SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Static Roman Shade as Valance

funkyart
11 years ago

I am batting around ideas on how to stretch 3 yards of a fabric into window treatments for 2 window banks in a breakfast nook area-- each bank has two windows that are standard width but short. I was hoping that I could make 2 blinds for each bank-- but there just isnt enough yardage for that.

I've spent hours trying to locate the fabric-- if I could only buy more, there's be no problem. The fabric is over at the other house and I dont have a photo-- but it's "chinese bird" by Jack Valentine Designs. The print is large and a mix of bright yellow and retro blues and greens. I think it's gorgeous and I want to allow the print to show. I am also not a big fan of traditional valances.. so what I am thinking is that I'll make a roman shade style valance but make it stationary in a position about 1/3-1/2 way down the window-- much like the photo below. I'd back the shades with either a linen or a coordinating fabric.

Does this sound hokey? I don't need privacy in this location--I do want to cut the afternoon sun and add some color and softness to the room.

If this makes sense, then my next question is-- there's a door in the room that will have a blind. Is it ok to use a coordinating fabric there rather than the Chinese Bird? I am imagining either a thin stripe in the same colors or a solid linen. What about the adjoining kitchen? Would it look out of place to use a different fabric on that window? Could I use matchstick bamboo blinds under the valances and then carry them through to the door and the kitchen window?

Wish I had a photo of the Chinese Bird print-- I can add one tomorrow but for me, the print is perfect enough for this space that I want to work to find a way to use it!!

Comments (22)