SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Rules for rug size and placement?

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

Question is my living room is large but I will be using the carpet from my smaller library until I can find a suitable replacement. I wanted to buy the same carpet in a larger size but the rug is no longer available. This carpet is not wide enough for any part of the sofa to rest on it or the tv stand on the opposite wall. I have the rug centered with the sofa but that makes it really short on the one end and on the other end there is about two feet worth of carpet under the chairs that are perpendicular to the sofa. Would it be better to not center the carpet and only have the front legs of the chairs on the carpet and have the carpet extend way more on one side of the sofa than on the other? I am sure there is a decorating principle that would dictate the correct placement. Please chime in as neither option looks good to me.

This room is becoming a decorating nightmare. Every time I resolve one issue another one crops up and I am going to go way over what I planned on spending as I now need two new carpets instead of one, more lamps than originally planned for and several more case good pieces.

DH also commented that we should have made the library into our dining room. I could have crowned him as I have suggested doing just that for years. It is too late for that to really be an option as I am now using my Audrey Hepburn chairs in there and making it my room since DH changed the vibe in the living room.

Comments (14)