SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Genuine hospitality and real manners.

palimpsest
12 years ago

I. This is one trip I remember going to see one of my mother's best friends, and this is around the time they first met.

We parked at the top of the road because it was so muddy she was afraid we would get stuck. My shoes got stuck in the mud and had to be fished out. When we got to the house, the woman unlooped the rope that held the door shut and welcomed us in. There was a stove, and a concrete sink in the kitchen, and there was a kitchen table to sit at. I remember there was a sofa with springs sticking out of it. There was linoleum that had worn through to the wood underneath. When we left we went out through a trap door in the floor because that part of the "house" had been used to keep animals in at one time.

A few years later this woman lived in a real house, and it was like the prototypical "hoarders" house. It was not dirty, but packed full of everything. 40 years later it is even more packed. This woman is not some poor soul, she comes from an educated background, has educated her children and grandchildren, and has bought some of them businesses.

This woman is one of the most gracious hosts I know, and she became one of my mother's closest friends. She never lets you leave without eating something, usually prepared on the spot, and you need to take some home with you too.

There is absolutely no conventional nicety you could say about her house, and I doubt she has ever noticed a thing about my parents'. She certainly never said anything complimentary--or at all---about it.

II. My paternal grandmother basically hated my mother. She and my great aunt either had nothing nice to say directly to her, or criticized her slightly out of earshot. They were invited to our house for every holiday and more. In thirty odd years my mother never said a disagreeable word to either one of them and made sure they were as comfortable and entertained as her favorite guest. When my grandmother and great aunt were in nursing homes and incontinent, it was my mother who washed their clothes every night.

Sometimes not saying anything tritely and politely (and absolutely false) about someone's house, and not taking offense (imagined, or even when intended) is the most gracious kind of host or guest to be.

Comments (20)