SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinycastles

Custom framing quote...yowza!!! would love to hear your thoughts

tinycastles
12 years ago

So I have a large print I am getting custom framed. It is 30"x40". (See pic below.) It was a gift from my mom and came in a very simple red oak?? wood frame that completely clashes with my fireplace stone and the dark stained trim/beams/mantle. The print does not require glass or any repair. It is printed on a heavy board-like material and has a slight texture, almost as if to make it appear like an oil painting. I wanted to get it framed in something dark, either dark brown/bronze or black. I also wanted something ornate to look more cohesive with the art in that area of the house (3 original oils, all framed in more of a gilded/wide/ornate frame. 1 giclee in a black ornate frame with red rub-thru with a gilt inner frame).

At my local framing place, I chose a very wide black ornate frame with no gilding. No linen matting. No glass. I know it's considered bad form for a lady or gentleman to discuss money with strangers.... But I'm gonna anyways;) The quote was just shy of $600!

I then went to Hobby Lobby and picked an even better frame. This one was also matte black and ornate, but had a beautiful gilded inner frame that was probably 1 inch wide or so. That quote was $260. Naturally I decided to have it framed at Hobby Lobby.

Does this discrepancy seem odd to anyone, or has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone used Hobby Lobby for custom framing? It's okay, I want to hear the good, the bad, the ugly. Dang, I like to shop local and all, but with that price difference...

Comments, suggestions, personal rants are all welcome.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County