SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_2_5

The real problem in this family...

mom_of_2.5
15 years ago

Whenever I post I feel like such an ogre! But the real problem in my family is not my SS, it's my husband.

Man I feel bad speaking less than favorably about the husband I love and adore but OMG his lack of parenting skills amaze me! I don't know if it's parenting by guilt or if he is just dense. He is so disconnected I can barely even describe it. It's almost as if we babysit eow for a complete stranger and since we don't know this kid we entertain him with video games and tv.

If you've read anything I've posted before, you'll know I'm trying to be "hands off" to FORCE my DH to be hands on, and it's just not working. I don't want to be the mean, always nagging SM. I want my DH to tell his son to chew with his mouth closed, teach him to wipe his behind, I want him to ask him how school is going, email the teacher from time to time and maybe bring out a board game on a Friday or Sat night when he's here! I see my DH play with our friends babies and I can see the genuine interest and attention he has for them. Then, when his own son is here, like I said, we might as well be babysitting for strangers.

Not only does he not discipline him, he just doesn't pay attention to him--it's sad! Being hands off isn't really working, can anyone suggest another angle to encourage a bond or relationship between them? Any tips for letting go of things I cannot change?

**on the bright side** SS was here this weekend with no bad behaviors. Just played his DS alot.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath