SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Living Room - Almost Complete

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

This is the second room in a series we have redone. Since we have remodeled our whole house kitchen, two bathrooms, floors, exterior, etc. we are decorating on a budget.

You may recall my posting the slate floor of my living room when we were installing it. Later I posted asking for help with decorating the room. I received many wonderful ideas from les917 and others. Thanks to you all.

Here is the living room almost complete. The half wall you see was not in the room when we purchased the home. We installed it and had a piece of alder wood custom made to top the wall - having that wall has made the room much more usable for furniture placement and intimacy yet keeping that open feeling. The room is 15'6" x 13', faces East, looks out on the screen room and views beyond, and has two 4' openings one from the entry/hall and one leading into the kitchen.

I am needing to adjust a few things in the room, but all in all I am very happy with it.

The curtains were just hung and have not been ironed. I may be rethinking the lamp - I think I might want a taller one and perhaps one with a taupe or brown shade?

I am not sure I want to place an area rug under the coffee table - as I really like the look of the bare slate.

The cane chair was just purchased from a consignment shop and was lime/chartreuse and I repainted it silvery blue.

I painted the art on the walls to save dollars on art since we are on budget.

The two boxes by the one chair - I plan to add a small trunk or something to place under them to raise their level up to the height of the chair arm and plan on adding a tall palm (live one) behind it.

I have another floral arrangement of blue hydrangeas in a offwhite low vase I may place on the taller table.

The mazanita (we drove to the hills and got the manzanita) was just propped in the vase for the photo, so I have to adjust it some and perhaps shorten it a bit. You may find this hokey, but I have a small mossy bird nest (a real one I found in the mountains when we lived there) I will tuck in one of the branches and may put some little pale blue birds eggs in it. I have another piece of manzanite that is not as tall and is more wide I may try it in the pot to see how it looks. Oh, I could stain the mazanita a reddish brown with the same stain I used on the baseboards ?

Anyway here are my photos. The colors may be a little off due to the light fixture and flash. Please excuse dust etc. Just finished base boards and quarter round last night. Please feel free to comment. Oh, and large art is off center and other one is not even with it - will change that. Thanks.

{{gwi:1553781}}

{{gwi:1841406}}

{{gwi:1841407}}

{{gwi:1841408}}

{{gwi:1841409}}

{{gwi:1841410}}

Comments (11)

• bud_wi
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am stunned. I haven't been following your threads. I had to blink when I saw the room. I have the exact same couch and chair set. The exact same ceramic planter. Very similar parson tables. (I have been looking to replace them with glass top ones like I had before.) I even had purchased that exact same lamp but returned it as I found two I like better. I have some modern art by a local artist painted on flat cardboard that I put in frames. Even an arrangement of twigs from the yard I brought in. And three boxes stacked next to my chair. Hmmm.

OK, you asked for suggestions. On my monitor the walls are definately a pink. I am assuming the walls are white. Is that the color you used? I would go a deeper color. I would group the art close together. Maybe frame them with some inexpensive frames. Put up sheers or blinds in something natural with the drapes. The room needs an added third color. Right now everything is either blue or brown. Add another pop of color and maybe toss in a couple of things in a deeper blue too so that everything is not the same shade of blue. If you're getting a palm as you say, do not mix live plants and dried plants in the same room. It's one or the other. I would remove that little Grecian vase from the sofa table. It is too insignificant and is the same height as the photos. The art from that wall should go with the others in a grouping. You need to get another art piece for the walls then in another color besides light blue.

That is really a cute chair! It has solid lines and lots of detail. It really softens the room.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bud_wi, thanks for your input. I have to run out to get some stuff for my guest room, but do you have a photo or two of your room you can post?

That is so freaky - you have almost the same things - ok how about we chaulk it up to "like (brilliant) minds think alike" HA !

I wanted to group the art, but I painted the two smaller ones in the wrong direction. Maybe I can get two little canvases for beside the big one and add a different color to them. How could I group them all - put the two smaller ones together and then the bigger one over the loveseat?

I don't usually like deeper blue - will see how it looks - but what other color do you think would go? Coral - lime green ? - don't tell me I should have left my chair lime green. I didn't take the tags off the pillows - so I can return a couple of them and get something different.

I'll re-read your post when I get home and do some more thinking. Thanks so much.

• Related Discussions

Almost complete basement pics

Q

Comments (33)
    meganmm, Thank you, we are enjoying it. I see I listed the name of the granite incorrectly in the above post. We have Madura gold in our master bath, the basement bath is kashmir gold. Let me give you some background on the countertop. Lowes had advertised last summer, in the Sunday supplement, a 48" pre fab granite top in Desert Gold for something like $269. In a little section to the side it said also available in Kashmir Gold, Black Absolute and Blue Pearl. Kashmir gold was close to what I was considering in "real" granite, so I went in to order it. No luck. The salesperson couldn't find a sku for it. After several days and plenty of phone calls, it became apparent that it was a misprint. After talking with the manager he agreed to sell me one for the advertised price, but it should have been closer to $600! So I got a really good deal on that. The tile is travertine and was a special order from Home Depot. The floor tiles were 18x18 and we cut them to do the hopscotch pattern. The wall tiles in the shower are 12x12 below the insert and the same tiles cut into 6x12 subways above. The insert itself is a 12x12 sheet of kashmir gold mosaic with a travertine pencil liner. We purchased all of the tile during a 20% off sale on special order tile at HD. Good luck with your project. Feel free to email me if you have anymore questions, since now that I have gone back to work I don't check in here very often.
    ...See More

Almost complete bathroom remodel

Q

Comments (13)
    Your space looks really nice and your layout is similar to what my daughter wants to do. (Only her room is more like 7 by 8 feet and I wonder if we can fit everything.) What is the size of your shower. How wide is your vanity. I suppose the shower and toilet sit on the 11 foot wall, but it looks more like 9 feet? Your new bathroom looks more spacious with the new layout.
    ...See More

My new IPE deck!!! Almost complete!!!

Q

Comments (4)
    If you live in Nassau County, it is probably a little late to stain the ipe w/ TWP (I live in Westchester). I don't think there is any harm in letting the ipe age until the spring (it may turn a bit gray but nothing else). Then you can use the RAD system and stain. My advice on the RAD is to block off the deck after treatment and to not allow anyone to walk on it until stained (to prevent dirt from getting on it). I used it on my new mahogany deck and actually did the staining in my socks as I was very concerned about dirt and eventual mold forming.
    ...See More

complete living room redo - transitional with touch of boho

Q

Comments (79)
    Love the rugs, especially 1 & 2. I have another one I think would also be nice in your room, if I can find it again. I like the chair, color and style. I know this is just a rendering and may not be to scale, but just want to note that the chair needs more heft to balance with the sofa. I think style would be ok, but a larger chair.
    ...See More
  • meltnaz
    16 years ago

Looks like you have done a lot of great work in this room. I too am doing blues and browns, but am going toward a more cottage-y but transitional room.

I agree with bud_wi that you're artwork needs some rearranging. What if you lower the larger rectangular piece and place the two smaller prints above to create a bolder art statement, or you can do that arrangement over the sofa table and place a mirror or some other piece of more textural art above the sofa. Here is a budget idea for you: You could get 4 of those wooden place mats or chargers at Target and just tack them with a little nails either in a straight line with about 2 inches in between, or hang 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom...just a thought (I tried to find a link for you so you could see what I'm talking about but was not successful). You should center the artwork with the couch, imho.

You've got great lines in the room, but I think you could soften it up a bit more with an area rug...something with an organic feel that mirrors the reeds/woody feel of your accessories.

Also, I would add to your window treatment...it looks a bit sparse. Perhaps a bamboo shade in a dark finish mounted at the same height as your curtains. This will make your window appear taller too.

I agree also with bud_wi that the room looks a bit pink. A cooler brown would look great.

Please keep us updated on your progress, and good luck. I always appreciate budget makeovers...us poor people have to get really creative...it's so easy just to go out and buy new stuff, but decorating on a limited budget, when every purchase or decision has to be scrutinized, now THAT takes talent! : )

• les917
    16 years ago

Things are really coming together! Looks a lot different since the last time I saw it.

The blue chair, while a charming and unexpected addition to the room, is too light. The details are washed out by the pale blue, and it doesn't feel like it can hold its own against all the dark things in the room. I would think about trying to use an antiquing glaze on it, and adding a seat cushion in a blue/brown print fabric. Or go to a deeper blue.

I love the art you created, but it is fading away into the light walls. I would mount the larger piece on a piece of plywood about 2 inches larger than the canvas on all sides. Paint the wood in the espresso brown of your furniture, then mount the canvas on it. Cheaper than framing and it will give the piece more impact, plus bring the darker color that is concentrated on the lower half of the room, up to the wall.

I would frame the two smaller canvases in dark frames and hang them both above the sofa table. Start them low, just a couple of inches over the table and hang them one over the other, on the right end of the table. On the left side I would add a lamp, something with a rounder feel to it to counter all the strong angles in the room and furnishings. A ceramic piece would be good, and then do another one on the side table by the couch to get more ambient lighting in the room. Perhaps something like this from JCP:

cole table lamp

Not crazy about the floral piece. I think it is the blue filler flowers. I would pull that out, and replace it with some green grasses that would feel less rigid, as well as drop over the edges of the vase to break the line of the container for a more interesting look. I would also get rid of all the small things on the table - you just don't need them, and they look lost there.

I would take those two boxes that are by the chair and use them under the console table instead. I would look for something round to put by the chair, again to break up some of the hard lines in the room.
    The manzanita branch would be more effective if it were stained a bit darker, and perhaps stood up a bit more so the people on the couch don't feel like they are at risk of attack! LOL Maybe add the other piece that you have as well, for more volume in the corner. I would add the nest and eggs, and also consider twining in some of the little tiny white lights they have now - I think they call them rice lights, or use one of the inexpensive uplights on the floor behind it to add light there and also throw interesting shadows up onto the walls. Once you get the manzanita in the pot, be sure to cover the plaster with some moss and stones.

You are doing a great job in the space, and I love the slate floor. I wouldn't add a rug.

• littledog
    16 years ago

My completely unprofessional, 100% free opinion; I like the art, you did a nice job. I'd put them all on one wall, lower down, and then print up about four favorite photos in sepia tones (minimum 5X7, framed as 8X10, bigger would be better) for the other wall.

I agree with Bud, the Grecian urn is lost. I think the floral arrangement would look better "mussed up" a bit and put in a smaller ceramic pot similar to the one the big branch is in, only perhaps in a darker shade of that smokey blue. Also, an area rug would be an easy way to add color. The right rug could really play up the wonderful colors of the floorin addition to the blues and browns.

I don't know if I'd put anything else dark at the window, but a tortoise shell colored bamboo shade might be nice, pulled down about 1/4 of the way. The white chair is interesting, but to me, (and this is just me) it doesn't "fit" with the modern furniture; maybe it wants to be black or smokey blue, or a really dark brown? Then again, that's what I do to all the odd furniture at my house - paint it. (Hey, I said I wasn't a professional)

Is this a formal sitting room, or is there a television or something else in the corner that serves as a focal point? If so, you could hang the two smaller art works in that corner, and use larger photographic prints over the table.

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

WOW!

I didn't see the room before (I don't think?) but I want your sofa and matching chairs, your drapery, your white chair, definitely your tree branch and of course your flooring!

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

They are still available Amity. Target has them.

I got mine at HOBO already put together. I read reviews on this furniture and it sounds like a bear to put together. I was lucky. I am guessing they were a return from Target and unloaded at HOBO. I have the couch, not the love seat, and one chair. The couch was $199 and so was the chair. They are comfortable and stain resistant. They haven't shown any wear at all and I use them a lot. The cushions are held in place with Velcro and are one sided so you can't extend the life of the couch by flipping the cushions. Hobo also had these in a light colored wood and a more of a Terracotta cushion too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milano Loveseat

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all who have commented so far. More ideas are welcome too.

amity, thank you for your comments. I am so glad you like my try at decorating this room. This room has been a little mini-brainstorming project on my part.

littledog, thanks for taking the time to critique. I have lots of photographs I can utilize as art and have done so in other parts of our home, so I may consider that in this room as well. As for the cane chair, I wanted something else in the room besides modern - to break up the stiffness of the modern style - I am working at how to accomplish that in this room. Actually my chair is very pale blue, but I think I need to darken it a bit for the room. Several folks have mentioned a shade of some type - and I might just try that in this room (Every time I mention something to DH about what our decorating needs, I can see his eyes saying isn't the room done yet, i.e. you have to buy more stuff?). I have another floral arrangement - I'll repost when I get the smaller art pieces framed or other pieces of art. There really is nothing that serves as a focal point in this room other than the view or the art on the walls. This room is more of a conversation or formal sitting area. Our home has a great room adjacent the living room. The great room has a fireplace, sofa, TV, bookcase, a dining table, and a kitchen with a peninsula with bar stools - all of which are open to one another in one big room - so we pretty much live in that room, but happen to have this living room too. I am having the most fun decorating the living room though.

meltnaz, my room does have a pinkish tone - it is my standard color for homes till I decide what to paint. I have had a fear of color in the past and am learning to bring that into my home. I actually used color in my two bathrooms with pretty good results - those two will be posted soon. I am having a hard time picturing the chargers on the wall - but I am thinking I might be able to utilize them - perhaps only two - somewhere in the room. I think sometimes art should be three dimensional rather than one dimensional and the chargers would accomplish that. The artwork is supposed to be centered above the loveseat, but I had moved the end table to the other side and when I did that I had to move the loveseat down which threw it all off - but I will definitely center whatever ends up going above the loveseat.

les917, thank you so much for taking the time to look at my living room in detail. I have been reading your suggestions on other threads and I really admire your expertise. You always have such great suggestions. I showed DH the drapes you had orginally suggested and I think they would be better in this room, but he said - why do they have two different colors? Also I was afraid the blue color would have been too dark for what I was wanting - but now I am seeing that shades of the same color are sometimes better - I am learning as I go along. I love the lamp you picked out - I actually saw something similar at Pier I recently and liked it. I am now thinking along the same lines as you that the white shaded lamp isn't correct in the space. Now that you mention it I see what you mean about the floral, I will post the other one in the space tomorrow and if not a go, I will try to adjust this one. Thank you so much for your idea about mounting the large art piece on plywood with a darker frame - that is a great idea and would improve its stance on that wall tremendously. I almost put those boxes under the sofa table - but wanted something by the chair too. I have been looking for something round but not sure quite what style to put there - most round tables are either gate leg with splayed legs that don't seem right or a ultra modern boxey looking side table that isn't what I want either. I actually thought about stringing some of those lights on the manzanita branch - not familiar with the rice lights you mentioned, but I will research them - I like the idea of them being very small. The ceramic vase has holes in the bottom to string the cord up through. I was going to put sand in the vase to increase the weight to hold up the manzanita rather than plaster - so I can change it later if I want - I will just tape the holes off so the sand doesn't spill out. I had planned on placing black stones or moss on the top as you have suggested, once I am sure I am finished with the arrangement. I will definitely edit out some of the items in the room. I am seeing that sometimes less is more. Again thank you so much for your suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and suggestions. Believe it or not I had several other renditions before I posted this one. The curtains were supposed to be the blue ones shown in my daybed room posting (but they were too short for a sunken room - boo hoo). The light chair was originally on the other side. I also had five large reddish brown bamboo poles in the vase - but their lines were too hard and stark for the space so I substituted the manzanita branch.

I will post rearrangements and adjustments later. I might not get to it till after the weekend, because I have a tour tomorrow and a party here on Saturday, so I have much to prepare for both. But I will post soon with some more photos. Thanks again to all.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bud_wi - I am jealous, you got yours for less dollars than me - do you have photos of yours to post - I am sooo curious.

amity - I got mine at Target, their photo shows them in a lighter tone, but the are actually as shown in my photos above. They aren't that hard to put together, just have to turn a little provided screw driver multiple times to tighten it down. The cushions do have a zipper so they could be removed and recovered at some point in the future. We don't plan on sitting on them much, since we have the family room, so they should last - unless the cats get to them.

I saw Walmart has a chair similar but more Mission style - they all must be made at the same place.

• kim2007
    16 years ago

That slate floor is fabulous! I can see why you don't want to cover it. And I like the fabrics of the pillows. They echo the grid lines of the flooring.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kim2007, thank you about the slate floor, we almost put a light colored tile in that room and I am so glad we didn't. I never even noticed that about the pillows - what a good eye you have.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!