SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Talk to me about track lighting please

neetsiepie
10 years ago

We are going to replace the original light fixture that is in our long, dark hallway. At this time, there is no plan to add more lighting to the hall (duct work is in the way) so we're stuck with this light that must go at the shorter end of the hall-which happens to be centered in the door ways.

We have ruled out flush mount ceiling lights-definitely do not want a b**b light! And a chandelier would not work unless it were very short-the current vintage chandy fixture is only about 10" drop total-and frankly, that doesn't put out enough light to illuminate the far end of the hall.

So that leaves us with track lighting as an option. I've never lived with it-would it bring enough illumination? Assuming the globes are directional-are there pros and cons to this type of lighting? I know that I'm never going to get that far end brightly lit-but if I can at least get it bright enough so I can clean the floors with confidence, I'd be happy.

The hall is about 12 feet long from the light fixture to the door at the end.

As to style, I prefer more traditional rather than contemporary. Don't care for stainless or white metals-and I really would prefer to have a light that is easy to change out the bulbs. The original fixture globe has been broken because of multiple pieces to be removed when changing the bulb. Is there a homey, traditional style track lighting style? Or am I limited to contemporary?

Comment (1)