SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

What type/style window treatment for this small window.

User
9 years ago

My sewing skills are on the basic side, but I'd prefer to DIY if possible.

The new crown moulding has been installed and I didn't think about how close the cabinets were to the window. The crown crowds more than I thought. The one side actually is a little over the casing at the top.

I wanted to make a faux roman and hang it high toward the ceiling crown. I'm pretty sure that's not going to work.

What to do? Looks like I'm going to have to keep the hardware, existing or otherwise, where it's at or do an inside mount. Thoughts about what looks better in this situation?

Here's the fabric I'll be using. The toile will be the window treatment and the plaid goes on chairs. Should I make a faux roman? Different type of valance? Would you use trim? I was thinking simple, maybe brown trim, if anything.
{{!gwi}}

This is what I wanted to make.
{{!gwi}}

Cabinets will be stained brown mahogany and walls BM Shaker Beige. That white strip above the window is where the wooden valance used to go across. It's visually annoying for now.

Old valance (valance/valence?) thrown back up quick.
{{!gwi}}

Thanks!

Comments (45)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

#1. Definitely.

Beautiful fabrics, btw.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That toile is really great and would make a fab Roman shade! Is there any way to do it up high so that the window looks taller? I guess the cabinet crown is in the way, though. Hmmm I'll be curious to see what others suggest!

• Related Discussions

Treatments for small room with a lot of windows

Q

Comments (36)
    I'm late to the discussion, but I like your choice(s). I have 3 walls of windows in our sunroom and I love roman shades in there. And we don't even need them for privacy - but we do need a bit of relief from the sun. My shades are almost always pulled down 1/3 of the way at the most. However my windows are taller than yours. Our romans are solid as are the slipcovers in that room. I have a pillow obsession (and maybe a throw/blanket obsession) and love to swap out. ANYWAY, the rug is beautiful as is the paint color. I think the light fabric is a good choice and will keep the room from being too dark. I may be biased on that thought, because I favor more airy, light rooms. Glad you didn't go with valances! No, not the way it goes at our house cuz it'd drive me over the edge. I'm kind of a get one project out of the way before starting another one type of gal. LOL And we DIY alot of things, and I couldn't handle more than 1 at a time. I bet you could recover the chairs yourself.
    ...See More

What type of window treatments would you use on these door/windows?

Q

Comments (6)
    The primary reason for window treatments would be for privacy at night. Any treatment would be opened during the daytime. This is our family room and we spend a lot of time in there. It is the back of the house, but our neighbors are not far and with the lights on, you would be able to see us walking around, watching tv, etc. The other reason would be to add some color or design to an empty wall. There's no room to hang anything decorative except for using the door and window as a base for design.
    ...See More

What type of window treatment for dining room?

Q

Comments (3)
    *shutters ("shudder" = tremble or quiver) I'd choose panel drapes to stack off each side of the window. You could do blinds or shutters also (match color to the trim). You have hundreds of options for drapery color/pattern since you don't have any other patterns in the room. Choose something that brings in some of the red from the walls.
    ...See More

What type of window treatments would work best for oval window?

Q

Comments (9)
    The height of your panels works for the room, leaving the arched top window to be a view to the sky. Is there a reason to go higher? if so you can do an arched to set of panels or top treatment. Please keep in mind that you have at least 1 more window in that spacey and if you do a higher treatment on that window it may bring down the height of the room and be unbalanced with the other window(s). I agree that shades inside mounted would look good if you need light blockage, and I prefer to have panels out further to each side exposing more of the glass. .....Did that help any?
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix - Thanks!

Errant - I'd love to take it to the ceiling crown, but the fabric will touch the crown and I really not sure I can make it work. And that's quite disappointing because I don't want the window to look all squatty.

Since I don't think I can hang it high, I'm trying to convince myself that it doesn't make sense to raise it high because design wise, in this house, in that location, the window wouldn't actually be that tall. ..........

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have a very similar setup in my kitchen with a tiny window and cabinets crowding it. My cabinets go up to the ceiling, though, so it wasn't as difficult figuring out how to place a Roman shade.

What height do you have WT in your adjacent rooms?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What about this style, using both fabrics?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Do you see her dilemma with the way the cabinet crown crowds the space, Tibb? I think she has to mount whatever she does below the cabinet crown.

• User
    9 years ago

The crown looks fabulous! I like Tibb's suggestion because beadboard is a style that doesn't take much adornment. With that red, I'd go ahead with the plan to paint the beadboard 50% of the wall color. I think it will be so warm and inviting. The white bb is too stark with red.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wait. Scratch that. I'm confused. I was thinking that first pic was her window, i.e.: a double window, but it's the second pic that is her window.

How about hanging the valance from the top of the window and adding a piece of crown moulding above it as if the crown moulding on the cabinetry continues around the window?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Inside mount

or maybe flush with or just above the cabinet crown.

I agree that it looks strange to hang it way above the cabinets

I'd tape it on to see what different heights look like.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree w/NSM re: inside mount. Get some wood trim above the valance.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was just coming back to say I think an inside mount might look the cleanest in this case.
    More inside mount pics.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Tibbrix - Sorry about the confusion. I really don't want to mess with anymore crown. We'd have to call the carpenter back.

Nosoccer - Thanks for the pics!

Would you add any trim?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Goodness - Sorry! a bunch of these posts didn't show up earlier...I'll be back in a bit.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Inside mount, no extra trim. That beautiful pointer fabric speaks for itself. Not sure of the size of the pattern repeat, but make sure those dogs are centered on the top of the panel as that is what will show most of the time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Easiest would be an inside mount.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I think inside mount would look best anyway. No trim.

Shee, where's that pic from with the red/turquoise fabric? Love it!

tina

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant - The LR has curtain rod that are under the ceiling crown. The roman shades on the dining room side just cover the glass. They will be replaced with darker, lined woven shades.

Tibbrix - I like that with both fabrics. I believe I'd have enough of the plaid to do that. Couldn't I just attach it at the back edges? I could still do that for an inside mount.
    "Get some wood trim above the valance."
    I can't picture this. Do you mean a separate piece of crown just above the window? My window has trim around it and the inside mount would look like the two roman photos I posted.

May - You mean where Tibb suggested using both fabrics? I agree about the bb being too stark. There is white in the floor and counter, but it's too white as is. I was also thinking the wall color at 50%. I'm still not sure if they can mix samples like that.

Nosoccer - I'm trying to figure out how that second one is attached. Good idea about tape.

Prairiemom - Thanks! I'll be sure to center it. The repeat is rather large.

Annie - Thanks for the feedback. I believe that's what I'll do.

Tina - Nell Hills! I actually like it too! :)

Inside the window is, we're going to round to, 34.5"H. Am I correct that the shade should cover about 1/3 of the window? So about 11.5" long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nell Hill's blog not quite 1/2 way down

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you want a faux roman, that's fine. But if your sewing skills are basic, you can go simpler by making a shaped valance instead...you can add trim (glue gun) or not.

The valances in my bedroom are flat with trim applied.

Another valance I made is also a flat, straight rectangle for the background. I made the banners separately. I cut the fabric and used stitch witchery...iron on stuff...to hem the edges as I didn't want any stitching to show. I used a glue gun to attach the trim and then just pinned them in place...that way I was sure they hung straight and were exactly where I wanted them. You could do that with the toile in the banner and select a pretty stripe or solid for the background.

On something like above, you can also change the shape of the banner...make it scalloped or triangular...
    I made relaxed triangles to dress up the drapes in DH's study...added a tassel on the bottom to give them more weight and decoration.

You can create whatever shape you want in the valance just by cutting the edge...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Re: trim above the valance. I was referring to the area that is white in the second pic, but that would be for an outside mount. If you do an inside mount, no need to add trim/moulding as the window trim will take care of it. I do think an inside mount would look best.

You could always do a small outside mount squared valance with the plaid fabric, then have the inside mount flat roman shade emerging from underneath it. That would look awesome, I think. Mount the outside mount valance level with the top of the cabinet crown moulding.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

If you wanted to use both fabrics, IâÂÂd do an inside mount just like this one, with the plaid as the upper fabric. If you want a link to instructions on how to do this, just let me know. ItâÂÂs relatively easy, and requires minimal sewing skills.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of valances and would prefer the roman shade myself, BUT, I do like that last valance Annie shared and it would show off your pretty toile fabric.

Annie - stuffed animals??? LOL

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

tinam, of course! One is Potter the Otter from our trip to Seattle where we saw sea otters, and the other is Balboa Bunny from our trip to San Diego. The white pillow is white venetian lace we bought in Venice, and the pic on the wall is of Durnstein from our trip to E. Eur....make it pretty but make it personal.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie - Thanks for posting those. I think I prefer the look of a relaxed roman. I did find some tutorials that I think should be pretty easy. I hate math though so I might ask for help with figuring. I have used fabric glue, the iron on stuff, and hot glue in a pinch. I actually don't mind using my sewing machine once I finally get the bobbin in place. I linked to one of the tutorials I saved. I don't want to mess with a board though. Couldn't I just use a tension rod for the inside mount?

Tibb - "Mount the outside mount valance level with the top of the cabinet crown moulding."
    I wouldn't be able to have it level. The crown goes over the top edges of the casing so the sides wouldn't cover the sides of the trim.

Nanny - That's pretty. Is that one you made? Instructions would be great. I not sure if I want to use both fabrics mainly because I'm not sure I'll have enough of the plaid and I don't want to order more, but we'll see.

Tina - Out of the valances I think I prefer the last one too.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux roman tutorial

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Gotta say that I personally prefer outside mounts, probably flush with the crown or slightly higher.

I think you just use a piece of wood and screw it into the wall. See below.

More info at http://www.younghouselove.com/2012/11/shady-business/

I also really like relaxed Roman shades/valances.

Detailed instructions below

Here is a link that might be useful: relaxed Roman shade

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom - Oh, me too. I just don't think I'm going to be able to though.
    {{!gwi}}

Looks like I'll either have to keep the hardware as is or do an inside mount.

Thanks for the link and pics!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, now I get it. Could you attach the shade/valance just above the outside corner of the window frame, as high up as you can? Maybe even touching the crown? Or basically attach it to the top of the window frame.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know. I'm not sure what I would use. I had a rough time taking the rod back off for this particular hardware. Let me know if you can think of anything. I think the hardware will be too big and if I can get it to fit, I don't think I'll be able to attach the rod because of the crown. Yeah, never though about this detail. FWIW, the original smaller crown still would have been sticking out and I would've had the same situation. Thankfully I didn't go with something even larger; for this reason and I think the visual balance would be bad. I think it's borderline now.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Because the size of the window I'd definitely go with an inside mount. I'd also do two simple half panels and no valance or roman shade.

But if you do a roman shade, the less bulk the better. No fluffiness. lol

• tinam61
    9 years ago

nosoccer - I love that pic you posted.

Shee - after seeing the up-close pic, I think you'll have to go with inside mount.

This is a regular (faux) roman shade, not relaxed, but you can see they used a tension rod and not a board. I would think you could do the same with the relaxed. I like the fold/pleat in the one nosoccer shared.

tina

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

I have this same sort of issue with my cabinet crown and I opted for a different treatment. Sorry, I need to post separately.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

A closer look. I modified the valance to make it work. If you really prefer an outside mount, perhaps you need to change the valance style.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice job RBS! And a very clever solution!

I too had an issue with the crown over the window by my kitchen sink, but I told the carpenter to leave space behind the top crown so I could shove a tension rod up there and let the crown be my finished edge on the valance. I then made a faux balloon bottom so it would spread wide enough to cover the window trim edge to edge while clearing the cabinet crown.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    9 years ago

I had a similar situation with a small window that needed an inside mount treatment. I bought a high quality roller shade, cut it down to length needed and covered it with fabric. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Wish I had a picture of mine but I don't. I just grabbed this one off the web as an example. What I did different is added a short (6") flat valance in contrasting fabric to cover the top of the roller shade. I used a small tension rod for the valance. It was so simple.

Your fabrics are beautiful!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I would do a soft roman, and only one fabric. IMHO the window is too small for anything more elaborate.

I do think that outside mount flush with the crown would look better, but if you cannot I would go with inside mount soft roman. That's a bit suboptimal though, because it ends up being such a small amount of fabric unless you have it pulled down.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You can do an outside mount treatment if you don't mind having a header....I think you can just put a tension rod between the cabinets. It will sit a little lower than the top window molding, but that can be covered with a header....

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oakley - That is something I thought of a few months back, but needed to see the wooden valance gone. Where would you install the rod?
    I like the look of the tall ones. I don't think I can make that fit that the rod isn't running over the moulding.
    {{!gwi}}
    This one is ok.
    {{!gwi}}

This looks like skimpy napkins to me.
    {{!gwi}}

I don't think my window is wide enough. Inside measures 27.75"W x 34.5"H. With trim is 33"W x 37.25" H to sill.

You said about less fluff. I know it will be fake, but I figured there should be some fullness so it doesn't look unrealistic.

Tina - Did you mean to attach something? Which one are you talking about?

Annie - Thanks for the photos. They look nice. Tension rod definitely seems like the easiest thing for an inside mount.

Ratherbesewing - That looks nice. Good job around the trim.

Tannatonk - Thanks! That's a great idea. I'd like to let the max amount of light I can get away with so I probably wouldn't lower a shade in this case.

Mtnrd & Annie - I know, the window is quite small and an inside mount means not much fabric. I don't know that I mind a header, but can't find a photo of a roman with one. Instead of an inside mount, I could keep the hardware where it's currently located. That's white wall, not trim, showing in the photo I posted at the beginning of the thread.

I think I need to buy a tension rod and do some mock ups.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know this still looks bad, but I was trying to get a visual so I tucked and squished. The middle drop is 12.5"L. Trim does poke out at the top a little. Will more more noticeable when I paint the walls. I would need to mount a little higher or add a header.
    {{!gwi}}

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Could you attach it to the crown and have it bunch out to the sides, so there's fabric covering the frame, basically covering everything to the cabinets?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccer - I think that could work, but I'm not sure how I'd attach it to the crown. ? I also checked this morning and I believe there is room for maybe one of those small cafe curtain rods mounted higher. If I couldn't use the hardware included, I imagine those little hooks you screw into the wall would be a good substitute. I could rig it somehow! There's a spot right above the window trim, slightly below the crown that might work. The treatment would hit the crown, but cover the sides of the frame.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Tension rod between crowns? Or attach to the wall right under that last dip of the crown.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That might work.

I wanted to post this photo earlier, but internet was done. The red area was where I was talking about. Tension rod to the crown would be easier.
    {{!gwi}}

Rough mock up. Anyone think I should do long panels on each side?
    {{!gwi}}

• Pieonear
    9 years ago

Love your fabric! I think the inside mount gives such a clean look and so much easier to deal with.

• mistychaz
    9 years ago

I love the fabrics you have chosen. Could you share the names of both the Toile and the plaid? Thank you.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyrus - Thank you! The toile is P. Kauffman Pointer in Rosewood. The plaid is Roth Newbury in Cardinal. You should be able to find the toile online, but I don't know about the plaid. I ordered them both through Nell Hill's. They have two locations. I ordered through their Briarcliff store. 816-746-4320 Hope that helps!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 21:16

• mistychaz
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the fabric information. Your choices are wonderful.