SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Would you show me your stained glass?

Oakley
14 years ago

Strange but I've never been interested in stained glass except in churches, up until now. My3dogs posted her new SG, and I really want to buy one for a window in the LR.

Except the window has shutters in front of it. I have a small stained glass piece hanging from the shutter's middle rod, but I want a large piece to put on the window itself.

Would you show me some pictures of your stained glass, and show me how you've hung it? I'd love to see the stained glass that's built into the window also.

Comments (51)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I remember seeing the picture of your parents windows. Those are beautiful!

Are those blinds you have in front of the stained glass? The size of your SG is what I'm thinking about getting for my window.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jen, I want to thank you for getting me hooked on stained glass! lol. I'm sitting here on this beautiful, chilly night with a cup of coffee looking at stained glass online. So far I've bought a bird feeder with stained glass for eight bucks. Since we remodeled and built-on, I have zero accessories left to decorate with!

This is a nice evening looking at all the art!

• judiegal6
    14 years ago

We rescued 2 of these stained glass windows from a demolition. I still need to put some filler peices around the perimeter, but I can't decide on the color.

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

All the stained glass is beautiful! We just have leaded glass in our front door, but we really enjoy it:

{{!gwi}}

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very pretty Judie and Kiko! It's amazing what these windows can do for a room.

I do have an itty bitty piece of stained glass my friend brought me back from London a few weeks ago. It's of Henry VIII. lol. (I'm into all things Tudor) I'm going to put it in the kitchen window I think, it's a beautiful piece, but I need a bigger piece for this window.

{{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Jen, Your Dad's stained glass is gorgeous, as well as your
    stained glass and it is displayed wonderfully in your home.
    It enhances your lovely decor.
    We got into stained glass in 1995, we have about a dozen windows installed inside, and a few outside as well (on our deck) we also have lots of cabentry with stained glass
    inserts.

I picked a few of ours to show...This is one of two from our dining room, it is an operating window.Prior to doing
    stained glass. the two areas where we put the stained glass
    there were no windows. Cliff installed the windows just for
    the stained glass...
    This is the 2nd window we did...the mirror on the side reflects the window :)

This is my favorite one, our kitchen door (it is the 4th window we did)

This is the third window we did, in our bathroom...I call it the Mommy and Baby Bunny on the grassy knoll. :)
    This is an operating window as well...

This is a cabinet we made for our breakfast room. I originally designed humming birds for the cabinet, as we were getting set up to do the stained glass, Cliff said, "Joann lets do pigs, draw up some pigs." and glad I did
    cause it is a food pantry... :)

This is our front door...I had always planned to change it
    seasonally, but we never have time.

This is one that I posted a couple of weeks ago when we finished the end tables, my perfume cabinet with a humming bird. This is one of two perfume cabinets we made. The other is large and hangs on the wall in our bathroom.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

just to show you how sturdy stained glass is...The one in the middlw of the beagle jumping over the pond has been outside 24/7 -- 365 days for the last 12 years or so.
    The other one of our koi has been outside for about 5 years.

This is another koi of ours, Little Red Nose, he's been hanging outside for about 4 years.

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

WOW THESE ARE ALL GORGEOUS!! JoAnn, does Cliff hire out?
    How lucky you are to have a handy hubby. I love stained glass. My Dear husband has a difficult time just hanging something. I love the beagle jumping over the pond.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

Thanks Livvy, He has not time for me to hire him out ;)
    As he say's, he only has time to please one woman. :)

The one you commented on is our beagle CJ chasing a bunny, it is one of my favorites as well, because it is a happy one... Cliff made a frame around it, so that
    it could be hung in different areas, inside or outside.
    One year my girlfriend (a florest) borrowed it one Spring to hang in her florest shop window.

• natal
    14 years ago

Jen, your dad was so lucky to find those pieces and what a great way to showcase them!

Oakley, dh has hung most of ours with fishing tackle ... nylon-coated wire, swivel crimps, and sleeves. We have 2 wood-framed pieces that are hung with eye & cup hooks.

fishing tackle from Bass Pro

We bought our first piece of stained glass as a wedding gift to each other. The artist was Steve Wilson. At the time he was only a few years out of college. He started his career by exhibiting in fine arts & crafts shows and has gone on to create many commissioned pieces for churches and individuals. On our first anniversary we bought another piece from Steve. Both are heavily influenced by scripture.

Stephen Wilson

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Natal, those are beautiful pieces. I'm glad to see they look nice behind blinds/shutters. That was the problem I was having.

Joann, don't you just love Beagles? I have an English Pointer and all sporting/hunting dogs just melt my heart, even if they don't hunt! It's their personality. That's such a great captured moment of CJ.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

Oh, I am so glad to be part of this group who now has a piece of stained glass!

Jen, I simply can't believe the ones in your parent's home - just incredible!

And Joan - WOW! I'd marry again if I could find a guy like your hubby! I never have time to try all the things that I'd like o do, but I bet I'd enjoy doing stained glass, as I love to sew, paint, garden...all that 'with my hands' stuff. I cringed when you said you leave some pieces outside, as I'd think they'd crack in the cold and wet, but I can see that they haven't!

All of the pieces that everyone has shown above are just beautiful, and what a great variety.

Joan, to show how ignorant of it I am, you earlier mentioned that mine has a lot of 'art glass' in it. Is that the multi-colored or mottled pieces that aren't a solid color?

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I don't own this. It's on Ebay, a mass produced, made in China piece of stained glass. $89.99, FREE shipping. 24' X 18". Just saying.....
    {{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Loving your parents window Jen!

We were extremely fortunate to move into one of the few homes in our town that wasn't stripped bare. All of the original features were still present.

Dining Room Door:

Bathroom Window and Door:

MBR Alcove Window:

Entry Doors:

{{!gwi}}

Staircase Landing:

{{!gwi}}

There are 3 of these windows throughout the downstairs:

We started having some of them restored a few yrs ago but the cost to have them all done properly came in at almost $30,000. We've had multiple estimates. The owner of the company that came out from Philadelphia said he's never seen a house w/ all of this stained glass still left in it.

This all has had DH & I in quite a dilemma as to what to do when we move and how can we insure that it remains in tact after we're gone. A major source of disagreements among many of our friends and family.

• susan209
    14 years ago

What a delight seeing all of the stained glass, thanks. I have numerous small pieces hanging on windows; a bird, a flag, a flower, etc.....nothing gorgeous like the ones above! I absolutely love stained glass. My3dogs, I love the various colors in yours, it's quite a piece.

• cliff_and_joann
    14 years ago

ttodd, your stained glass is beyond gorgeous.
    You're so lucky to have it all in your home.
    It's stunning.

my three dogs, the blue around the edge and the green
    look like to me like art glass (very expensive)
    Also, solder now costs
    about 11.00 a roll, your window probably took 3 rolls.
    You sure got a bargain, and it's lovely as well.
    Enjoy it.

• natal
    14 years ago

Ttodd, I'd be very tempted to take that dining room door. It's exquisite!!!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Thanks Joann and Natal. When we first moved in the staircase window was my favorite. It's hard to tell in the pic but the inside part is very pale pink glass and the upper outer portion is pale yellow.

Then my favorite was the interior doors. They are such a PIA to keep clean w/ all of the big drooly dogs we used to have and all of the many that we used to dog sit.

But now I'd have to say it that my favorite is also the DR door. I like the pale amber border that is also hard to see in the pic.

The story of the stained glass is that a young groom had the house built for his new bride. The person building was a close friend of the groom and as a wedding gift to the couple put in all of the extra stained glass. Who knows but it makes for a sweet story. The bride lived here until she could no longer live by herself because of age. We are the 4th owners total in it's 102 yr. history.

I should clarify that the man that said he'd never seen so much stained glass left in a house in the area was specifically talking about what was once a typical home that is still being lived in as a residence.

One person who worked on our windows thinks that our front door was probably a single pane leaded glass door to match the interior french doors and both entry transoms. She assumed that at some point it was broken or stolen and now it's just a huge pane of glass.

Somebody actually offered us $10,000 for the entry doors one day while we were outside. 10 yrs. later we keep looking for them to come back. Just kidding! Couldn't do that to the poor old girl!

Jen, I am sooooo in love w/ that arched window! And your LR to BTW!

• User
    14 years ago

This is the upper half of the door we removed from our master bedroom when we closed it off. We moved it to the new stairwell that was created to access the attic/2nd floor conversion:

{{!gwi}}

This is our front door, original to the house from 1890;

{{!gwi}}

I have 2 leaded transoms and one stained glass transom that we added in the kitchen when we redid it 3 yrs ago. I don't have great pics of them as they are really hard to show in all their beauty...here is one leaded transom:

{{!gwi}}

this is the matching transom into out master bedroom suite:

stained glass transom to morning room from kitchen:

All of the pics are just breathtaking...it is so wonderful to see the beauty in each home and the amazing artistic talent that has moved through the ages. c

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttodd, those are just stunning! Is your home an A&C? If so, it can't get any more perfect!

Trail, I really like the one with the clear glass in it. And I think this is the first time I've seen part of your home, I love the different colored walls! I'd sure like to see more. ;)

• User
    14 years ago

ttodd's stained glass is just breathtaking. I don't know how they can leave that home :)

thank you so much oakleyok. I got the 3 transom windows from a salvage place and had my GC open the walls above each doorway to utlilize them. I actually got the windows weeks before we had a plan for them LOL. He did a great job helping me come up with a plan to increase the light in out "center of the house" kitchen by opening the walls up high. We didn't want to remove any walls in our 1890 home.

Let me know if you want to see something in more detail, I can always take another pic. c

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket link

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Bumping this one, just because I like it ;-)

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I just purchased this 24" X 18" for $3. Found it at a thrift store(it's next to the grocery store, dollar store & Walgreens, so I go once a week, never know what I'll find, sometimes nothing).

• Rudebekia
    14 years ago

In this house (which I no longer own) I had a local artist make stained glass inserts for the piano windows: a Macintosh rose design. Sorry that these aren't the best photos of the stained glass.
    {{!gwi}}

Here's the stained glass in my current (1913) home:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

here's a pic of my front hallway

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

here's a closeup

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

here's more- this window is in a closet and original to house about 115 years old

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

these were added in 1922-the house was built circa 1897

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

first landing of the stairs

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

oops previous post was living room this is first landing of stairs

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

2nd landing

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

bedroom

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

bathroom

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

transom

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

davidschaar, you really lucked out with your house! My favorites are the first ones in the living room. They're all just beautiful.

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

thank you very much,my 3 dogs, the art and craft windows in the living room have a sad story- these were purchased by the second owner of the house as a wedding present for her daughter's house- she was getting married and her husband to be was building a house- the daughter died a few days before the wedding- she had the windows enlarged to fit her windows- in memory of her daughter- the pic here is of the transom in the former "embalming room"- it is a gray glass with a floral design molded into and on top of the glass.

this pic

• Oakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a blast from the past! David, your window's are just stunning. The front door is my favorite.

Would it be possible to show us pictures from the outside of your home?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Oh! It's a very sad story, but what is wonderful is that you know it, and the history has been passed on to you. I love older homes (mine is from 1937) because they have those stories to tell us.

A woman whose grandfather built my house stopped in last summer (2011) and she got a tour. It was so much fun to hear that two bedrooms upstairs used to be 3, and that her grandfather built furniture in the building I use as my shed. I had been cleaning out the shed, and offered her a few things that her grandfather had made, many years before. She stood in the doorway and cried, she was so happy to have them, and had her husband pack them in their car as if they were priceless.

I hope you enjoy your beautiful home for many years, and add to the history with your own (happy) stories.

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

AS PER REQUESTED THE OUTSIDE THIS IS FRONT PORCH

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

THE PORCH AGAIN FACING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS- THE WINDOWS SEEN IN THE PICS (BEHIND THE CHAIRS) ARE CURVED GLASS

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Davidschaar, may I move in with your family? ;)

You have a lovely home and the glass is just amazing. Thanks for the pics and for reviving this thread. I missed it the first time and it has been a feast for the eyes this evening.

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

THE OUTSIDE PHOTOGRAPHED FROM ACROSS THE STREET. NOTE THE WHITE BLANK SIGN HOLDER (LEFT) IS FROM THE HOUSE'S DAY AS A FUNERAL HOME.

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

Thanks Cyn- you are very kind- i lived here for almost 23 years-looking out the plain glass windows- which are now very wavy- makes the outside look surreal- something which is very welcome. Here's one of the fireplace mantels in the house. The shape of the mirror and beveling is interesting.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Sorry this isn't the best pic...when I get a chance, I'll update.

Back in the 60s, Mom and her GF would go on weekend trips up to VT and NH to see the foliage. They saw an old house that was being torn down. At the time, Mom was looking for old fancy moldings for Dad to make into picture frames for her. So she went in and asked if she could look around. The guy said sure. She came across a pair of stained glass doors and asked how much...the guy said $10!!! So Mom bought them and brought them home. They sat in the garage for all these years, and when it came time for us to build, I definitely wanted to use them. One was really badly warped though. But we managed to salvage one and get the new door made. This is the door to DH's study.....obscured from view by co. if the room is a mess, yet lovely to look at. Thanks Mom! You done good!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We also kept these from the old house...not stained, but leaded and beveled. I'll post where they are now when I get a chance.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

Funny that I would see this post today. I was just at a gathering last nite and the lady has a front parlor that she had added on to her large victorian home. I was admiring her large stained glass piece that was part of the wall that separates her kitchen fro the parlor. It was gorgeous! It was a large long piece that had vibrant torquise colors in it. Her whole home is pretty unique as she's an artist and she has stuff everywhere! Yet, it looks so good to me. I could never pull off what she does and have it look so nice. Some of her trim is painted - colors - not your basic white/beige. It just sets off her walls and wallpapered rooms perfectly.
    Now, I'm longing to find a place for some stained glass in my house!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I realized since this post started, I have another piece of Craigslist stained glass. When I replace the very rustic bath in my cellar last year, I happened upon this on CL. Could it be a more perfect size for privacy in that lower sash? The seller hadn't included dimensions when I first saw it, so I wrote for them. When I got them, I measured the window, and couldn't believe it. It's as if it was custom made for it.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I designed these in 1985, a friend built them for me:

A few years later I designed this piece, same stained glass artisan , Ann Holmes (then) of Batesville, AR.

I found this cool door for my kitchen on ebay. The pressed glass tiles are unusual.

Victorian stained glass is always the brightest most eye-catching thing in the room.
    Casey

• davidschaar
    11 years ago

Great Glass! very colorful

• chestnut3
    11 years ago

This window- and a matching one next to it-is in our DR. There is another similar one in the main bath on the 2nd floor.