SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Why to hang drapery rods?

lisa_a
13 years ago

Who knew that I'd be so baffled by where to hang the drapery rods for my DR? It seems so silly. I need your help!

Here's the scenario. Our DR has 2 windows, side by side, on the side wall and a French door and window on the back wall. Both sets are treated as one unit, thanks to white painted millwork between window and window or door and window. The door/window set measures 7' 3" (including 3-1/2" molding). The window/window set measures 6' 3" (inc. molding). There is a light switch 2" to the left of the patio door that operates the ceiling fan in the covered deck area just outside the DR. The French door swings out, not in and we don't use it often. The panels are 50" wide and will be hung on rings (with hooks, not clips) from a wooden rod that has 3" finials. I have an 8' wide rod and a 12' wide rod and I can cut the rods to whatever width needed.

I've figured out what height to hang the rods but I haven't a clue how far away from the window molding to install the brackets. I also haven't figured out whether I'll add a return (using a cup hook screwed into the wall) instead of a ring for the final position. That may depend on where the panel hangs for the French door and whether we'll have to reach in from the inside or from the outside of the panel to reach the light switch.

I'm not posting a pic because the room is a mess right now. I'm in the midst of organizing several years of photos and the DR table (and a good bit of the floor) is covered with albums and such.

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB drapes in yellow

Comments (10)