SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirlz5

Radiant Heat Flooring?

prairiegirlz5
15 years ago

Hi. I hope you can help me here, or direct me to the right forum please. I posted this in Flooring too.

We have a ceramic tile floor, but no heat source in our first floor bathroom; we think it must've been a closet or part of the original entryway at one time. It is located just inside of, and behind our front door, off the LR, right before you hit the stairs. This room is COLD in the winter, particularly with the door mostly kept closed. And partly because the enclosed entry porch is unheated as well.

It's a tiny space (59" x 44"), which we've already re-tiled once, with the world's ugliest tile and white grout. Yikes. I'm ready to tear that out. My question is, should we go with a radiant heat floor mat underlayment? I want to hear about your DIY experiences installing radiant heat flooring.

There are white porcelain fixtures, a square-ish pedestal sink, tub and toilet. We're strongly considering replacing the seldom-used tub with a step-in rectangular shower. We use the soaking tub in the upstairs bathroom.

I like the idea of using the same-look tile (I know to use wall tile on walls, and floor tile on floors) in both spaces, maybe something similar to the honey colored tile we used in our basement bathroom remodel? With a stainless towel bar, and a small mirror. The walls would be painted Toasted Cashew or something like that, same as the other bathroom. Which we don't get to currently enjoy, because our 20 yro daughter lives down there for now. Or do you think we should maybe do something very different? I value your opinions. :)

Comments (6)