SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Home-A-Rama, Eye Candy Lots of photos

judithva
12 years ago

I went to our local Home-a-rama yesterday and took a few photos that I thought some of you might enjoy. I was not able to take as many as I would normally do as I was with someone not into photographing rooms, so I did not want to bore her by having to wait for me. But anyway, here are a few shots. I have 12 more shots, but it takes along time to load and to put on GW, I will add them in later.

ADDED NOTE: Sorry some of the photos at the beginning are very large, I added the rest after them to a medium size.

Comments (57)

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinycastles, glad you enjoyed the pics. Around here, the homeshows are very staged, and sometimes I do wonder why they put somethings in them that seem a little strange (like the mice in the kitchen, and the particular arrangements in the glassed panty) LOL
    As far as ceiling fans go, they are used much in this area of hot, humid, Virginia, they are useful in keeping down the utility bills summer and winter. But I would agree in the children's room, it did seem to over power the girls canopy bed, there are others that would have fit the space better I think.

ttodd, thank you so much for remembering me, it has been awhile that I have posted..no computer(virus-crashed)and I have been renovating my LR, DR, and kitchen, so the money is going into that first, I sure do miss regular internet access :(

stinky-gardner, glad you enjoyed the pics...more to come.
    The items behind the stove are the Builders awards, he was trying to "advertise" himself..but I don't know why he chose to put them there. I didn't get pics of any bathrooms, the show was very crowded, I was with a co-worker who I did not want have wait until the crowd cleared out for me to get a pic....I wish now that I did....
    Yes, these photos were taken in Suffolk, Virginia

Joanie38, those mice are sneaky creatures LOL

dtchgrl, Yep, more pics are coming. I only have colors for one house, the builder had the brilliant forsight to print up a lovely brochure with all the paints, where they bought certain things etc, a really nice touch, I wish more builders would do it.

Enjoy the tour..

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Judith, that's my local Home-a-Rama! I didn't get over there this year. Some of them around here have been over the top recently, and I lost interest. Suffolk is about 1/2 an hour drive from my house. Sorry I didn't go...maybe I would have seen you there!

• Related Discussions

some eye candy for you (lots of pics)

Q

Comments (16)
    Chris.. I would consider it actually a cross of the two.. not dark burgandy but not royal purple either.. my picture was ffo in bright sunshine.. will watch and post some future shots too as a comparison. Ann.. I'll be so curious to see your seedlings. PRR was new to me last year and I missed the blooms.. so I am anxious to use the pollen this year.. I'll be a couple of years behind you with some seedlings..but will be fun to compare. INDIAN RIPPLES was one of my favorites that day - I have very few diploids so I froze the pollen today for use when I have one in bloom. Shelly
    ...See More

Candied Kitchen, (but not eye candy?)

Q

Comments (40)
    There is a house for sale by us that was renovated 7 years ago, with pink carpets washed oak and very 80's-early 90s looks. The seller feels they are selling an updated house but the buyers think it needs to be gutted. Some people are stuck in the past at the time of their lives they were happiest. Or, someone aspired to have a certain look and could not afford it at the time. They forgot to update their wishlist when they finally had cash. The sad thing is a person with a lot of money/huge house and poor taste has more chances to make mistakes and the mistakes are in a larger format.
    ...See More

Eye Candy Fun -- Retro Home Pin Board

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for posting this! My neighborhood is from the 1930s and 1940s, and many of the details are so familiar in the drawings! I've been searching for old photos for design inspiration, and this is very helpful. We still have a lot of original baths and kitchens in the neighborhood. My hall bath, in fact, has the period tile (although we put in a different floor -- herringbone marble from another era -- I just don't like black and white check -- it is so hard to maintain. And vintage sheet flooring can be a lot to handle. Couple of things I noticed: wood floors are a rarity in the collection and subway tile is nowhere to be found. I see glass fronted cabinets and white kitchens, however. The LR in the link below, from 1936, could very well fit in today. Here is a link that might be useful: 1936 Glam This post was edited by gooster on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 0:52
    ...See More

School House Homes - More Eye Candy

Q

Comments (12)
    Those are wonderful, and thanks for sharing. I love to see repurposed buildings like school houses and churches that have been converted to houses, especially when they use features of the original building in unique ways.
    ...See More
  • tinycastles
    12 years ago

Ooooh, thanks for posting more pics judithva! I love seeing these. Most of the houses around here look nothing like these houses, so it's fun to ogle them. Alright, now let's get down to business. More commentary.

That first Master Bedroom is very nicely furnished. I like the window treatments.

Love the plaid shades. Were they made of silk?

Interesting that every pillow on the couch in that one room was a different color to tie in with the plaid shades. That room has some of the largest lamps I have ever seen!

Very cool how they used square windows turned sideways in the Breakfast Room.

My favorite was the study/office with the bookcase wall. I wish I had that in my home! The ladder is awesome.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

stinky-gardener, that is so cool you live near by. But you are in luck,it is going on till this weekend. You can get a $3.00 off coupon by going on the Suffolk, VA Home-a-rama website. It would have been fun to see you too!

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinycastles, whoops, missed you while I was posting to stinky-gardner.
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Sorry, I was moving so fast thru the houses that I did not get to linger too long anywhere so I am not sure if they were silk or not.
    I loved the library too, I am a big reader so I would love to have that too (minus the desk), just the comfy reading chairs and lots of books.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

judithva,

Coincidentally, I also went to our local home-a-rama yesterday! (Charlotte, NC area). I will say that every house we saw had that same gray blue in many of the rooms... When I came home the BM currant red that I love in my breakfast room started getting on my nerves. I really appreciated seeing your photos - these homes seem a little more cheerful. Also, four out of the 5 homes I saw yesterday had white kitchens, so seeing the brown cabinets in your pics was nice. My house is only 3 years old and felt dated after what I saw!

Here's a link to the photo gallery for one of the homes in case anyone is interested...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyras Custom Homes Charlotte Home-A-Rama 2011

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Loved both photo shows, especially Charlotte's!!! Very well done.

On the VA homearama, I think they OD'd a bit on the mouldings & columns & faux greenery - geez I haven't seen faux greenery for YEARS. Otherwise VERY nice.

I AM jealous that you guys had Homearamas - ours was cancelled for this year. NONE of the homes from the Homearama sold last year, so no one wanted another house in their inventory that they couldn't sell. ***sigh***

Thanks for posting so I can live vicariously.

~Jeana

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Judithva, thanks for posting such beautiful pictures. It's kinda funny because I just finished sanding the wainscoting and stripping my wallpaper in my DR. Underneath the wallpaper is the exact color blue as in the second DR you posted. Right down to the same wine glasses I have, haha. I am planning on painting it dark gray this time. Thanks for sharing.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

southernfrenchie-Thanks for posting that link. Wowza!!! I am saving several of those photos for inspiration pics.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Wow, thanks to everyone that took the time to share photos. I enjoyed looking at them!

• homeagain
    12 years ago

I used to live in Va Beach and never missed their Home-a-ramas. They were so over the top you just had to go. As soon as I saw the first pic I immediately knew where these photos would be from!

But I must say I loved the blue paint in the first house, that cute little window treatment in the breakfast room, those retro globe hall lights in the yellow house, the master in the second group of photos and the library wall.

Thanks so much for posting. I'm off to check out the Charlotte photos now.

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Love the bedroom drapes in the second set of photos--I want them! And windows tall enough to merit them.

The room with the colorful shades had so much stuff in it I got claustrophobic looking at the pictures. The colors are so lovely but I can't stand having so many tall and varied decorative touches on every surface--it looks a little like a lamp farm, between the (very pretty) lamps and the lamps on the console and the light on the fan and the sconces on the fireplace, etc.

But lovely!

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting these photos for us Judith!

I am happy to see you posting - I miss seeing your ideas and input!

I saved a few of the pictures to my files.

I have a very similar red dining room that I am tiring of. That photo gives me some ideas to spruce it up.

I wish we had home-a-rama in CT!

Dawn

• dakota01
    12 years ago

The ceiling fans with the drum shade is what I have been looking for and can't find !!! I hate my plain white fans that I put in my FR...

Thanks for posting the pics - I think the builder did a great job on the trim work and just the space layouts look really nice.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I really like that orange BR in the VA show. Also like the blues.

The Charlotte one is nice, but does not speak to me as much. I do like that one drum chandy in one of the BR's.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Leafy, the room you disliked is the one I liked the best! lol. When I saw all the lamps I was glad to see others with many lamps in a room. Our lamps are out of necessity because the room is large.

The lighted pantry should have held cookbooks, or at least put a lot of food in it.

I loved all the rooms but I don't like the TVs on the mantels.

Thank you for the pictures!

• gigi7
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing these! I'm just in love (surprisingly for me as I'm not usually an orange person) with that orange bedroom in the second set of photos....what color do you think that might be? Reminds me of orange sherbet! I love the accessories, especially the beautiful green, with that color....what awesome inspiration! I'd love to consider that in my house....thanks so much!!!
    Kathy

• mary_ruth
    12 years ago

Beautiful photos as usual Judith! Thanks for sharing!

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Anybody know the what the blue wall color is in the very first couple pix?

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Thank you sooo much for posting the photos. How nice of you to share with all of us. I really loved seeing what's new and what's true in holding up style wise. I love the blue colors and the clean look of the homes. Not too much stuff in all the homes and they're not all Pottery Barn'ed. Great job and tip o the hat to all the designers, vendors and the builder who all worked so hard on making them beautiful for us to enjoy and tied up their inventory for the show. Thanks again for posting. I was able to get some ideas from the photos. That was fun : )))

• jbax
    12 years ago

These are some of the absolutely coolest chair I have seen, although I would go with a different cushion fabric.

Do you happen to know who makes them? Would love to find more info about them.

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• biochem101
    12 years ago

^^^^chair cushions above^^^^^^

I thought it looked like what old people do when they can't always make it.........

Or when the dog gets old and has "issues".

If I walked into someones home that's the chairs I'd avoid sitting on.

(chairs w/o those cushions = different story)

• jbax
    12 years ago

I completely agree.

Really really like those chairs.

Really DO NOT like the cushions.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Is it just me, or is that Dining Room rug way too small for the table/chairs?

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, this is the first time I have had to get back to a computer.

I am glad you all are enjoying the "tour", whether one likes the decor or not, it is always fun to see what is out there. Because of the economy there are many things that the show was lacking this year compared to others (not as many extras/high-end amenities), but there were still good ideas to be had for all. I live in a very, very small house, but I always come away with inspiration that I can still incorporate into my modest home.

jbax, I don't have the show book hand-out that has info in it here with me right now, but I check when I get home to see if they listed what furniture store was used in that home and I will post back to you tomorrow.

As for the others asking about colors, only one builder supplied paint info, and that particular house no one has asked about the color choices for that particular house so far.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Added note: I just went to the website of the builders and many homes have utube videos of the inside and outside of the homes. House 1, 2, 3, 8, and 9 has videos of the houses, the rest do have floor plans though if you want to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Videos of the inside and outside of the houses

• mistychaz
    12 years ago

Love these pics...has anyone seen the ceiling light fixture featured in the hallway pictures? Where one could be purchased?

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyrus1,

If you click the link it will take to to the particular builder who did this house. In the info is the designers name and phone number, and there are a few listings of where they borrowed the furniture and accessories from. If you really want to know where the light came from you could call the designer, I am sure she would tell you the info you want. HTHs

Here is a link that might be useful: INFO ON HOUSE

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting those. I really like the house.

Had to go back up to see the mice, ha.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to post these for us to enjoy, Judith. I know I did! And, agree with everyone who thought the glass-walled pantry was bizarre. My initial thought was that it was some kind of giant showcase for special artwork treasures . . . until I took a closer look, that is (LOL)!
    Lynn

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sheesharee, glad you enjoyed the pics. I am sure the designer would have never realized the attention that she would receive on the mice. LOL

Lynn, You are welcome, I am happy to share.
    Hmmm, if it were my house/pantry, I would have probably made it into a dish "pantry". I have a few beautiful sets of formal china and sets of crystal that I use alot, so I think it would be a nice place to display them and have them closeby and easily obtainable along with having the beauty of the dishes highlighted (but I am not the norm, I have more dishes than most)LOL

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

What mice? Where? I enjoyed looking at the pics Judith, thanks for posting.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The fourth photo down of the kitchen. On the mantel shelf over the stove...tiny little fake mice display. LOL You can barely see them on a small screen, I think many folks have large computer screens, they can see them better.

• hhireno
    12 years ago

I have more dishes than most
    judithva, have you checked out the Holiday forum? Those people, LynninNM included, have some incredible collections of dishes. I have to warn you - if buying dishes is already a weakness for you, then reading posts there might make it worse.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hhireno, thank you, actually I practically "lived" over on the Holidays forum, great group of gals. I haven't been much though since my kitchen, DR and LR have been under remodel for about a year now, so I can't do the entertaining like I used to.

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures, I love the colors in the second set.

Probably will get nailed for this, but I was horrified to see the huge TV mounted on the wall in the dining room ... what a shame.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I see them now! I do have a big screen but the word mantel had me looking at other things.

• mistychaz
    12 years ago

Thank you Judith for the info....

• phoggie
    12 years ago

Thank you SO much for sharing these pictures....I could move right into the first one...now I need to go back and really take a closer look~ I love Home Shows....and glad you took the time to post them for us.

• finz2left
    12 years ago

Anybody have guesses on the blue paints? What colors give that look in your home?

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Judith, great to 'see' you again! When are we going to see how the re-model is going? Did you find a 'place' for the refrigerator?

In case no one has 'met' judithva, she *is* the holiday/tablescape/vignette decorator....and then some! Hope you don't mind Judith, but I just have to prove my point!

Go to the archives for lots of pictures. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Judith's blog

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

You can see Judith's home demo as well as more of 'what she does' on these sites. Sorry Judith, but I can't keep such beauty to myself. It just needs to be shared with the newbies. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: GW sites...

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pamghatten, actually that was the Keeping room attached to the kitchen, not a formal DR, the formal DR is in the front of the home see the Link for floor plan.
    Bumblebeez, glad you found them. :)

cyrus1, you're welcome.

phoggie, you're welcome too, I am glad you got enjoyment from the show. I enjoy touring the homes, I will never have the money for houses of that size, but I gets lots of inspiration from them.

Finz2left, sorry I can't help with the colors, I MIGHT go back to the home show after work on Friday..it depends on the weather (raining or not), if I go I will ask them what color of blue they used.

Pattycakes, thank you, you make me blush!! I am getting ready to post some updates on my small remodel, I still have aways to go though, I have lots of details to do still :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for pamghatten

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

LOL! Whatever the heck a "Keeping Room" is ... thank goodness it's not the formal dining room.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Judith, may I be so nosy as to ask...do you live in Tidewater? (I prefer the old term "Tw," to "Hampton Roads!") I live In Virginia Beach.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

stinky, I live in Hampton. So depending on where you are, we're any where from 30 min to an hr apart..I think LOL

• User
    12 years ago

This photo... unbelieveable. The builder should be hiding... It's as if s/he thought, if some molding is good, then a LOT of molding will be great! And did not even think to plan it out so that it looked like s/he did it on purpose, not this awful hodgepodge.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Judith!

My sis has been renting a place in Hampton (very close to that beautiful new shopping area) since she sold her house in W-burg in July. Her new-to-her completely gutted & renovated house (1950 ranch on the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth) will be ready November 7!

I like Hampton quite a lot. When we'd drive over to W-burg to see my sis, my fav part of the drive was when we'd just approach & cross the bridge where Hampton begins. Loved seeing those pretty old houses on the water. Hampton has character and history & personality, not unlike Portsmouth where I was born ( but very unlike "The Beach!" LOL!)

Nice knowing I have a neighbor here!

• loribee
    12 years ago

Yummy, yummy pics!
    Makes me want to pop my tv up over my FP. Thanks so much for sharing and lovely to "see" you, Judith!
    Must check out the other Home pix now, too.

• judithva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

stinky, your sister's home sounds really nice, maybe she will post here and give a photo tour of her remodeled home.

I'm not from Hampton, my dad was in the service and my ex was too so I have lived all over the world. I came here due to my ex's duty assignment. I do enjoy VA Beach, my DD and I often go over there for the shopping and other activities.

Maybe we'll run into each other some time? :)

Loribee, glad you enjoyed them, and thanks for the welcome.
    I was hoping to go back to the home a rama after work, but it is going to be rainy today, so that puts a damper on me going back I think to take more photos. :(