors, forget putting TV there. I'd keep the dining close to the kitchen and put the sitting/TV area to focus on the long wall. Start with the fun project of finding a knockout chandelier to hang from that pretty ceiling. Is there a fridge under the microwave? I see only one wall outlet behind the door and one above the counter, so you'll have to use extension cords and cord covers along the baseboards to have enough lighting here. Consider floating your sofa facing the long wall and TV. Then use a drop leaf table behind it for dining. You'll be able to open it all the way for entertaining. Anchor your seating area with a rug 2-3 feet wider than your sofa.
    ...See More

How to decorate a small family room with a staircase and large window

Q

Comments (2)
    These are the 3 sides of my family room, taken from my staircase
    ...See More
  • still_lynnski
    13 years ago

Nice house! And congratulations!

Many people here will suggest that you live in the house for a while to see how it works for you and how you use the various spaces before making big decisions. That's hard advice to follow! I suggest that while holding yourself back, you read every single page and project on young house love (dot) com. They are genius at what they do, and you can learn an amazing amount about color and continuity and style on their site.

You can get really terrific advice here about specific questions. At YHL you can school yourself at a fundamental level, so that you'll have good underlying reasons for all the thousands of house-related decisions you'll be making now and into the future.

Gawd I sound old. Anyway, enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: (no, I'm not a relative)

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

makeit

Congrats on your new home, it does look charm loaded -

I'm betting the sunroom was an addition at one point and the house ended with LR, hence the reason for the window in that location.

Yes, many, if not most would highly recommend you live in the home awhile before major changes - get the feel for how you live, what rooms you utilize and how.

I see LOTS of natural light which I love.

The window can be an easy fix - but it will cut down on the natural light streaming into the room -

Removing the trim, add some 2x4's and dry wall,paint or:
    A built in or the likes - think Ikea type boxes - & Have them installed to look built in - slim profile, ending about the middle of the window - then you could dry wall the top portion - Or you could find a thrift stain glass piece to fit that opening, remove the existing sashes & install.
    That would also give you some wall space in the eating area

Have you peaked under that carpet - what a nice find if there were hardwoods under there!

I agree w/the strong contrast in colors - seems the PO has similar contrast with the DR/stark white stair entry/green LR

The good news about paint is it is relatively easy to change out the existing palette & put your own mark -
    Since the trim seems to be all white, I would paint the slider frame white to provide cohesive look there.

The home is charming & looks well cared for

Best to you

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Still_lynnski - It's funny you mention YHL. I have been following their blog for over a year now and have probably read every single project post they have, lol. I love their blog, along with a couple others: centsational girl, thrifty decor chick, and even though the style doesn't match my taste, the lettered cottage. Overall, I probably have a total of 25 design blogs in my reader, but they are my faves. I am glad to find someone with similar tastes! :)

I do agree with both of you that living in the house for a while will help us figure out how we'd best utilize the space. However, at the very least, I think I am going to need to throw some new paint on those walls, lol. The yellow and the green are just so jarring.

jejvtr - I am so glad you noticed all the natural light. That is, by far, my favorite thing about this house.

I love your idea about adding in shelving. I could also totally see replacing the plain window with something a little more decorative. I don't know if I would go stained glass, but I could totally see some kind of decorative beveled glass piece like this:

http://www.stainedglassandmore.com/Whimsical%20Windsong%20Beveled%20Glass%20Window.htm

We are very lucky in that this home was so well cared for. It may not be our style, but the sellers definitely loved this home. You can practically feel the love when you walk in the door... and that's what made us choose it.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Will you want your TV in the living room, or sun room, or both? (we are big TV people at my house)

Does the table area behind the sunroom open into the kitchen area? Or is it a dead end?

One thing I can say from living in a house the age of your house is that most furniture is TOO BIG when you get it home. Be very careful of that. It is helpful to have smaller arms and have visible legs on couches and stuffed chairs.

Does the LR or sunroom have overhead lighting, or is it all lit by lamps at night?

For some entry priced furniture, take a look at World Market. They have a lot of pieces that are scaled well. Even if you don't buy there, it is a good use of time to see their size of furniture so you understand how huge everything else can be.

Best of luck and have fun. Congratulations.

• les917
    13 years ago

I would have the window enlarged into another opening to match the doorway on the right. I think it will make the LR feel more open and connected to the other rooms. I would remove the door from that doorway, tho - I think it will then feel more like an opening between rooms, rather than a doorway to an addition.

As for furniture, I think it depends in part on how you plan to live in the space. How many people need to be able to sit in the LR or sunroom to watch tv? Do you entertain a lot?

I could see a loveseat on the long wall, a pair of chairs on the stair wall. Table between the chairs with a lamp, a floor lamp on the right end of the loveseat. A coffee table that is small and mostly glass, perhaps like this from PB:

tanner coffee table

A pair of small upholstered benches under the front windows would give more seating if needed.

Although I think your fireplace is charming, I am not as crazy about the brick itself. You might consider painting the brick two shades darker than whatever wall color you pick, and then paint the mantel the trim white.

I would definitely paint the stairway walls, living room and sunroom the same color. It will give some continuity, tho the changing light between the rooms will keep the paint looking different in each space. A soft, warm neutral on the walls would show off the architecture, and then the color could come from your furnishings and art.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Great suggestions so far...I agree need to get moved in, live in the space for a while and explore different options. Les917's suggestions are right on. It would also be good to see pictures of your furniture in the home.

Congratulations on your first home. :-)

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

juliekcmo- We have talked at length about where to put the TV, and we're really not sure. This house does have a partially finished basement with a bar, so I was thinking that could be the game room/family room with a nice flat screen TV on the wall. I don't think I would want the tv in the sunroom due to all the glare, and putting it in the living room... I'm not sure where it would go unless it was mounted above the fireplace, which seems a little high for how close the sofa is going to be. But, maybe I am wrong?

Yes, the sun room does open into the kitchen on the other side... which kind of makes the sun room feel more like a hallway to me. Not sure how to prevent that. I was actually thinking of hanging curtains on either side of the large opening between the two sunroom sections so they would feel more like 2 rooms (a library and a breakfast room) but my hubby feels that curtains will look too cheesy.

We have not enetertained much in the past... but that was mostly because we had nothing but a small apartment. Once we get settled into the house, I would LOVE to entertain... so I will need to find an arrangement that allows people to mingle.

Les- I had thought about enlarging the window into another door, but I wasn't sure how that would work with the fireplace, or how it would make the sunroom itself feel. However, I would certainly consider it if it was possible. That would definitely make the spaces feel more cohesive.

Thanks for the link to the tanner coffee table. I always loved that table. But, I am concerned that the table itself may be too big, which is why I was thinking circular. But, it is a beauty and if I find that the room can handle it, I would definitely consider it, or something like it, an option.

I find your idea about the brick interesting, only because I was thinking of painting it white and then adding a white mantle. Too much white, you think?

And for color... would have definitely painted the stairwell too. I kind of had my heart set on a light gray-blue and a beige in the dining room... but your comment about a warm neutral makes me worried about my choice. I am definitely looking for suggestions on color... my only concern is having one of those houses where every wall is beige. I like light, I like fresh... I want my rooms to be cohesive. But, I also want color that inspires me. Thoughts?

Vampiress- thanks for the encouragement. I agree, these suggestions are awesome!

Thanks so much for your advice so far... I am loving all the ideas!!!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I'm just peeking into the topic while I'm drinking my coffee. All I can say is WOW, what a charming home as was said by jej above!

You lucked out! You'll have a blast decorating a house like that. I'm jealous. :)

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Great advice from everyone. I'm from the corner that also says move in first and get a feel for your space and your needs. Don't rush into buying furniture yet.

I can understand you wanting to put your stamp somewhere quickly and I think you are on the right track with paint. Since you don't know what your furnishings will be yet, I would suggest something like BM White Dove for the walls. It's a easy color to transition from if you decide to repaint a color later down the road.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

I'm wondering where you live and what your heating needs are. Does the FP work? Will you make fires in it? Is the chimney liner safe, and is it heavy enough that you could put in a woodstove? There are woodstoves available with glass on both sides, enabling you to enjoy the fire from the sunroom or the livingroom side.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the sunroom itself. Does it have its own roof, or is it sheltered under the house roof? Is it insulated? What it would take to insulate the sunroom so that it could be connected to the living room space? Would you be interested in combining those two spaces so they actually function as one space, or do you just want them to flow more at a visual level?

What a fantastic house. You can see that a lot of people are already excited about it!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Congratulations!! :)

Well -- I vote for the doorway. BUT -- for NOW -- remove the moulding around the window. Cover the window with foam (to maintain HVAC integrity) and then stand a large basic white bookshelf (from Target etc.) On each side of the window. That will allow you to make some use of that wall space -- for now!

Paint over the whole fireplace in white. If you want to keep the doors -- which DO help with HVAC costs -- then paint those with black fireplace/barbecue paint.

Add a small sectional to the corner with an ottoman for a coffee table.

Paint ALL of the mouldings in fresh white. And yes -- paint the rooms in the same color -- basic white -- and add color with accessories. Keep "moving" accents around the whole area. For example -- modern clean-lined silver or black accessories -- in all of the areas.

Just some thoughts!

Jan at rosemary Cottage

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oakleyok - Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I am so happy to hear that so many people think it's as lovely as I do!

Jersey girl - Yes, I am dying to put my stamp on it. But, my husband is very adamant that he only wants to paint each room once. I am totally dying to go light gray-blue in the room, but I will probably try to sit on it for a little bit to get a feel for the space, then pick out some furniture that we really love, and then pick out some paint to match, lol.

Still-lynnski- As far as I know, the fireplace works and I would love to have fires in it. The sun room has its own roof. Below, I will include a picture of the exterior. The sun room is to the right, matching the garage on the left. I personally find the exterior to be equally as charming as the exterior. The sun room is insulated and it has heat running to it. I do think I want to keep them their own space (there's something so cozy about the idea of reading in that sun room, away from everything else) but I am not opposed to opening it up in the future (when/if we have more money) to make the space more functional.

teacats- Thanks for your suggestions. I find them intriguing. For some reason I hadn't really considered a sectional in there (though my husband insists that he did suggest it)... but I am thinking about it now thanks to your suggestion. As far as space and seating go, it would probably be the most functional way to go. My only issue is that almost all the sectionals I see are giant, overstuffed and clunky looking, IMHO. But, maybe I will have to do some research to see if I can find a sectional that combines style and function.

Here is a picture of our-hopefully-soon-to-be home's exterior:

And for reference, here are a couple design photos that inspire me and fit my personal style:

I am pretty sure I got this one below from somewhere on this site. If it's your house, I love it:

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I have a suggestion for helping on paint selection.

1-stick to benjamin moore historic colors. It makes it so much easier to pick if you aren't looking at 1000 choices. (my painter's advice)

2-The benjamin moore website has a interactive that lets you paint different choices in actual rooms and see how they look. I find this very helpful in seeing how one room looks next to the adjacent room.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

What a beautiful home.

I think that painting before you move in would be nice. I think you're right in that the colours clash a little. It's not going to hurt at all to pick a colour and paint them how you see fit. If hubby doesn't want to paint again, then I guess you get a paintbrush and roller out and do it again if you want LOL.

Anyhow, it's difficult to see exactly what is going on in your house. Do you have two dining rooms? Or is it a morning room and then a formal dining room?

It's hard to see. Is that a formal dining room at the front of the house directly across from the living room and stairs?

I ask because sometimes it is helpful to be "unorthodox" and think outside the box in old homes.

For example, our house was built in 1910, near the end of the Victorian period. It has 4 main rooms on the first floor - kitchen, Dining room, Parlor, and what once would have been either a library or sitting room.

We actually used our dining room as our family room because it is so large, and right by the kitchen (18x14). The parlor is our parlor, and the library/sitting room is housing our dining set.

So, that is one way to go when thinking about where to put the TV.

Also, once you've lived in the house for a little bit, the place to put the TV will "sing out" to you. There will be a place. It may not be perfect but it will fit. Definitely not above the fireplace though - it will be far too high.

I've never liked the idea of finished basements in general - I feel like I'm sitting in a gussied up cave or something.

I can udnerstand the frustration though - if we would have used our parlor as our living room, we would have had to make some tough choices.

I've never used BM, but I personally have had the best luck with Behr Ultra Premium Plus both in terms of color and quality. The colours tend to be very rich and delightful, which is to my taste. Not too many "thin" and frail pastels.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Your home is charming!
    Sending best wishes for a happy new home, can't wait to see what you end up doing!

• makeithome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Julie- Thanks for the advice. I am sure historical colors will probably be the shades that appeal to me most, so that's great advice. Thanks!

Krycek-

I drew a quick little diagram in paint to show you the current set up. The rooms aren't to scale or anything, but it gives you an idea of how the rooms flow. We had considered repurposing the rooms at one point... making the dining room the living room and the office the dining room, but the last time we went to go measure the office we figured it was way too small to fit a table. If you have any suggestions on how to repurpose rooms after seeing my diagram, please share! I am open to ideas :)

Hmm, after looking at this diagram, I don't know what I was thinking, lol. Please imagine the half bath extending all the way to the line that's to the left of it! Just now I was like... we don't have an alcove next to the half bath...

Loribee- thanks! :)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Here's the page from Pottery Barn with details on their sectionals ..... JUST for measurements and ideas ....

And do check your local listings on Craigs List -- you never know what kinds of items might pop up at great prices! :)

Remember -- the first rule is "Measure, Measure, Measure and Write it ALL down" LOL!! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: PB sectionals -- for measurements and ideas

• teacats
    13 years ago

After looking at the house plan -- I wonder if (at a far FAR future date! LOL!) you could knock through the back wall (add a beam to maintain structural integrity) of the present living room.

And create an opening to the office/breakfast room area -- and make it all one larger space -- with French doors leading from the (present) back office wall to a large deck/patio.

THEN move the "home office" area to the sunroom space.

Just some wild thoughts ......

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• cshagw2009
    13 years ago

I just love your new home. Since, I love the country charm, the two rooms look good together. It looks so quaint. Anyway, you have other likes so if you want to paint the two rooms the same color this would look great also. I would also put just a chair and little table by the stairs since this is a small area, and sofa on the other wall. Just take your time and everything will fall into place. Congrats, and enjoy your new home.

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

What an adorable little house. Lots of character.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

There are several things you can do with the rooms.

You could turn the dining room into a family room, keep the living room as a formal living room, use the sunroom as a "sitting room" (after all, that is their main purpose), use the morning room as a dining room, the office as a office, and well, the kitchen as a kitchen.

I find it is much easier to fit our furniture in what is supposed to be the "Dining room" because there is no fireplace, which can make placement of couches and TV's particularly difficult and challenging.

Conversely, you could also use the dining room as a family room, the living room as a dining room (it's fairly common to do so in older homes), the sunroom as a more formal sitting room, the morning room as the morning room (or anything you want, really), the office as the office, and the kitchen as the kitchen.

Let your imagine run free :). In old houses there is no set way to use the rooms. We just have to do the best that we can do.

And it just depends on how you use spaces. We don't use the dining room *too* often...I hate to say it, but we usually eat meals in our family room :X

Also, if you don't have children and it's just you and hubby, you could set the living room up to have two recliners and a TV on the wall, which would fit nicely. And then use the sunroom for a couch for when you entertain.

The options are endless!

• enailes
    13 years ago

I love cape cods, your home has lots of charm and you will have fun decorating it, congratulations!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Makeithome- Love your inspriation pictures!

I have one question. Is there a bathroom and an office, between the kitchen and breakfast room? Do you think you'll eat there more often, or in the dining room?

Also, have you thought of putting a french door in the living room, to separate it from the sun room. Depending on how you use the sunroom, this would allow some sound control and give you a great place to put an extra chair or Christmas tree, when necessary. It's nice to have some comfy dining chairs that you can use in the living room, for extra seating, during the holidays. And, it's easier to use a room, when it can be closed off (even if only temporarily). Sitting in front of a french door, is easier than sitting in front of an opening.

I think I would turn the sunroom/breakfast room into a combination tea room and library, but that's just me, since I love tea. (LOL) It would be a great place for a few plants (maybe some herbs) and a hutch with fancy teacups and teapots.

The front part of the sunroom would make a nice library, with a few comfortable, upholstered chairs for reading, etc. Bookshelves are always a good idea. I like the idea of closing off the living room window and adding a bookcase, with more bookcases on the other side of the wall.

Once you decide how you're going to use your rooms, I think it will be much easier to choose paint colors. Think about how you want to use your spaces and everything else should fall into place :)

• ellendi
    13 years ago

Love your house too. Love all the suggestions, they are endless! My only thought goes along with the window in the living room. It looks like you get plenty of light in your house. I would sheetrock over it. I don't think you need it and and you can use the wall space.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

As an old house owner, I suspect the office was originally the maids room (where is she????) and that the sunroom was originally a screen porch

I think it would be lovely to do the sunroom in a style like the bottom inspiration picture with the grey walls and a large mirror.

And then the living room in a vanilla ice cream wall like the inspiration picture second from the bottom.

The dining room could be a lighter grey, and the entry and stairwell could be the color in the living room, but in a glossier finish-helps to bring light up the stairs and is more scrubbable.