SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Kitchen colors and continuity

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

So, for the beachhouse, I have pretty much decided on Northstar retro appliances. I don't want a 2013 kitchen, and my house in CT already has a subzero tarted up to look like an icebox, so I don't want to do that again. Hence I will do a kitchen in my 1906 house that looks like I put it in the 40s or so, I hope.

I have narrowed it down to four colors: blue, white, yellow, or green.

White is the easiest... but I want to take a risk I wouldn't do in my primary home. I'd only do white if I paired it with pink and green. Last night I saw Sleepless in Seattle with my kids and she had a kitchen those colors --- but she was in a Victorian, this is a Dutch Colonial, so I don't think its right for the house. Too cutesy.

Blue (turqoise) is the most logical since I am basically trying to "blue up" to whole house in order to bring the ocean in...

Green would also work because it is harmonious with the turqoise.

BUT, I saw yellow in the showroom and it looked so ... appetizing. Like vanilla pudding. It was pleasant, fresh. It didnt' seem as trendy as turquoise, or as insistently retro as the jadeite green, KWIM?

So, a few questions:

1. Would you use yellow appliances in a house if you didn't plan or particularly like yellow anywhere else? i.e., I really prefer homes where every room seems to flow naturally from the last room, and all are of one. Do I have to add a nod to yellow somewhere else if I have it here?

NOTE: the kitchen is buffered a bit by a butler's pantry and a hall; it is not visible from any other rooms.

2. The only "givens" in the kitchen are one wooden china cabinet, and I am pretty sure I am putting in a black/white diamond patterned floor. The trim is wood but I may paint it in that room (it and the lone cabinet are pine or oak, IDK, but mid tone).

What color appliance do you think would be best?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (63)