SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Another nice antique little CL find

My3dogs ME zone 5A
15 years ago

I bought this table months ago, but hadn't started to re-do it until last week. The original finish was quite bad, but I liked the size and style of the table, especially the little 'acorns' hanging from the scalloped trim. I bought it from a woman whose hubby used it as a night stand, and they both hated it. It was from his grandmother's family. The finish was so dark and bad that I didn't even know what type of wood it was until I started to remove the old finish. It's walnut.

The original finish made me think that perhaps it had gotten too close to a fire at one time. See how the legs' finish was all little bumps? I used Parks furniture refinisher (Howard's wasn't enough for this piece) and 0000 steel wool and an old toothbrush.

In this pic, I had started to dissolve the original finish on parts of it that appear lighter. Always work in a well ventilated area, like your back yard! :-)

The table is all handmade and has hand cut dovetails in a sort of hidden drawer with no pull. The drawer is facing you in the shot above.

Here are some shots after removing the thickened old finish, and just applying tung oil. No sanding at all, and no stain. I'll wax it when the tung oil dries. Won't this make a nice end table or night stand?

Comments (26)