SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

The (-) of accessible "high design" & disappearing basics

palimpsest
11 years ago

A few months ago I complained about the inability to find plain pillows in a variety of colors in basic fabrics, which used to be a stable at places like Sears and Penneys.

I have found a couple more things that have become very hard to find, and can't be found at all locally, particularly if you are looking for a budget fix.

Lampshades with a spider fitting at the top that are plain, white or off white. Pink with a damask print on them? Check. Pagoda shaped leopard? Check.

White rod pocket sheers. (I know I can order these easily at Penneys). But in nearby stores? Burgundy striped? Sure. Black with grommets at the top? Yep.

A plain wipe your feet on it runner made out of bound remnant, the kind you put in the basement or garage. I want one for my attic which is raw 1840s space, but a potential buyer wants to go in it. No matter how many times I clean the floor it's still sooty.

I can find faux oriental, purple shag, a combination tiger and leopard pattern, and a bunch of faux-riche patterns that look like the Vatican's doormat. And, they are not Nearly as cheap as they look. I have a client that manages to find the plain brown or grey ones and buy them because they are "neutral" and then wonders why her decor is starting to look "off" but that's another thread. I will have to ask her.

Bed reader/sit up pillow in plain cotton fabric. (The Company Store has good ones but even their covers are mostly perenially out of stock). One in fake fur? Plentiful. NFL team logo? Yep.

Bedspreads. Forget about it. I think that unless you spend a bundle the only buyer for an actual bedspread (rather than "set", "comforter", "duvet" etc. is brothels, in-house rehab centers or 1940s period movie props directors.

If I want merlot satin, a tan ripcord, or aqua chenille, I have my pick.

Comments (25)