SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Two sofas facing each other - how far is too far apart?

lkplatow
13 years ago

The short version of this question is this: if you are going to have two sofas facing each other, what is the maximum distance you can have between them without it looking stupid. My room is 13 feet wide and becuase the room has the most difficult layout ever, I can't really pull the furniture away from the wall without cutting off a traffic pattern or completely un-balancing the room. If I get 2 3-foot deep sofas and face them toward each other, I'll have about 7 feet between them. Is that too much? I can put a coffeetable or ottoman or something to take up the space, but I'm still wondering if that's too far and it will feel like you're shouting to the other side of the room.

If my 2 sofa plan doesn't work, I'm definitely going to have to post a floor plan and some pics, because this room has the most frustrating and hard to explain layout ever. We've lived here for 8 years using the furniture we had from our previous house (definitely not the best layout for the room, but it fit and we already owned it), while I've fantasized about the day I could get new furniture in there. But in 8 years of thinking about this, I still haven't come up with a layout that seems to make sense.

Comments (7)