SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zuzus_petals

Your thoughts regarding self-confidence

zuzus_petals
15 years ago

I have been considering hanging out my shingle as a residential design consultant and stager. I have a bachelor's degree in interior design, a master's degree in design and planning, and real-world experience in several design-related fields.

Here's my dilemma: I am paralyzed by a lack of confidence. In my home, I have little problem determining what needs done where. However, I find it difficult to give OTHERS advice, even when asked. (Not that I don't have an opinion. I just have trouble expressing it, usually out of fear of sounding like an idiot.)

Also, it's the idea that a complete stranger would pay me good money to assist with something so... personal... as the function and aesthetics of their home. It's hard to quantify -- would I be giving them their money's worth, in their mind? What if they didn't feel that I did? What if they were offended/mystified/disgusted/enraged by my suggestions? That would be tough for me.

Have you had experience with trying to bolster self-confidence in life? How did you do it? Any advice for taking that first big step?

(Sorry to ramble; I've been trying to get my head around this whole thing, so I can get ON with it already.)

Comments (23)